Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PGCA - PA Gun Collectors Assn

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I was speaking with a few dealers at a small firehall show a few weeks ago about this very subject.

The "traditional" practice of gun collecting is indeed changing. There is little or no demand from under-40 or even 45 yr olds for pre-64 Winchesters, S&W and Colt revolvers, and other (traditionally) collectible guns. The interest and emphasis today of most under 40 or 45 is primarily "black" handguns and rifles of a "tactical" nature, followed by milsurps.

The older traditional collectors of Winchesters, older Remingtons, and Colt and S&W revolvers are aging and dying. The market will become flooded with these guns and because of low demand prices will eventually drop, perhaps drastically. At the same small firehall show, there was one long-time dealer, a real fixture there for 25-30 years, had his usual racks of Winchesters and other "traditionally collectible" long guns. For the first time ever, he didn't sell a gun. Not. One. And Sunday afternoon he made the comment that a number of his "usual customers" did not show.

The market for sporterized milsurp boltguns has tanked, also. Why should anyone pay $350 to $500 for a sporterized Mauser or Springfield, even scoped, when a Savage Axis can be had for $300?

I am in the process of shedding most of my S&W collection for this very reason, because in 10-15-20 yrs when I'm 70-75-80 and HAVE to sell the guns, I'm afraid they won't be worth near what they are now.

The times are indeed changing.

Noah
    Completely agree. I like the older winchesters, ect. they have survived decades and are proven to be quality. However, I feel they are just a nostalgia piece, even for me, I used to hunt with my pre 64 243, now its a Kimber 308. my 243 will prob be my sons first hunting rifle, but not for me anymore. My dad has about 8 pre 64 70's and 4 71's. I have 3 pre 64's myself, I think its time to thin the heard before the market totally tanks.

Ammo prices have increased WAY too much, magnum calibers dont sell anymore as a 308 or 7mm can take down pretty much anything in NA. 50-80 a box for 348 if you can find it, 75 a box for weatherby mags. Too insane...

However, the market that is always constant is scopes. Everyone wants a good scope with good glass. However, doesnt make sense to me if you say I cant afford a good quality gun, then go by an Axxis and then go buy a Leupold VX3 or Zeiss scope. Those cost more than the gun. (as one person at the show did)

Can someone explain to me why people dont like the PA gun collector shows? I hadnt known there was any problems with people opinions besides location, which they are actively looking and taking suggestions on a new location.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by uaheclipse24 View Post
    <snip>

Can someone explain to me why people dont like the PA gun collector shows? I hadnt known there was any problems with people opinions besides location, which they are actively looking and taking suggestions on a new location.
    Me?

Their admission is as ridiculous as the Monroeville show and does NOT have to be as high as it is. So we don't go anymore.
    We can get enough pizza for a weekend of dinners for the cost of the two of us to attend Monroeville or PGCA.

We wait on the Wash Cty show - and with few exceptions see pretty much the exact same vendors hauling the exact same stuff they hauled to their Monroeville and PGCA show tables.

Plus the wear and tear on the car and aggravation of constant detours and closures - the Wash Cty show is far easier to get to/from and without having to park amongst soccer Moms Demanding Action In The Back of Their Mini-Vans Because Hubby Left Them.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Me?

Their admission is as ridiculous as the Monroeville show and does NOT have to be as high as it is. So we don't go anymore.
    We can get enough pizza for a weekend of dinners for the cost of the two of us to attend Monroeville or PGCA.

We wait on the Wash Cty show - and with few exceptions see pretty much the exact same vendors hauling the exact same stuff they hauled to their Monroeville and PGCA show tables.

Plus the wear and tear on the car and aggravation of constant detours and closures - the Wash Cty show is far easier to get to/from and without having to park amongst soccer Moms Demanding Action In The Back of Their Mini-Vans Because Hubby Left Them.
    Plus you can remain armed at the Washington show!
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I was being nice, but since he asked...

I stopped going because it's run by a gun buy-back organizer, which in itself is in direct conflict with any type of 2A event.

Some people don't feel gun buy back programs are "anti gun", they really take no issue with gun grabbers standing in front of a camera proudly boasting about making the city safer by getting these guns "off the streets".
    This joker works directly with these assholes. Fuck that - he's not getting any of MY money.

Maybe TheBearPack will chime in to explain how the same guy screwed him over by selling him a WWII gun with faked "papers".

Hope that helps.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I was being nice, but since he asked...

I stopped going because it's run by a gun buy-back organizer, which in itself is in direct conflict with any type of 2A event.

Some people don't feel gun buy back programs are "anti gun", they really take no issue with gun grabbers standing in front of a camera proudly boasting about making the city safer by getting these guns "off the streets".
    This joker works directly with these assholes. Fuck that - he's not getting any of MY money.

Maybe TheBearPack will chime in to explain how the same guy screwed him over by selling him a WWII gun with faked "papers".

Hope that helps.

And here I thought you were boycotting the PGCA show because it is held in the same shopping complex that used to house Dick's Sporting Goods.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    And here I thought you were boycotting the PGCA show because it is held in the same shopping complex that used to house Dick's Sporting Goods.

Noah

Nah! EM is boycotting PGCA because they charge to much for ammo cans!
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Here is my opinion on the three shows. I set up a few times at monroaville, havent set up there in 3 years, and I set up once at Washington, havent set up in 2 years. Ive set up a bunch of times with PGCA. I also attended their last meeting before this past gun show.

You need to have different shows at different parts of town. PGCA gets the North, Monroeville gets the East, and Washington gets the South, while the Ohio shows gets the West.

As a person who set sup every now and then to change around guns or sell when need some extra money I personally like the PGCA shows the best, from a "vendor" stand point. Well lit, wide isles, and a nicely run show. I have nothing against the organizers.

From a customer stand point I also like the PGCA shows for the very reasons I like it as a vendor. Well lit, wide isles not bumping into people or trying to squeeze through. There are no China made toy guns or helicopters around at their shows, no beef jerky, no jewelry or Tshirt ales either. I want to go to a gun show, not a mall.

Monroeville, has the worse traffic out of the three, at least for me, and it has a bunch of junk in it. About 40% is actually guns, and even at that most of them are black rifles. I think this is the worst show out of the three.

Washington is a hike for me to get to. It has three buildings that have very narrow isles, you have to squeeze your way through, good amount of guns, but still has jerky, tshirts and jewelry at it, not as much as Monroeville though. Also, the third Large building is not very well lit. Its too dark in there for me. In the summer its too hot and the Winter its freezing.

Monroeville and PGCA are $8 and Washington is $5. If people are complaining about a $3 difference, no offense, but you shouldnt be spending money on a gun or other things if $3 hurts your pocket book that much.

Sorry, just my O2 sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123