Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Jacketed bullets might be allowed indoor at WSSA

The new president at WSSA is considering allowing jacketed bullets on the indoor range at the club. The final vote for this and some other changes to the by-laws will be held 1/30 starting at 6pm. If any of you are members this might be a meeting you might want to attend.

(York County)

Default Re: Jacketed bullets might be allowed indoor at WSSA

I'm going to try to be there... as I'd like to see this change made permanent.

(Washington County)

When I rebuilt the bullet traps at my club (www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc) I redesignated the range as capable of handling jacketed bullets. I've put a lot of jacketed .45 down range without any problems.

Even put some .30 carbine into it with no problems, out of an Enforcer pistol, not the rifle.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Dauphin County)

Opps! Or not. I just joined the club for the use of the indoor range. I missed the meeting yesterday due to work calls but stopped by the .22 match tonight to see how the meeting went. (I just ordered a bunch on rainer plated bullets in hopes to save myself from lead exposure.) I was really looking forward to switching to plated bullets..even if it was just for my private practice times.

Range Closed! A board member was there investigating rumors of bounce backs during .22 matches and found it was witnessed by members on a few occassions so he closed the match down and the range til further notice. I died. I'm not a bullseye shooter..yet. Too young yet(lol) but I was really looking forward to learning the ropes of IDPA and practicing thru the winter. I joined last year but never shot at all due to the 'lead only' rule and I planned to use my Glock to practice IDPA. This year I was determined and bought a lead shoot'in 45acp to use.

Funny thing was..the match shooters had not heard that it was rumors and then testimony of past bounce backs during .22 matches that had halted the match and the closing of the range. I heard a few call for closing the indoor range to anything BUT lead .22 shooting! That really steamed me..so typical a response from a fello gun nut-sport shooter. "It's all their fault..only allow my style of shooting."(even if it IS my style that is being reported as the problem) Sheesh.

(York County)

as of right now the old rules still apply. the new rule didn't pass, it was 2 votes short of the needed two thirds majority. this topic is being raised next month. i recommend you attend if you want the rules changed. i think it may be re proposed and up for a vote again.

the meetings are in the club house at 7:30 on the last Tuesday of the month.

(York County)

I joined WSSA this past December with very similar hopes as luckyned7. I was planning to shoot IDPA over the winter indoors with my new Glock 19. I am disappointed.

At the meeting, it was determined that some people will investigate the feasability and cost of replacing the current backstop with a dirt berm so we can shoot just about any thing we want. I hope this is done soon, and it pleases all of the members.

Chris

(Dauphin County)

Anyone got the scoop? Should I invest in a really cool airsoft pistol....
    and try really hard not to get sloppy and aim at one of the 3 cats that make the beagle loose her control and memory of "HEAL".."STAY".."WHOA".. "SIT"..."LEAVE IT".."COME..youstupidsillyarsetoldyoubeforeI'mtheb ossandforgetthecatsandtheirfoodwillnotgetyoucloser toGODasyouknowit....MR. SHULTZ had a real sense of humor CUZ he must of owned a BEAGLE not due to but CUZ!
    Last edited by luckyned7; February 3rd, 2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: puctuation....

(York County)

The indoor range is currently closed to all shooting. The WSSA BoD are gathering a committee to rectify the problem, with representatives from each of the major shooting groups within the club (Cowboy AS, IDPA, Bullseye).

Stay tuned. The amendment was defeated by two votes at the January meeting. Before the meeting was over, a motion was made and seconded to re-read (ie. reintroduce) the jacketed bullet/indoor range amendment at the February meeting. This motion passed, and the amendment will be read again at the next meeting in February with a vote in March.

There was absolutely no irrefutable proof that shooting jacketed HANDGUN rounds damaged the backstop. Some idiot(s) have been in there shooting centerfire RIFLE rounds as evidenced by a few craters in the steel. Those members need to be thrown off the grounds via a trebuchet and no parachute.

If you're a WSSA member and want to be able to shoot jacketed bullets in the indoor range - a major consideration of equipment if you're looking to reduce airborne lead particulates - get involved NOW.