Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Zones

(Delaware County)

Default School Zones

Carrying in School zones.

A couple of more questions on School zones.
    1. What distance from the school property is a school Zone in relation to LTCF? Is it basically where the school speed limit signs are?

2. If the zone extends past the school property line, How does the law affect those whose home is inside the boundaries?

3. If the zone extends past the school property line, what are the rules when driving past a school?

Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: School Zones

The term "school zone" comes from the FEDERAL Gun Free School Zone Act, and that zone extends 1000 feet from school property. If you possess a license/permit issued by the state in which the school is located, you do not have to concern yourself with the area of the gun free school zone that is off school property.

PA law only concerns itself with school property and school buildings.

Make sense so far?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

I live on the edge of the 1,000 foot zone. Part of my yard is in, part out. I cannot leave my driveway without going through it.

If I recall, I was OK heading to the range, with everything cased up in the back of the car. I could not, however, open carry while mowing half the lawn. I would have to disarm to take the trash to the curb.

The rules made my head spin though, so I just got my LTCF as soon as possible.

(Delaware County)

Thanks

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I live on the edge of the 1,000 foot zone. Part of my yard is in, part out. I cannot leave my driveway without going through it.

If I recall, I was OK heading to the range, with everything cased up in the back of the car. I could not, however, open carry while mowing half the lawn. I would have to disarm to take the trash to the curb.

The rules made my head spin though, so I just got my LTCF as soon as possible.
    FWIW the GFSZ restriction does not apply to your yard:

18 USC 922(q)(2)(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm-

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    OC on a lawnmower would arguably require an LTCF since a mower is a 'vehicle'.
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

A vehicle on private property though

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamltnblue View Post
    A vehicle on private property though
    In such a situation a person wouldn't run afoul of the federal GFSZA, but PA 6106(a) applies on public and private property just the same - so a LTCF would still be required.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    In such a situation a person wouldn't run afoul of the federal GFSZA, but PA 6106(a) applies on public and private property just the same - so a LTCF would still be required.

I only have a push mower, but I typically step into the street and off my private property while cutting and trimming along the curb line. In the end, I found the best solution was to get my LTCF

(Delaware County)

I believe an issue comes into play when passing through a school zone while carrying out of state. Assuming you're otherwise legal (have LTCF and in a state with PA reciprocity), you may still get jacked as the law specifies exception in state where permit is issued only.

It's in the federal code somewhere but I quickly found this confirmation from wikipedia:

"Although the Federal GFSZA does provide an exception for an individual licensed to carry a firearm, this exception only applies in the State that physically issued the permit.[1][2][3][13][7][16] All fifty States have provisions to issue concealed carry permits to citizens.[17] Most of these States also enter into reciprocity agreements with other States where each State agrees to recognize the other's concealed carry permits.[17] Because the Federal GFSZA requires the permit be issued by the State which the school zone is in,[1][2][3] it is difficult for a permit holder to travel outside their State of issuance to a reciprocating State without violating the Federal GFSZA"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I only have a push mower, but I typically step into the street and off my private property while cutting and trimming along the curb line. In the end, I found the best solution was to get my LTCF
    Yep..

Public easement is rarely the edge of the road. I have only found a couple places in PA in my travels and work that the public easement was the actual width of the roadway(or narrower than the roadway).

A person may think they are safe if there is no sidewalk in front of their house, but are still on the grass along the road, however in reality they are on public domain. Township easement are typically 33ft wide, state easements vary from 16.5ft to hundreds of feet(typically 25ft, 30ft, 33ft, 40ft, and 50ft for most roads). Urban easement vary greatly, and are often set at the founding of the town before the individual parcels are laid out. Urban easement range from 16.5ft to as wide as 100ft, but I have found a couple 8.25ft wide easements here and there.

I don't know how many times I've had to call out State Troopers or municipal police on a person who through he/she had full control of the land in front of their house while I was measuring for utilities.

Below is an example of what I mean.. The public RoW line is a few feet into the yard. This is from Johnstown's Westend. I had to research the easement widths to replace a pole on the right side of the drawing.

Last edited by knight0334; November 2nd, 2014 at 01:06 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast