Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Old Iver Johnson

Always like the odd ball guns. My first Iver Johnson pistol. Liked the look of this little bicycle gun. The bluing is pretty evenly lost so I think it will be a great candidate for some 0000 steel wool then my favorite oxpho blue. It will give it that nice blue look but retain the age and worn look. Heck, the grips alone are worth the price I paid.
    Question for the experts - I'm going to research year of manufacture but I'm going to say it's probably a 22 black powder pistol. Rather than hunt for black powder loads, I was thinking of doing what I have done with some of my other older 22's and just shoot every now and then with 22 shorts. Safe?

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Old Iver Johnson

That's what I do, shorts in old timey .22's, or ratshot.

(Bucks County)

I don't think they made .22's loaded with black powder after about 1900-1910. I'm pretty sure your pistol was made after that. Still Iver Johnsons are not known for their strength............

Is it chambered as a .22 short or long? Can you even get a .22 LR to chamber?

Whatever you do don't fire high velocity 22lr (but you already knew that). CCI makes a 22 LR "quiet" round that just might be the one your looking for (if it will chamber). It shoots a 40 grain bullet at 710 fps vs 1070 for their standard velocity. Should be much lower pressure but you should search it before you try it. If not shoot shorts or CB caps.

Be careful with shorts though. They might not be as low pressure as you think. Aguila is even making a "high velocity" short that shoots at 1100 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I don't think they made .22's loaded with black powder after about 1900-1910. I'm pretty sure your pistol was made after that. Still Iver Johnsons are not known for their strength............

Whatever you do don't fire high velocity 22lr (but you already knew that). CCI makes a 22 LR "quiet" round that just might be the one your looking for (if it will chamber). It shoots a 40 grain bullet at 710 fps vs 1070 for their standard velocity. Should be much lower pressure but you should search it before you try it. If not shoot shorts or CB caps.

Be careful with shorts though. They might not be as low pressure as you think. Aguila is even making a "high velocity" short that shoots at 1100 fps.
    Are you saying that size doesn't matter after all?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post

Should be at the house in a couple days - love that C&R license Will have to check it out - just assumed it was 22L - will see ...... thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Thank you mail lady - arrived at my door today. Perfect candidate for small facelift - 0000 steel wool and oxpho. Can't wait to spruce her up a bit this weekend but keep some of the charm of this old gun .........

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lackawanna County)

Pretty!

CCi CB .22 Shorts have just over a 700 ft/sec velocity at the muzzle, they'd be a good choice!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    Pretty!

CCi CB .22 Shorts have just over a 700 ft/sec velocity at the muzzle, they'd be a good choice!
    Thanks, I'll check them out. Yeah, the way the blue is lost, I think it will clean up real nice then oxpho will give it that old but even blue - can't wait
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

So, between last night and tonight I've spent about 45 minutes doing some minor touch ups. I think it's where I want it. Still looks old, but now has a decent blued look I love my 0000 steel wool and oxpho blue.

before:

after:
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Jefferson County)

Nice job!

Unfortunately, the two men who knew these guns are no longer with us. ...Bill Goforth and Jim Hauff.

However Goforth wrote a book on these, and you can probably figure out the production date and BP/smokeless status from it. Or you could ask the guys over at thefirearmsforum.com for their opinion. ...be sure to post pics and the serial # if you post there.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 31st, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast