Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Odd 30/30 question

Ok, here goes. reloading for 30/30 do or has anyone loaded up a V-Max/Spire point or any number of NON FP/RN for a 1st shot in the chamber round? not to load in the tube but to have in the chamber for your first shot. I can not think of a reason this would be bad but I am not Chuck Hawks IRL so I would like some input from this information factory.
    DEEDS NOT WORDS..GFY!!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Odd 30/30 question

You can do that. Won't shoot to same point, don't mix it up but yeah you can do it no problem.

(Lancaster County)

What you want for that is Hornady's 160 grain FTX, the LeveRevolution bullet. It has that polymer pointy tip that's safe to use in lever gun tube magazines--flies well but doesn't dent primers because it's soft and flexible. DEVASTATING on deer. Going to load up a bunch myself.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Adams County)

i did for years for a frien of mine that put one in the chamber and one in the tube.

(York County)

My 30-30 is a bolt and i have always loaded pointed bullets however I have had issues with having the overall length be too long. I did not want to seat the bullet to deep into the case it compressed the powder. I was having issues with compressing powder with IMR 3031 however I went to BLC2 powder and that was not a problem.

I loaded pointed tipped bullets for a friend with a Marlin 30-30 and he would, like others, load one and keep one in the mag.

He found with his gun the point of impact was off over 5 inches at 100 yards when going from flat to pointed tipped bullets.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJH245 View Post

He found with his gun the point of impact was off over 5 inches at 100 yards when going from flat to pointed tipped bullets.
    This is what I would think would be the main problem. It kind of defeats the purpose of the lever gun, (quick follow up shot).

As others have said go with the leverevolution ammo/bullets. I haven't loaded any of these but, I have had very good luck with the factory loaded ones. Definetly tightened up groups at 100yds in my win. 94.

I tried doing that and the bullet did not expand as well. I used 170gr. FT and never had any trouble. When I tried 150 gr. HPBT I never knew where the bullet would go. About the best I could do was hit the side of a barn.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Washington County)

Count me as another vote for the Hornady bullets. I use them in my grand daughter's .357 lever gun. They shoot extremely well and hit like a hammer.

Thumbs down Re: Odd 30/30 question

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You can do that. Won't shoot to same point, don't mix it up but yeah you can do it no problem.
    Yeah..I agree. Problems is 1. it won't shoot to same point of aim

2. It could be too easy to get one into a magazine tube w possibly disastrous resulting cook off.

I have a nice 30-30 and would not mess with it. I say pick one type of proper, round-nosed ammo and practice with it..shot placement should be yer big concern here.