Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default State state hunting etiquette

So I was out the other day at a state park and came across a ladder stand with no one in it and a trail camera set up not to far away. I was following a nice trail to and from a bedding area and the stand was set up in a perfect spot. So my question to you guys is would it be wrong for me to set up my climber stand in that same area? Obviously if the person was there I would find a different spot but no one was there and by the amount of leaves on the stand, no one was there yet this week.
    Last edited by 19dscoutsout; October 31st, 2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Did not proof read.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: State state hunting etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by 19dscoutsout View Post
    So I was out the other day at a state park and came across a ladder stand with no one in it and a trail camera set up not to far away. I was following a nice trail to and from a bedding area and the stand was set up in a perfect spot. So my question to you guys is would it be wrong for me to set up my climber stand in that same area? Obviously if the person was there I would find a different spot but no one was there and by the amount of leaves on the stand, no one was there yet this week.
    It's public land. You don't know when they are hunting. Go ahead and set up brother

(Bucks County)

I'd climb right in the stand and hunt. I used to set up stands on public land, and I assumed people made use of them. I can't be out there sun-up to sundown every day! As long as they don't damage it or steal it I don't care.

If someone else sets up a stand on public land and gets their panties in a bunch because I sat in it, let them. Also, one spot I hunt is a tiny SGL that I have had stands on, and since taking them down someone else put theirs up in the same spot. I saw a truck in the parking area the other day when I went to hunt, and actually drove somewhere else to hunt. The guy was there first, more than likely in the stand I would want to be in, and me trumping in there on foot would only ruin his hunt.

(Wayne County)

Only problem I see is if someone used my stand did he piss, smoke, throw his garbage, take a crap at the base of the ladder? I'm fussy, I don't know about you but please stay out of my stand if you find it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Only problem I see is if someone used my stand did he piss, smoke, throw his garbage, take a crap at the base of the ladder? I'm fussy, I don't know about you but please stay out of my stand if you find it.
    I'd be a bit hesitant to climb into someone else's stand. They might not be so cheerful and understanding if they showed up and found me there.

(York County)

Definately set up, but don't know if I'd use his stand. He doesn't own the land or have any right to exclusive use.

(Crawford County)

By all means, set up in the area of you'd like. Stay out of his stand though...it's very bad etiquette to use another's stand wo asking first
    Male RN

(Lehigh County)

Doesn't matter really if they use the stand they can piss,poop,lay garbage down without sitting in your stand. Question for me is, if your going to put a stand up on public ground expect it to be used. #2 take a piece of plywood and lock it to the ladder so other guys can't climb up. 3 it is against all codes to sit in a stand without permission from the owner. He took the time effort and you want to be spoon fed? Would I do it maybe. Spoon fed is good sometimes but I would be embarrassed if the owner came in on me as I sat there perched!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Montgomery County)

I definitely won't use his stand. I think that is just rude, but I have set my climber up in a tree in front of his stand. So I was just wondering what others thought about that.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Would you set up a bench in a public park and then get pissed if someone sat on it? It's public land. If you don't want someone else using it take it with you each time. What if they want to use that tree for theirs? It's not your tree and you can't capitalize a prime location 24/7 on public property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast