Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Best .44mag rifle ammo for deer

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    I own a Marlin 1894 in 44mag. When I first got the rifle I went to testing different loads. Unfortunately, I do not hand load (yet), so I purchased several different factory loads. I tried federal fusions, Hornady leverREV and Winchester super-X soft tip. All of these rounds were 240gr. I had a very difficult time getting the Hornadys to group well. I averaged my groups around 10". I know I know that still isn't down right dispicable, but I still wanted better. Looking at our community forums I found I wasen't the only person out there that did get good groups with Lever REV rounds out of a Marlin microgrooved barrel. The federal fusions was slightly better. Maybe 8" group. I had my best groups roughly around 6" with Winchester super-X soft points(flat). I have yet to harvest a deer with this 1894, but I also have a SRH in 44mag. I did harvest a nice doe up at camp last year with my pistol. One shot from 20yds and it was DRT. Barely a flinch after she hit the dirt. I hit here a little high, but in the shoulder.

I have also heard and been told by several other 44mag shooters that the Hornady XTP in 200gr is a really great bullet. Same thing from guys shooting 44mag in rifles and pistols.
    The best groupings I can get in my 1894 came from winchester white box 240gr jsp. Those will group at 1.5" or so at 50 yards, and I can consistently break clays at 100 yards with them. Every other ammo had groupings at least twice as big. I love the gun, but it is very picky.

(Lehigh County)

10" group? Should be way better than that. I would think something is wrong if you can't get a tighter group than 8"
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Chester County)

A-5, this was benched (not adequately enough imo) at 100yds with a straight 4X scope.

(Indiana County)

I own a Marlin 1894 in 44mag. When I first got the rifle I went to testing different loads. Unfortunately, I do not hand load (yet), so I purchased several different factory loads. I tried federal fusions, Hornady leverREV and Winchester super-X soft tip. All of these rounds were 240gr. I had a very difficult time getting the Hornadys to group well. I averaged my groups around 10". I know I know that still isn't down right dispicable, but I still wanted better. Looking at our community forums I found I wasen't the only person out there that did get good groups with Lever REV rounds out of a Marlin microgrooved barrel. The federal fusions was slightly better. Maybe 8" group. I had my best groups roughly around 6" with Winchester super-X soft points(flat). I have yet to harvest a deer with this 1894, but I also have a SRH in 44mag. I did harvest a nice doe up at camp last year with my pistol. One shot from 20yds and it was DRT. Barely a flinch after she hit the dirt. I hit here a little high, but in the shoulder.

I have also heard and been told by several other 44mag shooters that the Hornady XTP in 200gr is a really great bullet. Same thing from guys shooting 44mag in rifles and pistols.
    I'm sorry, but those are pitiful groups and those rifle/bullet combinations should never go out into the field.

(Chester County)

This is why we test certain loads to see which preforms the best. Obviously I choose to use the Winchester Super-X 240gr soft points over anything else.
    A six inch circle at 100yds isn't horrible. I would bet a dinner plate is a little bigger than 6" and a whitetails vitals is bigger than a dinner plate. Again this is at 100yds which IMO would be the absolute max ever out of this rifle. The grouping reduced significantly at 50yds.
    The SRH groups roughly 2" at 50yds. I didn't mention that earlier. Don't need to shoot subMOA to kill a whitetail.

(Westmoreland County)

This is why we test certain loads to see which preforms the best. Obviously I choose to use the Winchester Super-X 240gr soft points over anything else.
    A six inch circle at 100yds isn't horrible. I would bet a dinner plate is a little bigger than 6" and a whitetails vitals is bigger than a dinner plate. Again this is at 100yds which IMO would be the absolute max ever out of this rifle. The grouping reduced significantly at 50yds.
    The SRH groups roughly 2" at 50yds. I didn't mention that earlier. Don't need to shoot subMOA to kill a whitetail.
    That's very true. Both of my S&W 44 mag revolvers shoot 6" groups at 100 yards and I consider those to be excellent groups from a 6" revolver barrel. Hit a whitetail with one of my 200gr XTP loads at 100yds or less and he\she is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    That's very true. Both of my S&W 44 mag revolvers shoot 6" groups at 100 yards and I consider those to be excellent groups from a 6" revolver barrel. Hit a whitetail with one of my 200gr XTP loads at 100yds or less and he\she is dead.
    What load is best for my H&R 44 magnum single shot rifle ?

(Lancaster County)

My vote is for the 200 gr Barnes XPB. Killed 2 deer with this bullet in my 14" Contender,picture perfect expansion. Maybe out of a rifle go with the 225.

every gun is different, if you do not hand load, you have to Buy a box of a few different brands/bullet weight/ bullet types and see what groups the best. Change the target and clean the rifle after each 6 shots, let it cool down.
    Most often when hunting you are shooting from a clean cold barrel.
    Then write on the target the rifle, range, time date weather conditions, cartridge make bullet type and weight Clean bore, dirty bore on the target and keep those targets in the case with the gun for reference.
    What flies great out of my pistol might not group well out of my rifle.
    What groups great out of my Henry might not out of your H&R, or that guys Marlin, or the other guys Winchester.
    But a 240 gr JHP on a whitetail inside 100 yds with good shot placement should do the trick every time if you do your part and figure out what works best for your rifle. And with a single shot you better be certain, as followup shots are way slower..
    Last edited by bigandy1966; June 14th, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Indiana County)

In the real world, a 6" group on paper down at the range with some buddies is not the same group as the typical hunter who gets packed full of adrenaline when they spot that buck sauntering out of the woods line into the field as dusk is nearing is going to make when the time comes.

I would never think of attempting a 100yard shot with a handgun caliber rifle that puts up 6" groups on a good day at the range.
    I have often hunted with a .44 revolver and have limited all my shots to 40 or so yards the last few times I have done so.

Another thing that is pretty common is a lack of accuracy when out hunting when it comes to estimating yardage.
    I've personally seen seasoned hunters take a 300 yards shot at a huge buck and then they'd comment on how they couldn't believe they missed the deer at 150 yards...

I recently picked up a S&W 29 Silhouette model that I am working up a load for, unless I can get 2-3" groups at 100 yards on paper I will not even consider taking such a shot out in the field at an animal.

But I suppose we are all different types of hunters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast