Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: How old to purchase a handgun?

When you do a private transfer at a Sheriff, you do not fill out a federal 4473 - you only fill out the state police form. The Sheriff will make a call to the PICS, which may come back as "Under 21" but it isn't a denial.

§ 478.124 only applies to dealers because they are in the act of commerce - "(a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer". Since we are selling a pistol as items from our private property, and not doing so for business that law has no bearing as to transfers between private individuals.

There is no state or federal law baring the private sale or transfer of a handgun to someone 18yo to <21yo - however it must be transfered at a Sheriff because of the bound book issue.

I have a cheap Cobra .38spl derringer that I will GIVE to anyone(18yo+) that can prove there is a law that makes a private sale/transfer to someone at least 18 years old to under 21 years old illegal, or that it cant be done by the means that I have explained(Sheriff transfer).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

one thing i want to mention - the law states ammo cannot be purchased from an ffl unless the purchaser is over 21 - you don't need to have an ffl to sell ammo - walmart doesn't have one if they don't sell guns anymore, so it would be legal to purchase it there - and also, there are rifles in almost every pistol caliber - what exactly is pistol only ammunition???

also, the law states that no pics check would be required for a TRANSFER between parent and child - therefore it would be my understanding that one could legally purchase a handgun from their father.......... is that correct? if not, please show me where it says so..............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Bucks County)

I have a cheap Cobra .38spl derringer that I will GIVE to anyone(18yo+) that can prove there is a law that makes a private sale/transfer to someone at least 18 years old to under 21 years old illegal, or that it cant be done by the means that I have explained(Sheriff transfer). [/QUOTE]

that's funny - you can't lose on that one............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post

that's funny - you can't lose on that one............
    LMAO! hey now... any gun that goes bang is a good gun..

That one offered just happens to be my "lil buddy" when a holstered gun cant be carried due to environment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345