Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Range Advisory

(Monroe County)

Exclamation Range Advisory

As the originator of the SGL Range Reports thread, I have been wanting to put this out there for a while, but especially now that we have this fugitive situation going on. And we're all well aware of the out-of-state yahoos which are also an on going concern. I setup a separate thread for this so as not to get lost in the main reporting thread.

Having a strong background in personal security and safety, I'd like to share a few thoughts. You do not have to follow any of my advice, do whatever you like, it's up to you. I just want to put it out there for anyone who cares.

Firstly, this is a public forum. ANYONE can see it, including BAD GUYS (not to mention "out-of-state yahoos", as well as snooping government agencies who deem it their responsibility to spy on us at every turn.) When you post in here, assume EVERYONE will see it.

Secondly, and right along those lines, my advice would be to report only AFTER THE FACT - range conditions, safety concerns and anything else you deem important to report on. Do not post WHEN you are going to be up there. I would also not mention specific types of firearms either. All a bad guy has to do is read the entire thread, compile a spreadsheet with MEMBER NAME and TYPES OF FIREARMS, then have you post the day and time you plan on being there and you've got a bad guy armed with enough information to make a big haul. Again, just a consideration, makes good sense to me. I'd just hate to see anything bad happen to anyone because they tried to be friendly and amicable in good faith, only to be bit in the ass over it. Oh, by the way, some of you who I do not know have wonderful firearm collections! lol

I know many of you have made friends out of this thread, which is great, but if you plan to be up there and want people to know, use private messages to specific people who you know and trust rather than broadcasting it to everyone.

I have met some of you from here and everyone I have met has been friendly, polite and SAFE.

So, take it for what it's worth, be safe not only in the range but on here too.

Thanks for your time.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Range Advisory

WELL SAID JOE! #1 to you
    Gallagher Guns LLC Gun Shop/NRA Certified Instructor -Swiftwater

(Monroe County)

A couple other things I forgot to mention:
    1. if you are properly licensed, consider carrying a concealed firearm at all times; do so at your own peril, I have asked 2 separate game officers about this and they didn't have a problem with it, round limits only apply to the guns actually being used on the range, but that doesn't mean some jerk can't come along and have a problem with it - I take my chances and carry at all times
    2. be wary of leaving your firearms on the benches when going down range, particularly on the longest rifle lanes - I've never seen a prohibition against carrying your unloaded, open chambered firearm down range when dealing with targets
    3. if possible, avoid laying out a display of numerous firearms all at once; you can only shoot them one at a time, use them as you need them then secure them in your vehicle...I know, it's a pain in the neck to go back and forth to your vehicle, just err on the side of caution

Do whatever you want, just take it for what it's worth...obey all laws and rules...be safe
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Berks County)

Doesn't seem all that radical to me. Good common sense.

(Monroe County)

Again, there is this prohibition:
    [Prohibited Acts...} "Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line."
    Personally I feel my rights are being violated if I am denied a means to defend myself at all times. There is always the possibility that you could get in serious trouble if you're carrying but as I said, I have asked 2 officers and I take my chances, erring on saving my life rather than following some hokey rule that in and of itself contradicts other PA Laws. Pertains to LTCF holders only. I am no lawyer and do not dispense legal advice, just common sense, but from what I understand the language stresses that you should be shooting from the firing line and not anywhere else. Does being on a state shooting range trump your license to carry firearms? Who knows...
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Smile Re: Range Advisory

You are so right on all points ! I have been guilty of this practice which will stop immediatley ! I excercise good vigilence when I am at the range but faulted myself on your points.What I do is I declare range hot or cold,I wait till everyone begins the walk to the target observing if any yahoos decide to start touching their guns and make it known to them,I get a few faces but has so far been they leave their guns alone.When I delcare hot I dont start shooting immediatley as haveing observed many times a person will start to insert a magazine with their gun pointing at others because they are un familiar with its operation.This is not foolproof but does exhibit control and saftey when I am at the range either by myself or with friends.Thanks Joe for the wake up +1 sent. MDT

(Monroe County)

sure they are

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Sound advice, +1 rep inbound.

I was at the Rt 6 range and a couple of us were OC as the WCO came to check our range permits. Nothing said about it. It may depend on who you interact with.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    You are so right on all points ! I have been guilty of this practice which will stop immediatley ! I excercise good vigilence when I am at the range but faulted myself on your points.What I do is I declare range hot or cold,I wait till everyone begins the walk to the target observing if any yahoos decide to start touching their guns and make it known to them,I get a few faces but has so far been they leave their guns alone.When I delcare hot I dont start shooting immediatley as haveing observed many times a person will start to insert a magazine with their gun pointing at others because they are un familiar with its operation.This is not foolproof but does exhibit control and saftey when I am at the range either by myself or with friends.Thanks Joe for the wake up +1 sent. MDT
    I've been guilty of a couple myself. Better safe than sorry.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Perry County)

Given the murder that occurred on the SGL range in Cumberland County, I'd say you offer sage advice.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato