Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: Carrying without testing?

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    I will run a full magazine thru my new handgun to make sure it reliably feeds and fires PDX-1. I would be an effing moron to take a risk with my life and have the gun potentially jam.

I consider making your own self defense ammo on par in stupidity with handing your guns over to the US government. It's a bad idea. Think about it...

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. Many people make this claim out of the misguided notion that they'll "bury you under the jail" if you carry your own ammo. It isn't so. I don't carry my own ammunition for quality reasons, not legal ones.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

Maybe he didn't retire. Maybe he was removed for reason of insanity. He is insane. I guess he never heard of an out-of-the-box failure or a stress caused malfunction like misalignment caused by the dynamic forces while firing. No matter what he doesn't know, I think he ought not be allowed to have a gun because he is not treating it safely.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. Many people make this claim out of the misguided notion that they'll "bury you under the jail" if you carry your own ammo. It isn't so. I don't carry my own ammunition for quality reasons, not legal ones.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Even if I studied every book about reloading ever published in the English Language, the odds of me producing a better round, consistently, than Hornady are pretty slim.

It is after all, what they do for a living.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say. Even if I studied every book about reloading ever published in the English Language, the odds of me producing a better round, consistently, than Hornady are pretty slim.

Interesting. I've always considered my reloads superior to factory rounds if I'm going for quality. I know Hornady isn't sitting there with a trickler getting exactly the same amount of powder in each case, exactly the right crimp and seating depth for my gun etc.

Instead, they're going for quantity over quality.

I would trust my reloads more because I'll bet we've all had a substandard round come out of a factory box.

Absolutely crazy to carry a firearm that isn't broken in, let alone never fired.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    I like to make sure that my guns work before I might need them to protect myself or even keep from embarrassing myself in a match. I figure that most of us do the same thing. Right?

Recently, a retired state trooper of my acquaintance was telling me about his carry gun. I asked how it shot and he said that he didn't know. I was incredulous and asked, "How do you even know that it will work when you need it?" He replied that it was from a reputable manufacturer so he figured it should work.

Wow.
    That would be way outside my comfort zone. As corny as it sounds.... I want my carry gun to be an extension of me that I have complete confidence in. No surprises if I were to need it. Safety or no safety, long hard pull, short easy pull, reset, weight in hand, type of recoil, etc.... Not to mention does it actually work as advertised. A buddy of mine had a Kimber not to long ago that shot fine once then had a variety of problems after the first shot. He had to return it for work before it worked properly. Not the type of thing to find out when you really need it.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Interesting. I've always considered my reloads superior to factory rounds if I'm going for quality. I know Hornady isn't sitting there with a trickler getting exactly the same amount of powder in each case, exactly the right crimp and seating depth for my gun etc.

Instead, they're going for quantity over quality.

I would trust my reloads more because I'll bet we've all had a substandard round come out of a factory box.

Absolutely crazy to carry a firearm that isn't broken in, let alone never fired.
    Personally speaking, I've had more primer issues with my reloads than malfunctions with factory target ammunition. Granted, I use shitty, cheap wolf primers, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I have never experienced any issues with factory self defense ammo. Now, I've only fired a little over a thousand factory Gold Dots in my entire life, so my sample size is pretty small.

You would think the actual loading process and quality control process is different for different "grades" of ammo, but I could be wrong.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(York County)

Not only do I test fire every carry weapon, as well as make sure it is broken- in, I test fire every round.

I want to be sure every one works perfectly.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    I consider making your own self defense ammo on par in stupidity with handing your guns over to the US government. It's a bad idea. Think about it...
    Until you get a round with no flash hole or no anvil in the primer. Then you just may want to inspect each component yourself....

You would think the actual loading process and quality control process is different for different "grades" of ammo, but I could be wrong.
    The failure rate is less with a premium JHP but it is still there and flaws are still found. A distributor (for Winchester) posted the percentage on another site but I don't remember what they were anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post

I don't have so much confidence. Especially after I have found blatantly obvious screwups myself in ammo made by them. If they miss that they can miss something much smaller.

Myself I usually like to run 100rds of carry ammo thru the gun to make sure it functions. I have fired 2 or 3 mags full already before issues showed up with the round that made me not carry it.
    Last edited by dkf; November 4th, 2014 at 01:27 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Wow, amazing. Can't believe people are that stupid.

Anything I rely on for defense or a match gets a test fire, even after a cleaning. Any new type of ammo gets a grinder of testing as well.
    Does that mean your guns are always dirty? I carry a clean gun and wipe it down twice a week, stainless. If it was blued I'd do it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I think that's incredibly common. In every class I teach, I'm met with stares of incredulity and disbelief when I recommend they run 500 rounds of ball, and at least 100 rounds of their chosen carry round through their gun before carrying it.
    This. And at least 100 rdsoutof each. New or spare magazine. If you. Belong to a club with magazine restrictions, load all your magazines up and change them out every 5 rounds. Or verify with the RO you are doing magazine reliability tests.. 100 rds is 2 boxes of 50 , you gget. 100 rounders of WWB for 40 bucks. Ffull day at the range.. I found a pin walks out of my ruger SR 45, back too the factory she's going when I am feelinng better. Better at the range than the gun figghht...I.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; November 4th, 2014 at 03:08 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast