Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Cambria County Court House

Loaded the kids up and drove over to get the betterhalf an application for her LTCF. I approached the front door, entered and walked up to the "Guard" at the door. "Do you have a box that I can lock my pistol up in?" I asked. He paused, looked at me and said, "Do you have it on you now?" I told him I did. He said, "Sure. Come on over here".

They had a bout 10 small lockers. One he had a key to, and he opened it and got the other keys out to the other lockers. The only thing they didn't have was a place for me to unload safely.

I looked at him and said, "I'm going to place this in here loaded since you don't have a good place for me to unload it. No one will get in and mess with it will they?" "No", he said. "Here is a card to your box (Had locker number on it). It shows that this locker is yours. No one else gets in it." He asked me how long I would be, and I said just a few minutes. "OK, no problem, I'll still be here and can help you when you leave".

All in all a very pleasent visit. He was very polite. Very courtesous. And it was good to see that the Cambria County Courthouse is set up to handle gun owners when they show up.

+100 to Cambria County Courthouse and the Securtiy Staff.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Cambria County Court House

All the courthouses and jails I have been in (I am a Private Detective and Bail Bondsman) do not want you tinkering with the firearm. It goes in the way you carry it. For me, this involves undoing my belt in the lobby. That usually frightens the staff more than the firearm They kind of look at you sideways. I have considered a paddle holster for days when I visit such facilities, just can't bring my self to wearing one.

Be safe.

Scott

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    For me, this involves undoing my belt in the lobby. That usually frightens the staff more than the firearm They kind of look at you sideways. I have considered a paddle holster for days when I visit such facilities, just can't bring my self to wearing one.
    I jsut leave my holster on my belt when I'm forced to disarm... Besides, with all the other crap I carry, it's a pain in the butt to remove the firearm AND my medic pouch AND my mag pouch

(Jefferson County)

I cant imagine any courthouse requiring you to unload it - that'd just raise the possibility of a ND. All the ones I've been to just have you put it in a lockbox or locker straight from your holster(or with holster if it detaches easily).

Glad to see Cambria has things in a smooth polite fashion.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    I jsut leave my holster on my belt when I'm forced to disarm...
    I left my holster on too. Felt kind of wierd laying a loaded pistol down in the locker. That is why I mentioned it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Indiana County)

For me, this involves undoing my belt in the lobby. That usually frightens the staff more than the firearm
    That might frighten me, too, and I'm a grown man.

After reading the OPs post I thought I'd check out the Cambria Co. sheriff's website and found this about procedures for non-residents to get a LTCF:

NON-RESIDENTS - A thorough and complete background investigation for a non-resident can only be completed if the non-resident currently possess a License To Carry Firearms in his/her state of residency, and meet one of the following requirements:

A former resident of Cambria County (actual dates required).

A recipient of a current non-resident hunting licensed issued by Cambria County(photocopy of current hunting license is required).

A regular visitor of Cambria County (name, address, and visitation dates required).

If you met one of the above listed requirements, You MUST apply in person.

If you do not meet any of the above listed requirements, it would not be feasible for the Sheriff's office to conduct a complete and thorough investigation as required by law; therefore we can not furnish you with an Application for a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms from Cambria County.

Failure to comply with the above information will result in automatic rejection of the permit application.

WOW! The only legal requirement in the above, as set forth by the UFA, is that the applicant have a license or permit from his home state. The rest of it is just the sheriff's own rules

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Cambria County Court House

Sounds like you had a pleasant experience. It's just a damn shame all courthouses aren't like that.