Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Carrying in New York

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Watervliet, NY pistol permit application asks for Facebook name and password. In general what is happening to NYS should not happen anywhere in this country.

sorry but i am going to have to throw the bs flag on who ever told you this, i will look around and see if there is any validity to that statement but even on the NY gun forums i have never read about anyone having to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    First there is only one type of license in NYS, and that is a license to carry a pistol.
    While the most common type (by FAR) of license in NYS is indeed a license to carry, your statement is not factually correct. There are seven different types of pistol permits in NYS, as defined by penal law part 4 title W § 400.00 subsection 2:

A license for a pistol or revolver, other than an assault weapon or a disguised gun, shall be issued to
    (a) have and possess in his dwelling by a householder;
    (b) have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper;
    (c) have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger employed by a banking institution or express company;
    (d) have and carry concealed by a justice of the supreme court in the first or second judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York city civil court or the New York city criminal court;
    (e) have and carry concealed while so employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is made therefor by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head keeper;
    (f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof; and
    (g) have, possess, collect and carry antique pistols which are defined as follows: (i) any single shot, muzzle loading pistol with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or before l898, which is not
    designed for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; <OTR - type (g) definition continues on for some length here>
    Obviously, our licenses are type (f), and that is by far the most common license type in NYS.

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    sorry but i am going to have to throw the bs flag on who ever told you this, i will look around and see if there is any validity to that statement but even on the NY gun forums i have never read about anyone having to do that.
    This has become a major issue on NYFirearms in the last month or so. The assertion is legitimate - some counties are now asking for FB ID and password on the application.

Never underestimate the potential for "authorities" to grab for more and more power.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    About the only way of legally doing this is to become a sworn PA LEO (or perhaps a PA State Constable) and carry under LEOSA. And even then it would be risky.
    Of course that would require some major life changes.

Or... tell the wife's family to move the hell outta NY and here to PA
    I don't think there has been a PAFOA five page thread that has so much wording and disagreement.
    Perhaps those who wish to carry in that pathetic state and city should take the Goon's advise. The only risk one would take carrying under that status is to run into a police officer not familiar with the law, which is quite specific, but still had to be adjusted at least once to address concerns with state laws from the New Yorks of the world.

How about this one... no matter what the law currently is in New York, it is fubar, ridiculous and unconstitutional!

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    How about this one... no matter what the law currently is in New York, it is fubar, ridiculous and unconstitutional!
    The right for citizens to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed and there is a hell of a lot of government infringing going on in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    Completely agree. Of course, while nowhere near the same league of fubar-ness, ridiculousness, and unconstitutional-ness, I feel the same way about PA gun laws.

Yes, they're way, way better. But they still infringe like it's going out of style.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345