Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default First year hunting, few questions

This will be the first year I will be hunting. I was browsing the pgc's website and I see you can buy the licenses online. My understanding is that your hunting license allows you (1) Buck in any WMU in the state correct? You would then need to purchase/apply for an antler less deer license in the WMU of your choosing, being that they are non transferable between units correct? I was wondering what is the process for acquiring these antler less tags? I didn't see an option for them online.

Also I was wondering how fast they "sell out" For example if I don't get my license until the end of this month, would I have missed the cut off date to acquire the license? Is it a "sooner the better" deal? I live in Montgomery County and my understanding is that they offer a lot of these tags because of the over population of deer. Can I apply for antler less deer licenses in multiple WMU's? My Grandmother has a place in Monroe and it is within walking distance of one of the SGL's.

I'm sure I will have many other questions as well :-/

Thanks

Tj

Default Re: First year hunting, few questions

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    My understanding is that your hunting license allows you (1) Buck in any WMU in the state correct?
    Yes.

You would then need to purchase/apply for an antler less deer license in the WMU of your choosing, being that they are non transferable between units correct? I was wondering what is the process for acquiring these antler less tags? I didn't see an option for them online.
    Also I was wondering how fast they "sell out" For example if I don't get my license until the end of this month, would I have missed the cut off date to acquire the license? Is it a "sooner the better" deal? I live in Montgomery County and my understanding is that they offer a lot of these tags because of the over population of deer. Can I apply for antler less deer licenses in multiple WMU's? My Grandmother has a place in Monroe and it is within walking distance of one of the SGL's.
    Start reading here, it should answer the rest of your questions.
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/p...eer_season.pdf

I'm sure I will have many other questions as well :-/
    Fire away.

Thanks

Tj
    10 characters

(Montgomery County)

Thanks!

A few other questions: I understand the requirements for orange and how they differ according to what you are hunting. As this is my first year I have no clothing for it (including the orange requirements). I would like to and have the intention to hunt Deer, Turkey, Rabbit, and Squirrel as well. What clothing recommendations would you have for these types of hunting? Is it better to buy now or wait until closer to the season for better deals? Other than the temperature differences between seasons and the orange requirements can you use basically the same clothing?

I was thinking about taking a trip to Cabela's to see what is what. In general is it cheaper there or to pick it up at a walmart, kmart, dicks etc?

Thanks

Tj

As long as you have orange on your head & a vest you're good to go no matter what your hunting. Where this becomes muddy is during Archery season & late muzzle loader, have to pay close attention to when other seasons come in.
    Doesn't really matter where you get it, WalMart crap is cheap (you get what you pay for) but it gets the job done. Check around, sales are always good but most stores are gonna take you for whatever they can becuase it's in season (get while getting is good) Most real deals come in the sale when the season is over.

You can download the whole digest.
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=460&q=174485
    Remember to take a hard copy with you hunting.

(Chester County)

Thanks!

A few other questions: I understand the requirements for orange and how they differ according to what you are hunting. As this is my first year I have no clothing for it (including the orange requirements). I would like to and have the intention to hunt Deer, Turkey, Rabbit, and Squirrel as well. What clothing recommendations would you have for these types of hunting? Is it better to buy now or wait until closer to the season for better deals? Other than the temperature differences between seasons and the orange requirements can you use basically the same clothing?

I was thinking about taking a trip to Cabela's to see what is what. In general is it cheaper there or to pick it up at a walmart, kmart, dicks etc?

Thanks

Tj
    The deals, if any are left will be better now than waiting. Cabelas sends me a flyer everyother week and they still have deals hunting clothes and boots. Stay away from plastic vests and the other Wally World cheapos. Game will hear you coming miles away when branches brush against that stuff. My personal preference is a vest so I can wear it over whatever is appropriate for the temperature and weather conditions. IMHO a blaze orange hat is a must because an over anxious hunter might mistake your head for a bucks butt in the early or later hours.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks, I'll check them out this week if I can get up there.

(Montgomery County)

Also. would I be correct to assume that having my LTCF permits me to carry while hunting and if so does that also include areas controlled by the DCNR?

(Lawrence County)

Also. would I be correct to assume that having my LTCF permits me to carry while hunting and if so does that also include areas controlled by the DCNR?

You're good to go as long as it's not a state park
    Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Something View Post
    You're good to go as long as it's not a state park
    Thanks, is there any way to carry in a state park while hunting? Or thats pretty much off limits no matter what? I fish a lot as well and wouldn't mind seeing this law changed, is there anything on the books to get this changed?

(Lawrence County)

Thanks, is there any way to carry in a state park while hunting? Or thats pretty much off limits no matter what? I fish a lot as well and wouldn't mind seeing this law changed, is there anything on the books to get this changed?

With no research done on my part, my answer is:
    No
    yes
    no clue

I fish a lot as well and when I'm not in a state park I usually shoulder holster carry with hip boots.
    Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast