Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Phila. CCW Ban in City Parks?

I'm a NH resident planning to carry in PA (specifically Philadelphia area) over Thanksgiving while visiting family. My permit is valid in PA so I'm good there, but I've run across this ban that Philadelphia has on carrying in City Parks. (I'm sure it'll be challenged and repealed soon based on the new preemption statute Corbett signed, but not likely before Thanksgiving).

Trouble is I can't seem to find a list of those parks or any solid details. Anything specific I should know? Anyone have a link to a list of parks? Specifically it's likely I could be carrying in Pennypack Park. It's outside the city proper but is a park and I don't know if it counts.

Pennypack is often not busy and is rather secluded. It seems to me to be an optimal place for a mugger to pray on people and I just want a deterrent.

Help?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Phila. CCW Ban in City Parks?

I believe that the ban is still technically on the books but is not enforced and that also state law makes the ban null and void. As you mentioned, with HB80 being law now, that illegal statue should be cleared up soon.

I wouldn't worry about carrying in parks if all of your other carrying legalities are squared away.

(Bucks County)

Concealed has all of the important appearances of not carrying in a park or anywhere.
    Requisite "just sayin'"...

(Juniata County)

You could just open carry...
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lancaster County)

You should be fine especially considering they should actually provide firearms to people upon entrance to any Philly park. That statute pretty much told criminals where to properly rob and assault people. Also it's helpful that the statute is illegal.

But this is not legal advice and I am no lawyer so do so at your own risk. Sorry way things are now a days the disclaimer is necc.

Quote Originally Posted by NHDude4 View Post
    I'm a NH resident planning to carry in PA (specifically Philadelphia area) over Thanksgiving while visiting family. My permit is valid in PA so I'm good there, but I've run across this ban that Philadelphia has on carrying in City Parks. (I'm sure it'll be challenged and repealed soon based on the new preemption statute Corbett signed, but not likely before Thanksgiving).

Trouble is I can't seem to find a list of those parks or any solid details. Anything specific I should know? Anyone have a link to a list of parks? Specifically it's likely I could be carrying in Pennypack Park. It's outside the city proper but is a park and I don't know if it counts.

Pennypack is often not busy and is rather secluded. It seems to me to be an optimal place for a mugger to pray on people and I just want a deterrent.

Help?
    You're fine. Go ahead and carry. PA has state pre-emption on possession of firearms, which means local laws (ordinances) banning carry in public parks and are null and void. They are unenforceable and aren't enforced.

Just don't be an asshat about it. Also, since you'll be near Philly, make sure not to carry in federal buildings if you end up near one. That's illegal based on federal law.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.