Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 5906?

(Pike County)

Default S&W 5906?

I was offered by a friend to buy one. It was a LEO owned. Anyone know about these? From the limited research I have done on Smith forums, owners seem not to have much negative to say except they are heavy since they are all metal.

Feedback appreciated.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: S&W 5906?

Quote Originally Posted by chaz View Post
    I was offered by a friend to buy one. It was a LEO owned. Anyone know about these? From the limited research I have done on Smith forums, owners seem not to have much negative to say except they are heavy since they are all metal.

Feedback appreciated.
    Any of those older S&W's are great guns - can't go wrong. I own several different models and have been very happy! Unless it is a TSW model - they go for $300-$349 in decent shape. A little more sometime for like new, a little less for beat up. As long as you are getting a decent price, I'd jump on it!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Westmoreland County)

3rd generation S&W's are good to go IMO.

(Clearfield County)

most of the metal framed smiths are decent enough guns, but they've never developed much of a following because (as mentioned) the weight, the pretty bad trigger pulls, the mag disconnect safeties, and just generally not being set up the way consumers want them.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    most of the metal framed smiths are decent enough guns, but they've never developed much of a following because (as mentioned) the weight, the pretty bad trigger pulls, the mag disconnect safeties, and just generally not being set up the way consumers want them.
    I've never had any issues with the above except the mag disconnect - don't know why I forgot - I hate mag disconnect safeties - so annoying !!! But still great guns
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(York County)

Third gen Smith's are damn near bulletproof, no pun intended. I have owned several Smith's in my time, mainly .45's, two 4506's and a eerily accurate second gen 645 ( which was traded for a single action 745 that was annoyingly less accurate, a trade I regretted ). Aside from the dreaded magazine disconnects and a weak selection of aftermarket grips, the slide mounted safety was my only other peeve. Beside these small quirks, these Smith's are a durable, dependable, and accurate sidearm. If the price is right, and you like how the gun feels ( I would arrange to shoot before purchase of it if possible ), then buy it.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Lancaster County)

Third gen Smith's are damn near bulletproof, no pun intended
    Agreed. 3rd gen smith's are some of the best auto's you can buy. Very under rated. Never had any issues with mine and they have seen thousands of rounds.

(Lancaster County)

I say buy as long as the cost is reasonable. What's reasonable? Do a little look-see at the online auctions, you'll get a sense of what's what pretty quick.

You do need to spend some time handling it to be sure you like the chunky grip and the heft.

S&W no longer supports replacement parts for 3rd Gen guns. Not a deal-breaker, just mentioning it. There's plenty of aftermarket and cannibalized parts sources around. Unless you're fourteen years old you should be able to keep it running for your shooting lifetime.

Back to what is the asking price and what is the condition? The 59** pistols have become rather pricey for nice specimens. Beaters you can get on GunStroker all day long for not much money.

If you like it even somewhat, go for it! And pictures please!
    Johnnie F.

(Delaware County)

Never owned or shot one but held one at an Oaks show a couple years ago. They are heavy. I choose a Ruger instead only based on condition between the two.

Felt very solid and the sights seemed easy to aquire.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Well built, heavy, and reliable. I wish I would have bought a few more when they were dirt cheap used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast