Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default State game lands shooting ranges

Mostly curios about sgl 242 shooting range. I haven't shot at one before and am curious about what you can and cannot do at them. Is their any magazine capacity limit? Is their a rule on how fast you can fire a semi auto? Can I set up steel plates?

Thank you for any info you may have

(York County)

Default Re: State game lands shooting ranges

Everything you may ever want to know:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

Shooting Range Permit Regulations

CHAPTER 135. LANDS AND BUILDINGS

Subchapter J. SHOOTING RANGES

§135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.

(a) General provisions. In addition to §135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) and except as provided in §135.182 relating to Ranges, State Game Lands No. 176), the following pertain to lands under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, designated as rifle or handgun ranges:

(1) Rifle and handgun ranges are open from 8 a.m., prevailing time, until sunset Monday through Saturday and from 12 noon to sunset Sundays, unless otherwise posted; except the Sunday immediately preceding the regular antlered and antlerless deer seasons and the regular bear season, when the hours are 8 a.m. to sunset.

(2) A range may be reserved for exclusive use by an organized group from January 1 through October 1. An organized group desiring to reserve the range shall make necessary arrangements through the appropriate regional director or a designee at least 20 days in advance.

(3) An individual may not use the range when in use on days when it is reserved by an organized group.

(4) An individual or an organized group using the range is responsible for keeping the area clean and free of debris, and may not discard, deposit, leave or throw litter except in approved refuse containers. Range users shall remove targets from range backboards when shooting is completed and prior to leaving the range.

(5) The Commission is not responsible for anyone injured on the range. An individual using Commission owned ranges does so at his own risk and assumes all responsibility for injuries to a person or property caused by or to him.

(6) When more than one person is using the range, a range officer shall be designated.

(7) An individual under 16 years of age may not use the range unless accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.

(8) The appropriate regional director or designee may close a range by posting signs to that effect.

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee, it is unlawful to:

(1) Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.

(2) Discharge a firearm, except from an established shooting station on the firing line at a paper target placed on a permanent target backboard.

(3) Discharge armor piercing, incendiary, explosive, tracer or multiple projectile ammunition.

(4) Be intoxicated, use or possess an intoxicating beverage or controlled substance on the range.

(5) Possess an automatic weapon.

(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).

(7) Shoot clay birds anywhere except areas designated by the Director by signs stating that clay bird shooting is permitted.

(8) Possess, load or discharge a firearm for any reason without possessing a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Commission-issued range permit signed by its holder. This prohibition does not apply to persons 15 years of age or younger or up to one person accompanying another person in possession of a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Commission-issued range permit.

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.

§135.182. Ranges, State Game Lands No. 176.

(a) In addition to §§135.2 and 135.181 (relating to unlawful actions; and rifle and handgun ranges) the following exceptions apply to ranges located on State Game Lands No. 176, Half Moon Township, Centre County:

(1) Ranges are open to the public Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, from 8 a.m., prevailing time, to sunset. In addition to the periods in this section for public use of the range, the Regional Director or a designee has discretion to grant special use of the range during any period. At other times, the range is closed to public use.

(2) A group or organization desiring to use the range shall make necessary arrangements with the Northcentral Regional Director or a designee at least 20 days in advance.

CHAPTER 147. SPECIAL PERMITS

Subchapter Z. STATE GAME LANDS RANGE PERMITS

§147.1001. Purpose and scope.

This subchapter provides for range permits to be issued to eligible persons to authorize their holders to utilize established rifle or handgun ranges or designated clay bird shooting areas located on State game lands.

§147.1002. Eligibility and application.

(a) Range permits will only be issued to persons 16 years of age or older who do not possess a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license.

(b) Applications for range permits issued under this subchapter shall be made on a form provided by the Commission.

(c) Applications must include the name and contact information of the permit applicant.

(d) The fee for a range permit will be $30 for residents and nonresidents.

§147.1003. Range permit.

(a) A range permit issued under this subchapter authorizes the permittee to utilize established rifle or handgun ranges or designated clay bird shooting areas located on State game lands.

(b) Permittees shall utilize established rifle or handgun ranges or designated clay bird shooting areas located on State game lands in a manner consistent with applicable requirements, conditions and restrictions provided for in the act and §§135.2, 135.41 and 135.181 (relating to unlawful actions; State game lands; and rifle and handgun ranges).

§147.1004. Violations.

The Director may deny, revoke or suspend any permit for any violation of this subchapter upon written notice to the permittee.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2

Only 3 shots? Welp guess I won't be shooting there.

Can't even patern a turkey gun I guess cause that has more the. One projectile

(Lackawanna County)

face palm worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    face palm worthy.
    Now I'm not somebody who wants to do mag dumps as fast as I can but I like running my ar to the top of it and my potential.. Taking three carefully aimed shits at a sheet of paper is not gonna hone your skills unless your new to the sport

(Washington County)

You can take 3 carefully aimed shits at paper as long as you have firm stool. Doing the same while suffering from diahrea would be illegal. Having multiple projectile (scatter shits) is a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by jaron3 View Post
    You can take 3 carefully aimed shits at paper as long as you have firm stool. Doing the same while suffering from diahrea would be illegal. Having multiple projectile (scatter shits) is a no no.
    Just saw my mistake your post had me lmao though

(York County)

They need to post more on #6, cause most have no clue about running a range and who's to be "designated". I've been there when the PO showed up and asked "who's range officer", and everyone looked at each other. Wow, did he get pissed. Threatened write ups and the whole deal. Most people who go there are clueless about such things and why it's important. The past few years, my time there has been very limited, and not because of the price of ammo. Makes me hinkie to go and watch people sweep other people.

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    They need to post more on #6, cause most have no clue about running a range and who's to be "designated". I've been there when the PO showed up and asked "who's range officer", and everyone looked at each other. Wow, did he get pissed. Threatened write ups and the whole deal. Most people who go there are clueless about such things and why it's important. The past few years, my time there has been very limited, and not because of the price of ammo. Makes me hinkie to go and watch people sweep other people.
    Last time I was at a game land range.as a RO I was threatend by inner city types that didn't have the first clue about range safety, when i called a clear .they were shooting their glocks at 100 yards and an ak from the hip, they didn't even bother to hang paper. Handled and loaded the weapons when everyone was down range, I was threatened when I politely asked them to put down their weapons and step off the.line. I went home nd never went back, I joined DCFS
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast