Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AR Setup Advice

(Beaver County)

Default Re: AR Setup Advice

If I recall you are getting an AA blem rifle from Bud's right?

AA uses a railed gas block so you will have to get metal sights. Polymer on a metal gas/piston block is a no no.

I have no grief on "budget" optics. Don't buy junk, but I like Vortex for what it is. That being said, +1000 for Aimpoints and I have enjoyed Eotechs as well. But my GTW optic choice for a RDS is Aimpoint. I love my CompM4 and plan to get another one some day. The CompML3 is going on a rifle for sale or I may just list it separate.

The irons on these are the PSA metal flip ups. They're the same ones Sig uses. I like them. They were once sub $100 for a set, but I see the rear is back up in price with no sign of the front or set available.

And for the love of God, do not put a fucking BAD lever on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

I'm with you on the iron sights first, then a decent quality optic instead of a crappy one with more features. Just trying to scope it all out before I start buying. I like the Magpul MBUS because they're spring loaded, but using the front on the gas block appears to be a problem because they are poly. So the MBUS Pro's might be a better choice. I suppose the spring loaded option isn't really a deal breaker, and really just something else to go wrong.

Recently read one bad review of the PA red dot, so for just a bit more money, a Sparc sounds like a better choice.

I'd go with the SPARC II. It doesn't (or should I say, shouldn't) have some of the flaws of the original SPARC, like shutting off randomly.

(Lackawanna County)

PSA has the Mbus Pro rear sight on sale for $74.70 after the coupon code "backup".

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    If I recall you are getting an AA blem rifle from Bud's right?

AA uses a railed gas block so you will have to get metal sights. Polymer on a metal gas/piston block is a no no.

The irons on these are the PSA metal flip ups. They're the same ones Sig uses. I like them. They were once sub $100 for a set, but I see the rear is back up in price with no sign of the front or set available.
    Yep, so I ruled them out. Just wish the Pro's were spring loaded. So still looking in that price range for spring loaded, but no luck. I guess that in all practicality, flipping up the sight is nearly the same motion as pushing the release for a spring loaded sight.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    And for the love of God, do not put a fucking BAD lever on it.
    Do you mean a quick release lever?

Another question: I see some BUIS manufacturers offer a front as 'handguard rail height' or 'gas block height'. I'm not sure why that matters. The gas block and the receiver rail are the same height. Wouldn't a railed handguard line up with those so all rail sections are at the same height?
    Last edited by esh21167; October 13th, 2014 at 06:49 PM.

No, I mean one of those awful levers that attactches to your mag release/bolt hold that wraps down and around into your trigger well.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    No, I mean one of those awful levers that attactches to your mag release/bolt hold that wraps down and around into your trigger well.
    Ok, I never heard of such a thing, but I am new to this. Sounds like a gimmick. What is it supposed to do? I'm hoping to keep it fairly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Ok, I never heard of such a thing, but I am new to this. Sounds like a gimmick. What is it supposed to do? I'm hoping to keep it fairly simple.
    It sucks;
    http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG980/misc

What it's supposed to do: give you the ability to manipulate your bolt with your firing hand.

What it actually does: Sucks. It also speeds you along to faster NDs under duress.

(Berks County)

Yep, so I ruled them out. Just wish the Pro's were spring loaded. So still looking in that price range for spring loaded, but no luck. I guess that in all practicality, flipping up the sight is nearly the same motion as pushing the release for a spring loaded sight.

Stick with metal sights. You won't notice any real speed advantage in the manual flip to the spring assistant flip up sights.

Do you mean a quick release lever?

Another question: I see some BUIS manufacturers offer a front as 'handguard rail height' or 'gas block height'. I'm not sure why that matters. The gas block and the receiver rail are the same height. Wouldn't a railed handguard line up with those so all rail sections are at the same height?
    There is a slight height difference beteween the gas block and the standard front sight. Found that out the hard way on a build I just did that had a gas block :|

That lever allows you to release the bolt carrier with your trigger finger instead of using the standard issue bolt release. Looks like it will either break from hard use or worse you will engage it when you don't want to lock the bolt to the rear.
    gotta love her ;)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast