Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Soon to get an M1A need advice

I'm finally going to pick up the m1a I've been fantasizing about and I was wondering if anyone could suggest what I need to go with it?

I'm getting:

15 20rd mags
    1k rounds ammo
    USGI Web Sling
    Cleaning kit for stock

Is there anything else I need? Maybe a book describing proper maintenance/minor repair/history and the like. I hear there are tools you need to clean the rifle properly what are they?

Hopefully in the future I can pick up some USGI parts but for now I'd rather not fix what isn't broken considering SAI's warranty. I'd rather invest the money in the above items at this point.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Default Re: Soon to get an M1A need advice

yea you need one more M1A

(Philadelphia County)

I wish I could afford two, becuase if I could I'd get a Garand as well as some more ammo .

Does anyone know of a good .308 round for a suburban setting, preferably with low penetration?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    Does anyone know of a good .308 round for a suburban setting, preferably with low penetration?
    Yep! It's called a 5.56mm

Seriously though Congrats on the M1A -- 15 Magazines? I only have 7 for mine.

Save up for the Garand, I have a .308 SA I bought back in the 80's -- They did a nice job with it, It even has the WWII style locking sight bar. While it isn't 100% GI it's still a very well made rifle.

Did you get all the above as a package deal, or just gathering everything together?

Enjoy

TJ
    Recoil Happens

my $.02 on the ammo is to spend a little extra $$ and get Federal American eagle 150's. I shoot these out of my loaded and they are almost as accurate as the M118's (NATO sniper round), at 1/2 the price.

why spend the $$ on an M1A, then feed it junk ammo so it doesn't shoot any better than the Saiga?

don't make my mistake, spend a little more on better ammo, so you can shoot accurately and get your $$ worth.

second choices would be Winchester White Box 147's or Magtech's. these are almost the same price as the American Eagle 150's.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't have it quite yet, but the downpayment is sent and I'll be picking it up within the month.

I intend to get a reloading press so that I can reload my ammo, and get match quality stuff; but I'm specifically looking for some ammo that is safer to shoot in a house.

I was considering the tap 110-grains, but idk if they are the best out there. I'm just looking for something that penetrates as little as possible, so no 180-grain FMJs .

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    but I'm specifically looking for some ammo that is safer to shoot in a house.

I was considering the tap 110-grains, but idk if they are the best out there. I'm just looking for something that penetrates as little as possible, so no 180-grain FMJs .
    then get a different gun??
    .308 for home defense?
    come on. it's a high power rifle round. with muzzle velocities of 2500fps and up.
    if they make a .308 frangible, that would be the only choice, cause nothing in a house is going to stop anything else.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Pike County)

(Philadelphia County)

I know its not ideal nor a good idea. I simply want rounds that penetrate less...what is so hard to understand?

Example: 180gr FMJ Steel Core would go right through my houses walls into my neighbors houses and probably through. While a 125gr Soft Point would probably not penetrate as much.

My go-to gun right now is a 10/22 which is less than ideal, but all I have right now. I am confident that at the distances likely to be encountered I have the skills to put 10 rounds on a goblin in under 3 seconds. After that the weapon is a fantastic club in the hands of a fairly large person such as myself.

Jon,

Not so sure I'm following your logic, I think if you can afford an M1A, 1K of 7.62 cal and 15 magazines. You can afford a $200 Shotgun which is the ultimate home defense gun. One Blast from a 12 gauge loaded with 00Buck and it's GoodNight for any BG. Remember: A Shotgun is the original Point and Click interface.

Waking up from a sound sleep at 2am , grabbing your 10/22 or M1A and trying to put 10 rounds on target while your'e still half asleep and can't even see straight, I'm thinking you'd be very lucky to get 1 round on target and that's if you can find your rifle in the dark.

You can always try setting the alarm and seeing just how far you get.

Buy a Shotgun for Home Defense.

TJ
    Recoil Happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast