Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Setup Advice

(Berks County)

Default AR Setup Advice

Have an AR on layaway and after a little research am in need a little advice on BUIS and a red dot.

1: Flip up BUIS. There are way too many options available for these, lol. Are the Magpul polymer ones any good? They are pretty inexpensive compared to most everything else, but I'm a little reluctant to go with plastic. Are there any other reasonably prices BUIS out there (around $100-$125 for front & rear)?

2: A Primary Arms or Vortex StrikeFire red dot with the option of possibly adding the PA 3x magnifier with the flip mount. I've heard good things about both for the price. I know there are better brands, but an ACOG, VCOG, even an Eotech or Aimpoint is just too high for my starter budget.

The flip mount would likely place a magnifier over the rear folding BUIS. Then it could be flipped to the side to deploy the BUIS. Or would it be a better idea to just have solid iron sights and co-witness? Which may bring up the issue of eye relief for the magnifier or even having enough rail for mounting everything. Input is appreciated. Thanks.

Here's the pic from the PA site for about what I'm considering.
    Primary-Arms-30mm-Red-Dot-7T.jpg

Default Re: AR Setup Advice

The plastic magpul sights are fine. If you want metal, look at thier MBUS Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lackawanna County)

+1 for the Mbus pro theyre very durable and high quality metal sights. If you look around you can pick up the combo for around your budget. I hate to say it, but I snagged my set on Ebay, for $130. To give you an idea of how low pro they are:

[Warning, potato pics]

PSA has them on sale from time to time as well. I would also skip the magnifier and stick with either a PA red dot or a variable low power 1-4 or something.

(Berks County)

Looked online at the MBUS Pro's. They are extremely low profile. I see they aren't that much more than the poly ones either. Huge difference between vendors. A couple have each piece at $125ish, others have the set for that price. Are they spring loaded?

I think I know why you advise against the magnifier. That magnifies the dot also, which I can see as undesirable.

(Lackawanna County)

The Mbus Pros are not spring loaded so you have to deploy them and put them down manually, however they have a sturdy detent if thats what uou call it, that keeps them up or down. The reason I advise against the magnifier and red dot setup is because of the weight. My buddy has the Eotech XPS/G33 combo on a rifle similar to mine and the weight is up there. Ive also heard mixed things regarding the red dot magnifier combo like parallax, change in POA/POI, etc. So if it were me I would just go with a 1-4 variable that will weigh the same as the red dot magnifier combo and work better if it has a true 1x. As for the Mbus Pro, I think theyre one of the better BUIS on the market today...

(Berks County)

Got it on the points against the red dot magnifier. So that brings up the question of a reasonably price 1-4x optic ($300 or less). Are there any? Like POSP's for AK's. And any that may also include a red dot? I recall seeing something like that at an LGS awhile ago, but I think it was a pretty cheesy NC Star with multiple red/green dot reticles AND a laser for about $200. Certainly as good as a Trijicon ACOG

(Lackawanna County)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/338...-reticle-matte

This says discontiued idk why, but I had this on one of my rifles and it was good for the money. I like Nikon they have ok glass. I'm sure you can find a used -14 optic from a quality manufacturer for a decent price. I would also recommend the Vortex 1-4. Unfortunately it lists for around $500, out of your budget. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more options.

If a quality optic isn't in the budget right now, why not just use the irons for a while?

Take it from someone who's wasted a lot of money over the years trying to save money on optics- DON'T BUY CHEAP GLASS, because sometime down the road, you'll wish you'd waited.

Save your money until you can get an Aimpoint. I have a Comp M3 that hasn't been turned off in seven years. I replaced the battery in it last year. My three year old PRO has been on for three years so far with the original battery.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I bought an Aimpoint PRO and a Larue lower 1/3rd cantilever mount which can be used with a magnifier. I had planned to pick up a magnifier down the road but have axed that plan. The reason is weight, bulk and price for a decent magnifier. The PRO alone added noticeable weight to my AR and throwing on a heavy magnifier will only make it worse. So I am going to pick up a 1-4 scope and a good quick disconnect mount.

If I were you I would buy a Vortex SPARC and sometime down the road pick up a 1-4 or other scope for your rifle. Though you could put on a magnifier with the Sparc if you want.

PSA has the older first gen Sparc for $120 using the code "sparc". They also have the Strikefire for $100.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...dot-optic.html

For a scope I plan to pick up a Vortex Viper PST 1.4 in the future.($500) However I have heard some good things about Primary Arms 1-6. Primary Arms is a good company. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...p/paps1-6x.htm
    Last edited by dkf; October 12th, 2014 at 08:57 PM.

They even clear my switch view

Irons are fun to shoot with.

I'm with IronButt on the cheap glass. Don't do it.
    Last edited by animalmother85; October 12th, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast