Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Building an AR15 Pistol

I hate to dig up a way old thread, but I have a Palmetto State Armory stripped lower laying in my closet. Also have the itch to buy a pistol kit. Never been assembled, only transferred to me as a receiver.
    So if I purchase a kit and build it, do I need to re-register my weapon? Or am I okay?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Az2287 View Post
    I hate to dig up a way old thread, but I have a Palmetto State Armory stripped lower laying in my closet. Also have the itch to buy a pistol kit. Never been assembled, only transferred to me as a receiver.
    So if I purchase a kit and build it, do I need to re-register my weapon? Or am I okay?
    you are "ok".

there is no "registration"... so you cant "register" it much less "re-register" it.

as long as the receiver has never been built into a rifle, you can build a pistol for it.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

As he said your alright in digging this up, these are the threads that make sense to dig up.

Also, not to be an A-hole to Knight...but we've since established as a group here at the POOFA that you CAN buy a virgin receiver with a butt stock on it, such as the polymer lowers that come complete....and as long as you remove the butt stock before you build your pistol its legal.

The only thing I wander is, OK...we've satisfied the ATF,..but what about the PSP? What do they need?
    [account deactivated]

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    As he said your alright in digging this up, these are the threads that make sense to dig up.

Also, not to be an A-hole to Knight...but we've since established as a group here at the POOFA that you CAN buy a virgin receiver with a butt stock on it, such as the polymer lowers that come complete....and as long as you remove the butt stock before you build your pistol its legal.

The only thing I wander is, OK...we've satisfied the ATF,..but what about the PSP? What do they need?

thats not any ATF opinion that I've ever read, pertaining to removing a factory installed buttstock from a new lower and calling it OK to build a pistol from.

can you point to a ATF legal notice, law, or letter indicating this as fact?

also, the PSP needs nothing past point of sale info when buying something that qualifies as a concealable firearm... there is nothing a buyer needs or should do.

EDIT: spoke with an firearms lawyer, and he confirmed that the ATF has issued a "opinion" letter on this, that more or less matches what Franky said.

reminder, ATF "opinion" letters are NOT legally worth squat to anyone but the addressee, and the ATF does not keep track of these... so use caution.
    Last edited by JayBell; June 6th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Cumberland County)

Nice! Thanks for the clarification boys! Pistol kit here I come!

I have been digging around for info on this. Can I buy a lower receiver marked "pistol" and build an Ar pistol with it? Or do you have to go the virgin receiver route? I see these 'mega' lowers for sale on gunbroker. Cant I just buy one and build a pistol legally?

(Lehigh County)

umm... the one you show a picture of is a virgin receiver, so yes, you would be good to go.

(Allegheny County)

Hate to necro a thread, but I figure this one's got good info...

Can someone please clarify a few points for me....

- If I buy a stripped or 'virgin' lower, my understanding now is that I can build it anyway I want (other than an SBR) without any paperwork?
    - If I buy from an FFL, obviously it will be in their books regardless (or does a stripped lower not go in the books as it's not complete)
    - If I were to buy a 'virgin' lower from a private party, does it still need to go through an FFL as it is neither a pistol nor rifle at that point, but an "other"

I'm slowly saving to build a pistol, and want to make sure I stay 100% within all the legal mumbo-jumbo.

I'm still unclear about all of the legal hoops too.

If I buy a complete lower, it needs to be transferred by an FFL? This is what I was told by my FFL.

My hope is to build an AR that doesn't need a serial number, any transfers or Government paper trail.

Can this be done with a buying a complete lower and complete upper kit separately or do I need to go the 80% route and find someone (other than my FFL who does gunsmithing) to finish it for me (since I do not have the tools)?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    Hate to necro a thread, but I figure this one's got good info...

Can someone please clarify a few points for me....

- If I buy a stripped or 'virgin' lower, my understanding now is that I can build it anyway I want (other than an SBR) without any paperwork? YES
    - If I buy from an FFL, obviously it will be in their books regardless (or does a stripped lower not go in the books as it's not complete)From an FFL- in the books
    - If I were to buy a 'virgin' lower from a private party, does it still need to go through an FFL as it is neither a pistol nor rifle at that point, but an "other" ---as long as its Just a virgin lower FTF in Pa no FFL needed

I'm slowly saving to build a pistol, and want to make sure I stay 100% within all the legal mumbo-jumbo.
    this is my understanding....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast