Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: What do you all recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by jennikz View Post
    I actually like the white... lol, maybe it's a girl thing?! I could carry that. Do they make pink grips?
    Yep
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115...evolver-rubber

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    If you prefer a revolver does limit your choices somewhat. I do not know anyone that makes a revolver in 380. I am sure some one might.

There are many ultra light revolvers on the market. Smith and Wesson and Taurus comes to mind.

There are even 9mm revolvers.
    Taurus M380.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

I don't know if I would recommend it over a .38spl, but they make it.

(Allegheny County)

I actually like the white... lol, maybe it's a girl thing?! I could carry that. Do they make pink grips?
    White is kinda, Apple-ish. Goes with the Macbook and iPad we have at home.

Anyway, leave it to Taurus to make a .380 wheelgun...

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...egory=Revolver

JMHO, but maybe look at a steel snubbie that can handle .38SPL +P, enough heft for +P recoil, but maybe it is the proper size for what you want.
    The day I decide to buy a carry gun - it will be a 6rd .38 snub with a hammer and the internal transfer-bar so that I can know in a nanosecond when its hot or not.

At the risk of your thread getting jacked by brand-fanz, there are many brands of .38 snubs to consider, depending on what you want to spend and can carry.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DoverDad View Post
    I'm considering one of these for my wife. Is the recoil less than a LCR or Airweight? (other contenders)
    About the same. I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of the Taurus - dead on! The only down side is that cylinder release, can be a pain - but getting better with use and lube!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I would suggest trying out a few things before you make a decision. If you really want to stick to a revolver then you have some very good recommendations above. Any would be a good choice. If you are seriously considering a .380 then the Ruger LCP, Kahr P380, S&W Body Guard, Kel Tec P3AT are all good choices for what you want and are all fairly reasonably priced. I have the LCP and it is very concealable and reliable. I have lots of rounds through mine and haven't had a malfunction yet.

I would try and steer you away from ankle carry. Drawing from an ankle holster effectively takes time and practice. It will be even more difficult to draw from this type of setup while carrying a small child as well because you will absolutely need both hands to draw effectively. Personally I would recommend one of the small .380's and pocket carry or strong side IWB carry. Much easier to draw if you need it.
    And this is the problem I landed in when I bought the 357. I'll probably keep the 357, just to have here at the house. I live in the middle of no where and like having it but for carry purposes, I want something small and lightweight.

Hokkmike Guest

I'm curious as to what you all recommend for this type of situation...

Right now I have a .357mag. I carry it sometimes, but it's big, bulky and heavy. I have 2 kids that are with me most of the time and I don't like carrying it in my purse because of them. I'd like something smaller, that I can inconspicuously strap to my hip or ankle.

Should I go for a .38 or a .380? For whatever reason, I'm not fond of the semi-autos. I prefer the revolver... Can you all give me some insight/advice as to what and why you carry what you carry?
    Most of the ladies I know have those small stainless .357/.38 5 shot revolvers. The only downsize is their recoil.... (available in several brands)

(York County)

What is your level of recoil sensitivity? One other factor I would consider
    is being able to deliver multiple rapid shots with one hand. In an emergency
    deadly force confrontation you may have no time for a two handed grip.
    Just something to think about. Choose wisely a revolver and ammunition
    you can handle with confidence and accuracy. JMO
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Lycoming County)

And this is the problem I landed in when I bought the 357. I'll probably keep the 357, just to have here at the house. I live in the middle of no where and like having it but for carry purposes, I want something small and lightweight.
    I really think you should consider one of the micro 380 or even 9mm pistols then. If you can handle the .357 then you can handle either of these. Pocket carry has it's advantages. If you feel something is wrong in a situation you can put your hand in your pocket and be ready if a need to draw arises. Also consider with the colder weather arriving you could try a good OWB holster with your existing .357 for the time being. Dress around the gun with a jacket or loose fitting sweater. A good holster and belt combo like that will make a world of difference in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I really think you should consider one of the micro 380 or even 9mm pistols then. If you can handle the .357 then you can handle either of these. Pocket carry has it's advantages. If you feel something is wrong in a situation you can put your hand in your pocket and be ready if a need to draw arises. Also consider with the colder weather arriving you could try a good OWB holster with your existing .357 for the time being. Dress around the gun with a jacket or loose fitting sweater. A good holster and belt combo like that will make a world of difference in comfort.
    I have a pocket carry 380 that works well when you really want to conceal. There are places where they discourage carrying and you just don't want the hassle and wasted time. Ask the doctor at the Mercy Hospital about the benefits of pocket guns.

Bonus, your tongue won't stick to a polymer frame if you lick it in the winter like it does with a steel-framed revolver.

(Lawrence County)

If you're set on a revolver, then try to see how heavy you can go before it's too heavy for you.

Lightweight revolvers are nice for how easy they are to carry, but an absolute bitch to shoot with anything but reduced loads. This may or may not be an issue considering that they're not meant to be smooth competition or range guns, and are meant for worst case scenarios when lethal force is required. Just know that it's something you'll need to be prepared for and accept.

If you're not completely set on a revolver, then there are plenty of smaller .380's out there that are small and can fit the bill. Understand that you'll have similar issues with sharp recoil from those due to the lighter weight.

There are also plenty of small 9mm semi's that'll do the job as well. Many of them are quite simple to fire as well. Rack the slide to chamber a round, then pull the trigger when you need it. Reloads are simpler and faster too.

S&W, Ruger, Springfield, Glock... all those big names will serve you well. Just make sure to look around and see what the current prices are, and how close you can get to the lowest one you find after transfer fees.

And remember, personal preference trumps a lot of things when choosing your gun. It's your hands, shooting style, needs that you're picking it for. Figure out what you absolutely need out of the gun, what you want, what's offered, and which fits your needs and wants best.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast