Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Question Advice on Glock 42

I have a CCP and carry a Ruger LCP. I like the Ruger but for the fact that since it does not have a safety I hesitate to keep a round in the chamber so have to chamber a round once out of the holster. And to be honest being a woman I have a difficult time with the pull so if in trouble that might affect my ability to quickly protect myself in an emergency.

I wonder, does the Glock 42, 380, have a safey release (which the LCP does not) and if so, is it easy to access?

Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Advice on Glock 42

Not owning one I cannot say for sure but I imagine the 42 is like every other Glock where you have the trigger safety along with the firing pin and drop safety but no actual manual safety.

If you are looking for a pistol in 380 with a true manual safety, can I suggest a P238? Not the cheapest and being SAO it's a learning curve but I love mine.

(Cumberland County)

The Glock 42 has no external safety.

(Montgomery County)

Invest in some training, it will solve the root cause that you have described. The LCP and the Glock 42 were designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, what you are trained to do is another subject entirely. Both are safe to carry with a round in the chamber and they will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

Following that line of logic (the pistols will only fire when the trigger is pressed) your concern is most likely due to lack of experience with your equipment and deficient technique.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Does the serial number of your LCP have a dash in it? Like xxx-xxxxx.

The newer LCPs without a dash in the SN have an improved trigger pull. It is shorter and lighter than on the older LCPs with the dash. If you have an older dash model and are having difficulty pulling the trigger buying a newer model would be an option. The newer models also have improved sights.

As already said there is not external thumb safety on a G42. Just the little bar on the trigger and internal safeties. The G42 is also noticeably larger than the LCP which is a pro for shootability but a con for carry. I would make sure you have a good holster, practice and carry +1. There are a lot of good holster options for the LCP including Kydex. Kydex hosters often have better retention depending on the design.
    Last edited by dkf; November 3rd, 2014 at 02:44 PM.

(Wyoming County)

Diane,
    I agree with Steve, and DKF
    I understand & respect your concern regarding lack of a physical safety.

First regarding the Glock 42. It's only external safety is a little bar on the trigger. It does not have a grip or slide safety.

In my humble opinion, the best safety on any gun is your trigger finger remaining off of the trigger until you are prepared to pull it. That comes with training. You mentioned that you keep your LCP in a holster, so that should prevent foreign objects from being a threat to the trigger.
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; November 3rd, 2014 at 02:27 PM.

(Franklin County)

The G42 does not have a manually operated safety.
    If you like the size of the LCP I would suggest one of other small 380s with manual safeties, such as the S&W Bodyguard.
    I've got an LCP (as well as a couple of Glocks) and I have no issue carrying them with one in the chamber. My personal opinion is it's safer leaving it alone in the holster with one in the chamber until it's needed than pulling it out and having to fiddle with it when it's needed, but each to there own.
    If I didn't already have an LCP I would get the Bodyguard. I think it's the all around package for a pocket gun, roughly the same size and just a tad more weight than an LCP, same price point with much better sights, second strike capability and a manual safety if you like that sorta thing.

(Juniata County)

Smile Re: Advice on Glock 42

Thank you all for your responses and advice.
    I am trained in the handling of weapons and used to carry with a round in the chamber but age is catching up on me and not as surehanded as I was a few years back and that is the reason for my safety concern.
    I will be going to my local gun shop tomorrow and will take each of your suggestions with me and discuss my options with the the owner.

(York County)

I just purchased my mother a Glock 42 over the weekend at Trop Gun. After using the range and have her try a couple of firearms, I also purchased the pinky extension for the magazine which made a world of difference for her in the grip. If you find yourself liking the Glock 42 but need a little extra for the grip try the pinky extension, I believe it was made by pierce. Gives a little more to the grip but still very concealable in my opinion.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by DianeL View Post
    I have a CCP and carry a Ruger LCP. I like the Ruger but for the fact that since it does not have a safety I hesitate to keep a round in the chamber so have to chamber a round once out of the holster. And to be honest being a woman I have a difficult time with the pull so if in trouble that might affect my ability to quickly protect myself in an emergency.

I wonder, does the Glock 42, 380, have a safey release (which the LCP does not) and if so, is it easy to access?

Thanks
    1. Glocks don't have safeties.

2. Do you have arthritis, or something? Because that's the only reason you should have trouble racking the slide. This "being a woman, I'm a weak pathetic creature" nonsense needs to stop.

The guns you mentioned have internal safeties, and heavy trigger pulls; there's no reason to not carry one with one in the chamber, unless you walk around with your finger on the trigger. I can rack a slide on a Glock, a 1911, a Keltec, or any damn gun you give me, and I have tendonitis in my hand.