Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default What do you all recommend?

I'm curious as to what you all recommend for this type of situation...

Right now I have a .357mag. I carry it sometimes, but it's big, bulky and heavy. I have 2 kids that are with me most of the time and I don't like carrying it in my purse because of them. I'd like something smaller, that I can inconspicuously strap to my hip or ankle.

Should I go for a .38 or a .380? For whatever reason, I'm not fond of the semi-autos. I prefer the revolver... Can you all give me some insight/advice as to what and why you carry what you carry?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: What do you all recommend?

Well, you don't like semis, and .38 spl is more effective than .380, so I would say a smaller .38 spl in a lighter form.

Here is one commonly recommended type of carry ammo for short-barreled .38s:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel....38spl/.357mag

(Lancaster County)

What Frame size is your 357? Do you know what it weighs? Some of the small S&W 38/357s are only 12ozs or less. The cylinder on a revolver is wider than a semis slide yes but I'm with you. I like my revolver. I carry my S&W 342PD Airlite in either a Alleissi Deep Cover at my belly, or In a ETW pancake on my belt. The weight of the ammo+holster is more than the gun. It disappears and and you hardly notice it.
    I also have two kids (4&5) and never leave home with them not protected. Another reason to like the S&W Airlites? as my 5 year old daughter says, "it has a nice flower on it"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sit down! You'll never clear leather.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jennikz View Post
    I'm curious as to what you all recommend for this type of situation...

Right now I have a .357mag. I carry it sometimes, but it's big, bulky and heavy. I have 2 kids that are with me most of the time and I don't like carrying it in my purse because of them. I'd like something smaller, that I can inconspicuously strap to my hip or ankle.

Should I go for a .38 or a .380? For whatever reason, I'm not fond of the semi-autos. I prefer the revolver... Can you all give me some insight/advice as to what and why you carry what you carry?
    If you prefer a revolver does limit your choices somewhat. I do not know anyone that makes a revolver in 380. I am sure some one might.

There are many ultra light revolvers on the market. Smith and Wesson and Taurus comes to mind.

There are even 9mm revolvers.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lancaster County)

I carry a Ruger LCR in .38 special. It only weighs 13 oz so it's easy to carry, but you really feel the recoil. I had to practice quite a bit to become comfortable and proficient with it.

What I like about the revolver is that when I carry it inside-the-waistband at 2 o'clock, the curved shape of the back of the gun doesn't print on my clothing. With a semi-auto, the rear of the slide has corners that tend to print on me. Nevertheless, I'd like to switch to carrying a small 9mm for the greater ammo capacity.

Well if your not wanting a semi auto then your going win another revolver. Wearing an ankle holster can be uncomfortable and awkward for some and while I think it's a better way to carry then in your purse it just takes too much time to draw it if there is a direct threat in front of you. I would consider IWB carry with the right revolver/holster combo you will find its very comfortable.

Regarding small revolvers I would check out the S&W Airweight(.38 spcl), Ruger LCR(.38 & .357), and the S&W Body Guard revolver(.38spcl). These are all smaller revolvers designed with CC in mind. Don't let the .38 spcl throw you off there are plenty of +p rounds that show good penetration and expansion. Hornday also makes a reduced recoil .38 HP FXT in custom or critical defense with the intended purpose of going in the Airweight. These pistols all will have some snap and recoil due to the size but if you are already used to shooting revolvers then you should adjust quickly. I personally have a lot of experiance with the Airweight while it wasn't the most comfortable to shoot it's built very well feels good in the hand conceals well and is built to the same standards as its bigger brothers.

(Cumberland County)

+1 on the Ruger LCR. I just picked one up in 38 +P with crimson and it is very light. Taurus makes a 380 in revolver, steel so heavy. Would make recoil almost zip but I would go with the LCR and use Hornady 38 +P critical defense reduced recoil rounds. Good luck.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Blair County)

I'm going to assume that it's right around a pound... I don't know the specifics anymore, but according to the manufacturer's website that I just looked at, the particular gun I own is 16 or 17 oz with a laser grip. I wish I would have purchased something smaller and lighter to begin with, but I went based on the recommendation of my cousin and uncle (who are both big gun enthusiasts).

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jennikz View Post
    I'm going to assume that it's right around a pound... I don't know the specifics anymore, but according to the manufacturer's website that I just looked at, the particular gun I own is 16 or 17 oz with a laser grip. I wish I would have purchased something smaller and lighter to begin with, but I went based on the recommendation of my cousin and uncle (who are both big gun enthusiasts).
    You got it, 16.6 oz in 38 +P with crimson. It's a well made gun. I have the S&W bodyguard 38 with laser too and the Ruger is a much better gun. Too bad your so far, I'd let you try mine - but I'm sure someone up there has one Take it for a ride, I think you'll like it.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

The Taurus Poly 38 is actually a nice little gun too. I'm not a big Taurus fan, but I bought one of these for myself, and later one for my daughter and they are very lightweight, inexpensive ( picked up my daughters in white with bright green and black grips for $220 ). They are very accurate and I've had no issues. Only negative is the cylinder release is tight and a pain at times!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast