Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo for AR15

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Ammo for AR15

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    Best thing to do is check yer barrel twist rate..some can still be the "older" 1-12 twist which can cause 62 + gr bullets to not be stable enuf for accuracy. These need about 1-8 or 1-7 I'm told.
    We tried this out a few years ago..shooting M855s in older AR barrels..some projectiles were tumbling by 40 meters or so...which is crap for accuracy but hell on flesh if you actually HIT someone with them! ;-)
    Um, I didn't ask anything but ok. Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Smile Re: Ammo for AR15

Well, aside form the 223/5.56 subject, which you guys have covered, I've learned that each rifle is different. I have a Stag -Mdl 1, with a 1 in 9 barrel. I quit 55gr years ago, and now shoot only 62gr(Grn-Tip). I do however, have a box of PPU 75gr Match. I get one inch groups at 100Yds with an occasional flyer. Everybody tells me that is close to impossible. This is one of them things that you have to go the meat-head route, and just buy and shoot different kinds to see who's does best in your rifle. You just gotta do the work. It takes time, money and effort, but when you find the right combo, it will be heavenly! My 62's are about 2 inches high/lft, with the 77's on the X....
    All the charts, graphs and tables are a good guide, but they can be improved on.
    Remember, military ammo 55gr/62gr are made to NATO specs/factory/supervision, to function in any rifle, in any country under all conditions. Gotta give em credit, it's a minor miracle that it does works at all. Them europeans can't agree on anything, but they can sure come together on ways to kill each other.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by rabrooks; November 17th, 2014 at 08:19 PM.

(Lebanon County)

steel cased russian stuff is fine, don't be scared of it like some many others. i have one rifle that has never seen brass cases.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I'm an AR newb and just recently put an Adams Arms 5.56 rifle on layaway. Some have probably seen my questions about sights and mags, so here I go with ammo

Having been shooting Ak's, I've bought and used several types of Russian, Romanian, Ukrainian, etc. steel case FMJ in different bullet weights and had very few issues. What is decent ammo for practice and to stockpile for a 5.56 AR?

Practice with .223 because it's slightly cheaper, stockpile 5.56?

Stick with only 5.56?

Is there enough ballistic difference between the two to effect sighting if switching between the two?

Again, forgive my ignorance and thanks.

Stick with 5.56 ammo, or a least .223 loaded towards 5.56 velocities.... you will find that most, if not all, alike bullet weights will require some sight adjustments.
    Once upon a time I fired all of the same bullet weight / caliber ammo at the same bullseye... the results were very enlightening... the various ammo groups were all over the place.

I truly suggest you slowly try a variety of ammo, and see which is most accurate. Use that for your training ammo.

Try some of this first... it has been VERY accurate in my rifles. It is not the cheapest, but the accuracy makes up for that, IMHO.

IM me and I will send you the link.

And then find a accurate SD ammo and stockpile a decent reasonable amount.

There are many good deals out there right now.

(Northumberland County)

Adams Arms gas piston Ar15s eat anything, they are built like a AK .

buy whatevers on sale and try it see if the gun gets good accuracy, every bullet gives different accuracy they are not the same,even if they are same gr bullets.

(Berks County)

Thanks for more responses. There certainly are some good ammo deals out there now, which is leading me to want to buy some now even though resources are tight. Here are three I'm looking at:

Wolf Gold .223, 55gr @ .285/round. I'm reading this is loaded closer to 5.56 performance than most .223

Federal 5.56 XM193, 55gr @ .317/round

IMI 5.56 M193, 55gr @ .311/round

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Thanks for more responses. There certainly are some good ammo deals out there now, which is leading me to want to buy some now even though resources are tight. Here are three I'm looking at:

Wolf Gold .223, 55gr @ .285/round. I'm reading this is loaded closer to 5.56 performance than most .223

Federal 5.56 XM193, 55gr @ .317/round

IMI 5.56 M193, 55gr @ .311/round
    Nothing wrong with any of those. PSA was selling some Fed AR5.56 for 5.99 per 20 and that is good ammo, they run sales off and on. The Wolf Gold is close to XM193 is velocity and is good stuff.(Taiwanesse). AIM has a sale on Wolf steel cased right now $120 per 500 shipped. You end up cleaning more with steel cased (chamber) usually but most ARs should run it fine.(mine will)

(Allegheny County)

This stuff any good?

Green tip steel core

I ordered a couple boxes last night. Can't afford more, but even after shipping it was the same price as the cheapest 55gr plinking stuff you can get at Wmart, so...
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This stuff any good?

Green tip steel core

I ordered a couple boxes last night. Can't afford more, but even after shipping it was the same price as the cheapest 55gr plinking stuff you can get at Wmart, so...
    It's just fine.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This stuff any good?

Green tip steel core

I see M855 green tip steel core is always more than the M193, like .05-.06/round higher. Might get some of that later.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast