Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default What do I need to cut down a double barrel coach gun? (I have my tax stamp :))

I just need to get the barrel cut from 18 to 11 inches. I really don't want to wait and send it away, but well I suck at mechanical skills. I was wondering what do I need to properly cut down a Baikal Double Barrel? Just need to know what to get at the hardware store.

My only concern is if I mess it up as finding replacement baikal barrels is not easy.

TIA

Default Re: What do I need to cut down a double barrel coach gun? (I have my tax stamp :))

A measuring tape, hack saw, files, belt sander, leval and a T-square are what I have used in the past. I also had to drill and tap and install new front site beads but since it's a side by side coach gun that should not be an issue for you.

Ohh and your going to need some patients and minor skills.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: What do I need to cut down a double barrel coach gun? (I have my tax stamp :))

Depending on how those barrels are attached to each other, after you are done cutting, you may find that your barrels are no longer attached to each other at the end.

You went through all the trouble to get a stamp and now you are going to take the chance of screwing up your shottie?
    Go to a gunsmith that has experience in the area of cutting down shotguns.

Depending on how those barrels are attached to each other, after you are done cutting, you may find that your barrels are no longer attached to each other at the end.
    Very good point.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Very good point.
    Yep, I've seen some pretty shoddy manufacturing of doubles in my day, and I'm pretty sure Baikal is not really a top 'O the heap manufacturer.

With most doubles, some silver soldering at the minimum is going to need done to secure the center section to the new muzzle end.
    The rib has a tendency to "peel" quite often when a double is just hacked shorter.

(Montgomery County)

Well I'm fine with taking it to a Smith (in fact it's one of the few times my wife has told me to take an action that causes money to be spent on guns) vs trying it myself.

Can anyone recommend someone in the vicinity of 19066?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

Ohh and your going to need some patients and minor skills.
    I guess its like brain surgery? Sounds like he needs some major skills,

Patience, my friend. Go slow
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Blair County)

i saw a post 4 an engraver in that neck of the wood lately on here maybe they could point you to a class 3 smith . you got it engraved right ?
    Laserworx in Pottstown
    www.golaserworx.com
    http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...laserworx.html

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    i saw a post 4 an engraver in that neck of the wood lately on here maybe they could point you to a class 3 smith . you got it engraved right ?
    Laserworx in Pottstown
    www.golaserworx.com
    http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...laserworx.html
    Yep, I got it engraved right at LaserWorx. Really great people.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I guess its like brain surgery? Sounds like he needs some major skills,

Patience, my friend. Go slow

A Standard single barrel shotgun would have been a lot easier to start off learning on but sometimes trial by fire works out well. Depending on how the barrels are joined as flathead pointed out will determin how difficult the overall job really is. Aside of that its not all the difficult to do with a good end result.
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 18th, 2014 at 10:25 PM.