Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default RIA accidental discharge

I want to thank everyone their input on the 1911 .45. For the first few weeks i had no issues and RIA is quite accurate.

On a much more serious issue I did run into a real problem. During target practice, I had what appeared to be a failure to fire. My instinct was to wait a few moments, then cock the hammer back and take another shot. To my surprise (and I HATE surprises) the hammer did not lock back and the round discharged. No issue, or injures, but having .45 go bang when it is not suppose to is sobering to say the least. I removed the magazine and to may amazement no matter what I did the hammer would not stay locked in the cocked position.

When I got home I stripped the gun down to the frame expecting to see some loose or broken parts. However, nothing seemed wrong and upon reassembly it worked fine.

A few thoughts:

*This is really dangerous. Afterward it occurred to me that thank god it did not go fully automatic. Remember that this thing fired without any pressure on the trigger — and the hammer was following the slide forward at a good clip. How is this possible?
    *I thought (but could not find) any reference to a firing pin safety. In theory (and likely practice) that means any hard strike would discharge the gun — like an old revolver.
    *Has anyone heard of this before? I have read that improper reassembly can cause this, but during firing?
    *Since I did not fined anything remarkable during reassembly, any ides why or how this could have happened?

Any input would be appreciated.

Neil

(Northampton County)

Default Re: RIA accidental discharge

Never let your muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. That includes loading and clearing in your home. I will live with a few holes in my floor (no sand bucket) but I know where my HVAC system and oil tank are in the basement

You need warranty service, don't goof around with it.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ngum Rights View Post
    I want to thank everyone their input on the 1911 .45. For the first few weeks i had no issues and RIA is quite accurate.

On a much more serious issue I did run into a real problem. During target practice, I had what appeared to be a failure to fire. My instinct was to wait a few moments, then cock the hammer back and take another shot. To my surprise (and I HATE surprises) the hammer did not lock back and the round discharged. No issue, or injures, but having .45 go bang when it is not suppose to is sobering to say the least. I removed the magazine and to may amazement no matter what I did the hammer would not stay locked in the cocked position.

When I got home I stripped the gun down to the frame expecting to see some loose or broken parts. However, nothing seemed wrong and upon reassembly it worked fine.

A few thoughts:

*This is really dangerous. Afterward it occurred to me that thank god it did not go fully automatic. Remember that this thing fired without any pressure on the trigger — and the hammer was following the slide forward at a good clip. How is this possible?
    *I thought (but could not find) any reference to a firing pin safety. In theory (and likely practice) that means any hard strike would discharge the gun — like an old revolver.
    *Has anyone heard of this before? I have read that improper reassembly can cause this, but during firing?
    *Since I did not fined anything remarkable during reassembly, any ides why or how this could have happened?

Any input would be appreciated.

Neil
    Sounds like an ammo issue not a gun issue - but just my opinion - no expert here !
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Northampton County)

Sounds like the sear spring slipped out of place

(Berks County)

I have only about 500 rounds through mine. My only issue has been with magpro mags not pushing the first round to battery.

As Ungawa said don't play with it. Have it checked by a smith or send it back.

(York County)

I would have stripped it at the range. Especially knowing there was a malfunction. Having your 45 go bang at home is worse than the surprise you had at the range. Consider yourself lucky.

You were very lucky to be pointing the pistol in the correct direction when you recocked that hammer. When you have a failure epically in a new pistol ALWAYS drop the mag & strip the round inspect both the pistol for function and put the round/mag aside and move onto a new mag. If the pistol continues to function incorrectly it's time to take it off the line and trouble shoot.

Please understand that I am not trying to be an ass hole here with my statements its just that all too often we as gun owners become complacent with handling firearms and accidents turn into user negligence.

As said earlier your sear and hammer springs need to be checked it sounds like the 1st time you pulled the trigger the hammer didn't fall with enough force to set the round off possibly due to a week spring then combined with a broken or dislodged sear spring which is kinda rare the hammer will no longer lock back.

When you say complete strip did you remove all components including the sear or just a detailed field strip leaving the internals in the back strap/grip safety in place?
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 13th, 2014 at 05:45 PM.

(Chester County)

My instinct in the case of a FTF is to drop the mag and clear the weapon. That is your best move IMO.

Rocks usually come pretty greased up for shipping (boat) protection (salt water/air). I read a lot of suggestions to completely strip your RIA and clean everything good, oil it a bit and reassemble. Have you done that?

What kind of ammo were you using?

(Northampton County)

The hammer not locking back seems to be a separate issue. But what it sounds like is you had a hang fire, which is the ammo not the pistol. I'd contact the manufacturer of the ammo and alert them. They will likely ask for a batch number which is printed on the box so they can monitor the situation
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Centre County)

You did let go the trigger before you pulled the hammer back, correct?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast