Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Savage Model 1917

just picked up a Saveage 1917 in .32 acp yesterday, and i have not been able to find to much information other than historical context. So i was wondering if anyone had any information about using modern loaded ammo in one of these. Or if anyone has one and any other cool info about the gun
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Savage Model 1917

i did learn about a book called "10 shots quick" and heard its supposed to be a really good read about these guns. so i just looked for it on amazon, starting price was $100 so i think i will pass on that

(Dauphin County)

Google is your friend. It will help you find a site put up by a 1907 aficionado, most of which applies to the '17. He even has the complete text of the "10 Shots Quick" pamphlet you mentioned. There is also a book, Savage Pistols by Bailey Brower Jr that is the authoritative source for all Savage pistols.

I have a Model 1907 in .32ACP made in 1917. I shoot standard ammo from S&B and Privi and it's all good. Before shooting yours, disassemble it as far as you're comfortable and do a very good inspection and if anything, anything looks out of place or worn, get it to a gunsmith before you start shooting. Additionally if the springs are especially old and/or rusty new spring sets are available from Wolf.

Here's mine.
    Last edited by GonzoGeezer; October 16th, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Philadelphia County)

Wasn't the Savage pistol as well as the Luger a contender to be the U.S. military sidearm? The Colt 1911 eventually won.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    Wasn't the Savage pistol as well as the Luger a contender to be the U.S. military sidearm? The Colt 1911 eventually won.
    The Model 1905 was a contender but finished second to the Colt entry. Brower discusses the trials and controversy surrounding it in his book. Looking to recoup some of the engineering costs that Savage, a small company, had sunk into the 1905, they saw that Colt was having great success with Browning's 1903 so they took their basic design and downsized it for .32ACP, and later for .380. It was a great success, over 250,000 guns were produced.
    Last edited by GonzoGeezer; October 17th, 2014 at 08:20 AM.

right now im trying to fight the urge to go back to the gun store and pick up the 1917 in .380 they have, especially because im sure i can get a decent deal because it has no grips or magazine (which i think i have been able to find online for a reasonable price)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    right now im trying to fight the urge to go back to the gun store and pick up the 1917 in .380 they have, especially because im sure i can get a decent deal because it has no grips or magazine (which i think i have been able to find online for a reasonable price)
    If it's real cheap then it's certainly good for parts if nothing else. Magazines are hard to find as are grips and you will pay top dollar.

Good luck.