Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default So you CAN concealed carry in Philadelphia?

I was surprised to read that here; I always thought that you couldn't. Does that apply to the Temple campus as well? Like if you're walking around the city with a concealed pistol, and then wander on to the campus, is that then illegal?

(Chester County)

Default Re: So you CAN concealed carry in Philadelphia?

I Am Not A Lawyer

If you have a LTCF you can carry concealed in the city of Philthadelphia. As far as on the campus of Temple University...? I don't know what their "rules" are regarding firearms. Seeing as how this is Philly, I'd suspect that they prohibit firearms on campus.

My advice is that concealed means keeping it concealed.

If you are on campus and your gun is found out, then they can tell you to leave. Failure to leave then would mean an arrest for trespassing.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualmatt View Post
    I was surprised to read that here; I always thought that you couldn't. Does that apply to the Temple campus as well? Like if you're walking around the city with a concealed pistol, and then wander on to the campus, is that then illegal?
    This can swing several ways. You CAN OC/CC in Philly with a valid LTCF. OC= a few heads turning and occasional harassment. I mean this is Philadelphia we're talking about. Temple... I'm not sure is private property??? Most colleges/uni's are. You have to check their handbook etc.

I know there have been members here in the past that go to the University and do carry on campus. It's a bad area and you want to carry. So...it's all up to you. Keep it concealed & you'll have no problems! Worst thing that can happen is they ask you to leave for trespassing.
    Last edited by SFMarine; July 1st, 2008 at 11:15 AM.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Montgomery County)

The sidewalks are public whether or not you are on what Temple considers its campus. There is nothing Temple could do if you were carrying on public property if you were properly licensed. Hell they can't even legally ask if you are - thats the job of police.

(Indiana County)

If you have an LTCF, or a license recognized by Pennsylvania, you can carry anywhere you want in Philadelphia, including Temple University.

Of course, if you're a student/faculty member/employee of the University, they have enrollment regulations or terms of employment that will get you canned if you carry. If you're just a regular citizen, carry away - university rules are not laws, so all they can do is ask you to leave.

You should also be aware of the approximately 55 acres of downtown Philadelphia that come under the auspices of the National Park Service: http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps...torical%20Park

Until the NPS gets its collective head out of the sand, firearms are prohibited while on these sites.

Contrary to the belief of some, Philadelphia cannot write its own laws on the carrying of firearms.

(Lebanon County)

My husband works PT for a college (not Temple) and I'm not a lawyer either but we were just talking about this last night. He said most colleges are EXTREMELY liberal and have it in their policy that if students are carrying while on the property it's automatic expulsion...even if they let it in their car while they're in class. If you're a student there I would recommend checking what their rules and regs are for students and faculty but if you're a private citizen passing through I would imagine that they can't do anything to you if you're CCing other then to ask you to leave if they notice? I could be wrong though...many here know the law so much better then I....
    Last edited by shefearsnothing; July 1st, 2008 at 11:46 AM.

Yea, I'm actually a student at Penn State at the moment, though I plan to attend Temple's Dental school after my undergrad is over. I was just curious what the situation was there, as I know it's a pretty sketchy area.

I'm pretty sure I can't carry on the PSU campus, but I also have absolutely no need to—State College was rated as the 4th safest city in the country a little while back. That pretty much means I can go to sleep in the middle of the road with my wallet on my chest and somebody would probably wake me up and give me a few extra bucks just for the hell of it.

(Indiana County)

...if you're a private citizen passing through I would imagine that they can't do anything to you if you're CCing other then to ask you to leave if they notice?
    Correct! As stated, a college rule is not a law.

(Montgomery County)

You can cc and open carry in philladelphia if you have a valid LTCF.. But carrying at all requires a LTCF... If it is a state scholl it may be prohibited... Otherwise it is PROBABLY just a rule and as such has no legal weight. They can kick you out of the grounds but you should be arrested unless you don't leave when asked... I'm no attorney either..

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    You can cc and open carry in philladelphia if you have a valid LTCF.. But carrying at all requires a LTCF... If it is a state scholl it may be prohibited... Otherwise it is PROBABLY just a rule and as such has no legal weight. They can kick you out of the grounds but you should be arrested unless you don't leave when asked... I'm no attorney either..
    Yea, I got my LTCF yesterday actually. I found this site while searching about laws, regulations, and general carrying advice.
    Last edited by Virtualmatt; July 1st, 2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast