Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia -- Out of State Student -- Help!

Hi there,

I hope I put this under the right thread. So, I'm an out of state student (from Arizona), meaning that my permanent residence is there -- I do not legally have to change my ID. ANWAYS, I was looking at the Philadelphia PLCF and it says that in order for an out-of-state resident to qualify they need a similar license in the state their permanent residence is. . .

However, Arizona allows Concealed Carry, as long as you're not restricted, near a bar and/or near a school (I'm simplifying here -- 23 yo female).

I'm not going to lie -- the crime statistics out here freak me out. Especially after seeing the video of that girl in Germantown getting kidnapped on Sunday, Nov 2.

So, does anyone have suggestions about what to do? Should I (1) Go ahead and fill out/submit the PLCF or (2) Am I able to get an (unnecessary) permit from AZ and use that out here (or is that just not going to fly?).

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Philadelphia -- Out of State Student -- Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaLove View Post
    Hi there,

I hope I put this under the right thread. So, I'm an out of state student (from Arizona), meaning that my permanent residence is there -- I do not legally have to change my ID. ANWAYS, I was looking at the Philadelphia PLCF and it says that in order for an out-of-state resident to qualify they need a similar license in the state their permanent residence is. . .

However, Arizona allows Concealed Carry, as long as you're not restricted, near a bar and/or near a school (I'm simplifying here -- 23 yo female).

I'm not going to lie -- the crime statistics out here freak me out. Especially after seeing the video of that girl in Germantown getting kidnapped on Sunday, Nov 2.

So, does anyone have suggestions about what to do? Should I (1) Go ahead and fill out/submit the PLCF or (2) Am I able to get an (unnecessary) permit from AZ and use that out here (or is that just not going to fly?).

Thanks!
    You will need the license from Arizona to get a PA LTCF. Once you have the Arizona version of the PA LTCF you don't really need a PA one, but as the PA one is only $20 for 5 years it is probably worth getting as well.

You probably want to try getting one from a different county than Philadelphia though to avoid unnecessary hassles. Philadelphia has or had some rules that were a bit beyond the actual statuary requirements. Some of those recently should have changed per a lawsuit settlement, but you still may find it easier and faster to try maybe Bucks County instead of Philadelphia for the non-resident LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB0 View Post
    You will need the license from Arizona to get a PA LTCF. Once you have the Arizona version of the PA LTCF you don't really need a PA one, but as the PA one is only $20 for 5 years it is probably worth getting as well.

You probably want to try getting one from a different county than Philadelphia though to avoid unnecessary hassles. Philadelphia has or had some rules that were a bit beyond the actual statuary requirements. Some of those recently should have changed per a lawsuit settlement, but you still may find it easier and faster to try maybe Bucks County instead of Philadelphia for the non-resident LTCF.
    What he said^ And just an fyi there is nothing German about Germantown. In the mean time you can carry pepper spray and I believe a taser. Oh and some more advice, remember when your mom said "Nothing good happens after mid-night"? She was right.
    Be safe and good luck
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    What he said^ And just an fyi there is nothing German about Germantown. In the mean time you can carry pepper spray and I believe a taser. Oh and some more advice, remember when your mom said "Nothing good happens after mid-night"? She was right.
    Be safe and good luck
    Can't carry a taser/stun gun in philly. $300 fine or 90 days in jail.

(Philadelphia County)

You may want to start by calling the PPD Gun Unit, and asking a few questions about non-resident LTCF requirements. Many out-of-state students have Philly-issued PA LTCF permits. In any case, if you live in Philly, you'd be wise to have the LTCF issued by the PPD.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    In any case, if you live in Philly, you'd be wise to have the LTCF issued by the PPD.
    Until such time as all recent legislation is in force, I don't see how making someone get their valid-everywhere-in-PA LTCF from the GPU - with all the extra-legal requirements - makes any sense, just because they live there. Philly *residents* don't want to go there, why would you subject someone to that?
    Last edited by Sgt.K; November 4th, 2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo

(Indiana County)

Someone from Arizona, or Arkansas, or Alabama, or wherever, currently enrolled as a student in one of the state's institutes of higher learning maintains a residence in Pennsylvania for as long as they attend said institute.

As a resident of Pennsylvania, he or she is required to obtain an LTCF in the county of their residence.

The law doesn't state one must be domiciled in Pennsylvania, nor does it specifically require a Pennsylvania driver's license or other State-approved I.D. It only states one must be a Pennsylvania resident.

Such people should not be considered as out-of-state licensees.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Someone from Arizona, or Arkansas, or Alabama, or wherever, currently enrolled as a student in one of the state's institutes of higher learning maintains a residence in Pennsylvania for as long as they attend said institute.

As a resident of Pennsylvania, he or she is required to obtain an LTCF in the county of their residence.

The law doesn't state one must be domiciled in Pennsylvania, nor does it specifically require a Pennsylvania driver's license or other State-approved I.D. It only states one must be a Pennsylvania resident.

Such people should not be considered as out-of-state licensees.
    I stand (sit, crumple in exhaustion...) corrected.

I still see no reason, though, to recommend the GPU for *any* non-resident...

(Montgomery County)

You can read the reciprocal agreement between AZ and PA at the link below by scrolling down to Arizona. As I read it, you need a concealed carry permit from AZ. That will be honored in PA. You would not need a PA concealed carry permit. I would not complicate things by trying to get a PA permit. You will just get caught up the bureaucracy, especially if you apply in Philadelphia. You might be turned down because you are an AZ resident with an AZ permit that is good anywhere in PA. Finally, if you have any concerns, I would suggest you contact the PA Attorney General's Office. In the meantime the permit you need from AZ.

(Berks County)

OP, the thing to learn is what areas to avoid and always be aware of your surroundings.

I don't know what school you are attending or what part of town you are living in. I don't expect you to publish it on an open forum, but every step out of your comfort zone will not necessarily be bad.

My youngest Daughter graduated from Temple and is still living in Philly 9 years later.

I wish you well on your education. Good luck on your search inre the carry rules.

PS my guess is Drexel U.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast