Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Since when does the Second Amd. protect the right to carry firearms?

I find it interesting that lots of "Second Amendment activists" (in my experience, just about all) pay no attention whatever to laws which purport to ban a number of very useful arms as "prohibited offensive weapons." These weapons are allowed to be possessed, but not carried in circumstances in which they might be useful as weapons, and never when they are actually used as weapons.

My personal favorite is the flat slap. The law allows me to defend my life with a .45, but not with a sheet of metal encased leather, even though the latter is much better at stopping contact-distance assaults, less likely to kill anybody, and less likely to project force on to an innocent bystander.

It says "the right to bear arms," not the "right to bear firearms."
    Last edited by PeteG; October 20th, 2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Comma out of place.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Since when does the Second Amd. protect the right to carry firearms?

I've wondered about that myself.

Default Re: Since when does the Second Amd. protect the right to carry firearms?

Section 908 does embody a lot of irrational phobias and ignorance. Not to mention the mystery surrounding stun guns as a result of the poor drafting of 908 and 908.1.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

I think I might have a case here.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Section 908 does embody a lot of irrational phobias and ignorance. Not to mention the mystery surrounding stun guns as a result of the poor drafting of 908 and 908.1.
    Closing in on 10,000. Will you be awarded the Pafoa version of a Blue Peter Badge or at least a Denny's coupon good for a free slice of pie?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I've always found the stun gun thing confusing.

Every gun show is filled with the "bug zapper" sounds of people selling stun guns but I saw a combo flashlight / stun gun on line last night and in big letters

No shipment to PA

III% - Stand and be counted

(Allegheny County)

Good topic. I never could figure out why it's legal to carry a firearm yet I can't carry any of my auto knives.

(Westmoreland County)

The founders left us one heck of a gift. Through bans and compromise we are left with a fraction of what we once had. Too many people concerned with what someone else is doing making irrational decisions based on unfounded fears and misguided emotions.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Good topic. I never could figure out why it's legal to carry a firearm yet I can't carry any of my auto knives.
    Or why an auto knife is verboten but, a fixed blade is not. Is it the speed of the opening? No. The fixed blade takes 0.0 seconds to open. It's purely unsubstantiated fear, just the black rifles. I was at the range and I started talking to the guy in the next lane. He had an SKS that his in-laws were shooting happily. When I offered them to fire my AR, they gave a dirty look and said no, firmly.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Or why an auto knife is verboten but, a fixed blade is not. Is it the speed of the opening? No. The fixed blade takes 0.0 seconds to open. It's purely unsubstantiated fear, just the black rifles. I was at the range and I started talking to the guy in the next lane. He had an SKS that his in-laws were shooting happily. When I offered them to fire my AR, they gave a dirty look and said no, firmly.
    Like too many of our laws, it is the result of moral panic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

In 1950, an article titled The Toy That Kills appeared in the Women's Home Companion, a widely read U.S. periodical of the day. The article sparked a storm of controversy and a nationwide campaign that would eventually result in state and federal laws criminalizing the importation, sale, and possession of automatic-opening knives. In the article, author Jack Harrison Pollack assured the reader that the growing switchblade "menace" could have deadly consequence "as any crook can tell you".[17] Pollack, a former aide to Democratic Senator Harley M. Kilgore and a ghostwriter for then-Senator Harry S. Truman, had authored a series of magazine articles calling for new laws to address a variety of social ills. In The Toy That Kills, Pollack wrote that the switchblade was "Designed for violence, deadly as a revolver - that’s the switchblade, the 'toy' youngsters all over the country are taking up as a fad. Press the button on this new version of the pocketknife and the blade darts out like a snake’s tongue. Action against this killer should be taken now".[17] To back up his charges, Pollack quoted an unnamed juvenile court judge as saying: "It’s only a short step from carrying a switchblade to gang warfare".[17]
    Gang warfare!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast