Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default searching for a Gun Club

I am searching for a gun club to join in the region that has an active group of individuals with good comradery to learn from and share things I have learned. It would have an outdoor range which allows its members to practice real life fire exercises like drawing or moving while firing. Although I don't have a shotgun yet I plan on getting one in the future so skeet shooting would be important as well. I understand most of the really good clubs require you to know an existing member and have waiting lists that I could be on for years before being able to join. I simply want to start down that path. Please advise.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: searching for a Gun Club

Quote Originally Posted by Fealix View Post
    I am searching for a gun club to join in the region that has an active group of individuals with good comradery to learn from and share things I have learned.
    What are your interests?

There are several clubs that have regularly scheduled CMP (service-rifle) shoots, muzzle-loader shoots, indoor and outdoor handgun shoots, and trap shoots. Many of these are open to guests. Check the websites.

It would have an outdoor range which allows its members to practice real life fire exercises like drawing or moving while firing.
    I know of no clubs that allow 'drawing and moving around while firing.' Most have a No Rapid Fire policy. There are several ranges (indoor) that hold regular USPSA/IPSC shoots. And I'm sure there's a 3-gun contingency in the area. Check the websites.

Although I don't have a shotgun yet I plan on getting one in the future so skeet shooting would be important as well. I understand most of the really good clubs require you to know an existing member and have waiting lists that I could be on for years before being able to join. I simply want to start down that path. Please advise.
    Your best bet would be to visit a club as a guest, if possible. If not, check out some of the local pay-as-you-go indoor ranges, and talk with the folks that are regulars to the range. Of course you could always attend one of the PAFOA open shoots too.
    Last edited by louie; October 26th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Not a lot of skeet fields in the area.
    You can check here http://www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/n...s/club-search/

No place I know of lets shooters draw/shoot, run/gun. Not like you see on Sportsman Channel TV shows. Lots of places do IDPA and USPSA which is fun.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by louie View Post
    What are your interests?
    I just meant firearm related interests regarding self defense. I have yet to embrace firearms as a sport.

I know of no clubs that allow 'drawing and moving around while firing.' Most have a No Rapid Fire policy. There are several ranges (indoor) that hold regular USPSA/IPSC shoots. And I'm sure there's a 3-gun contingency in the area. Check the websites.
    So all anyone is practicing for a self defence scenario is squaring up with an opponent in a gun fight and trading shots? I was hoping gun clubs allowed getting off the X practice. I'm not talking crazy running and jumping while shooting movies style I'm talking about walking on a 45° angle while firing at a target.
    So your saying you must own 3 guns to join?

Your best bet would be to visit a club as a guest, if possible. If not, check out some of the local pay-as-you-go indoor ranges, and talk with the folks that are regulars to the range. Of course you could always attend one of the PAFOA open shoots too.
    I have been going to local pay as you go ranges but have not struck up conversation with strangers on the range. I feel rushed most times to get in good target practice in my hour. I do want to attend a PAFOA shoot. Only one I have seen thus far was around Pittsburgh.

(Montgomery County)

So all anyone is practicing for a self defence scenario is squaring up with an opponent in a gun fight and trading shots? I was hoping gun clubs allowed getting off the X practice. I'm not talking crazy running and jumping while shooting movies style I'm talking about walking on a 45° angle while firing at a target.
    So your saying you must own 3 guns to join?

Most clubs are very safety oriented and prohibit or greatly restrict "action shooting". Think about it. To safely move while shooting you would have to be the only one on the range. Otherwise you are going to be in front or behind someone.

No club requires you to own any guns to join. He was pointing out that some clubs have a lot of competitions and competitive shooters.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Most clubs are very safety oriented and prohibit or greatly restrict "action shooting". Think about it. To safely move while shooting you would have to be the only one on the range. Otherwise you are going to be in front or behind someone.
    True but a club on a lot of land could have targets spred out at considerable lengths for action shooting. I guess I just need some farm land if there really isn't any clubs that fit the bill.

(Berks County)

True but a club on a lot of land could have targets spred out at considerable lengths for action shooting. I guess I just need some farm land if there really isn't any clubs that fit the bill.
    Welcome to the ***hole of PA, and the surrounding rectal area. I share your frustration. Three years down here and no good clubs. They are all extremely expensive ($80 is the cheapest I've seen). They all seem to have dumb rules about drawing, rapid fire, number of rounds in the gun, etc. This region is also bad when it comes to hunting too (very few places to go). And good luck with the farm land down here. Most of that land is owned by rich people who don't like guns or hunting or they're afraid of getting sued. With the price of land and the ridiculous taxes here, normal people like you or I aren't going to be able to buy any either.

(Bucks County)

Delaware valley sports center has tactical Tuesday, or at least they did. http://www.delawarevalleysportscenter.com/ great place for an indoor range. Actually located in Northeast Philly. There are a couple private ranges or members only that actually have tactical ranges. Some are a bit of a drive but are worth it if you find the right one. Easton pa has one.