Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Para Usa

(Delaware County)

Default Para Usa

How many have had experience with Para Ordinance, now owned by the parent company that owns Remington and Marlin. What I remember most about them is their forward thinking in changing the initial configuration of the 1911. The first to make a double action, which upset most of the traditionalists, and their double stack design. I remember when the double action came out, even some of the usual ever loving gun rags did not think too much of the idea.

What little I know about the company is that it markets itself as making an upper end product competing with the likes of Kimber and upper end Springfields.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Para Usa

All I know is target master stocks a lot of them. But I've never seen anyone looking at them besides me.

Tanners is having a huge sale on them ATM
    NRA LIFE, GOA, SAF, ANJRPC, NJ2AS MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post

What little I know about the company is that it markets itself as making an upper end product competing with the likes of Kimber and upper end Springfields.
    Yes, and Para Expert commander my wife bought was a turd 'till I got it tuned up. The GS had no tension on it, the trigger took over 7 lbs to break, and the ignition parts looked worse than what comes in a RIA or a Taurus. Had I not known how to correct these problems, I'd have passed on it. Now, it qualifies for an above average 1911, but not without some work.

Para clearly says in their ad they are a great builder. The dude that did our commander must have been hung over or smoking crack. It was unacceptable to the point the dealer was going to send it back if I didn't buy it. He gave me 10% off the price and I got a $45 store card (Bass Pro).
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    ... but not without some work.
    I stopped at tanners today and got to handle one. It was my thought exactly. for the 350 price, it might be worth it and then spending some money tuning it up...but I think I will pass on the deal.

Para is blowing these out all over it's not just Tanners, CDNN has been offloading these very very cheap for the last 3 months. $750.00 models for half that at times. For as long as I can remember Para has been the dusty pistol in the 1911 case. They tried to revolutionize and bring the 1911 into the 21st century with a double stack design ranging from full size down to pocket sized 1911 type pistols. What they really ended up doing was taking a already potentially problematic platform and gave it more possible problems. They look good on paper and feel good in the hand but they dont work well in real life on the range.

Having been brought under the umbrella of the Freedom Group I would expect QC to have dropped a lot like all the others who were doomed to that fate. I would rather see someone buy a plain old RIA GI and then customize it out the way you want it. It may cost a few more bucks but in the long run you will be a lot happier with a higher quality pistol.

(Lancaster County)

I bought one if their double stack 1911s with the LDA trigger system. Total fail. Never again. Two trips back to the factory and trying every spring weight I could imagine did not make it reliable. A couple failure to extracts or failure to go into battery per mag. I sold it cheap to a friend who swore he could get it to run. He dumped it too.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Delaware County)

I would trust that the new owners, Freedom Group, who already own some reputable trade names, will make the necessary adjustments to their new acquisition Para. The name brand is going on 30 years old and hopefully their reported short comings get ironed out. The firearm is now produced in this country and I wish them success.

In doing some of my own research, the "Expert" model has gone through a number of minor changes in a very short amount of time. That is minor changes from appearance in pictures, not being able to compare more critical features such as trigger, fit, and finish without seeing or feeling the firearm.

I would trust that the new owners, Freedom Group, who already own some reputable trade names, will make the necessary adjustments to their new acquisition Para.
    Everything The Freedom Group has acquitted has gone down in build quality and reliability. Remington has had some major issues the last 24 months with their 870 line as well as the 700's with multiple recalls, and the major fail of the R51.

They moved Marlin to NYS and didn't take the bulk of the Gunsmiths that were experts in the building of level action rifles gave the work to laymen and screwed all new production up big time.

Para is the same no better no worse they have been problematic since the start. I dont see the Freedom Group doing anything to make this line better since it's the most obscure of all the others they ruined.

Bushmaster is still Bushmaster some are okay some suck but over all they are not a value compared to other AR's and parts on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

Bushmaster is still Bushmaster some are okay some suck but over all they are not a value compared to other AR's and parts on the market.
    I have a Bushmaster from before Freedom and Windham showed up. It doesn't have the tin can feel that the new BM's have, and I'm talking about comparing the exact same XM15E2S M4A3 Patrolman's model. I've had to do a little work to it, as well, but it's a strong rifle, now. I wouldn't buy another knowing what I know, now, about AR's. and definitely not a Freedom Group BM. Live and learn and use your gun money, wisely.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast