Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: AR accuracy, how accurate is your setup?

I just checked this on my rifle Saturday. I put my 6x18x50 scope on my gun and bench rested it with sand bags. At 100 yrds with about 5-7mph winds I shot a 1.5 in group with my PSA 16in 1:7 upper. I thought that sucked balls, but after seeing this thread I guess it's pretty good. I was shooting 55 gr Independence ammo. I usually sell guns that can't shoot moa groups.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I just checked this on my rifle Saturday. I put my 6x18x50 scope on my gun and bench rested it with sand bags. At 100 yrds with about 5-7mph winds I shot a 1.5 in group with my PSA 16in 1:7 upper. I thought that sucked balls, but after seeing this thread I guess it's pretty good. I was shooting 55 gr Independence ammo. I usually sell guns that can't shoot moa groups.
    That's really good for 55 grain FMJ. If you like that bullet weight, try some 52s or 69s.

Bill

(Montgomery County)

You're certainly limited by your ammo.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    You're certainly limited by your ammo.
    Ammo is certainly a limiting factor.

For me its glass. I just dont have the funds right now. I built my rendition of a precision rig, now all I need is some glass. Id like to go for some neat 1-4, but my eyes arent the best, and if Im shooting for groups, I would need at least 6x @ 100 yds to pull anything impressive.
    neckbeard extrordinaire

(Allegheny County)

That's not bad, my 14.5" LMT shoots .85 to 1.5 with XM855.

This new gun will shoot better than what I posted with better ammo and a good rest. Next time out I will get better results.

(Allegheny County)

I don't shoot AR's from the bench or with glass. However, here's one example using a 20" AR Service Rifle at two hundred yards, iron sights, seated rapid fire, with a mag change, using a sling. The pasted holes are from 10 rounds off-hand and a few sighters. if you exclude the one I threw, it's about 2 MOA. WhiteOak Service Rifle upper/60gn hand loads/RRA 2 stage trigger.

Standard SR target with a 3" X ring, 7" 10 ring, 13" 9 ring.

IMG_0324.JPG
    Last edited by Hawk; January 12th, 2015 at 03:28 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

Iron sights if eyes are sharp are a fine way to hit an intended target. 200 yards off-hand, I'd say that is purty good shooting :-). But the "how accurate is your setup", to me, would require eliminating the shooter as completely as possible.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    But the "how accurate is your setup", to me, would require eliminating the shooter as completely as possible.
    In that context you are 100% correct. I guess I just think a bit differently because of how I use a AR. To me, what's important when it comes to accuracy is ultimately the combination of the hardware and the software.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I don't shoot AR's from the bench or with glass. However, here's one example using a 20" AR Service Rifle at two hundred yards, iron sights, seated rapid fire, with a mag change, using a sling. The pasted holes are from 10 rounds off-hand and a few sighters. if you exclude the one I threw, it's about 2 MOA. WhiteOak Service Rifle upper/60gn hand loads/RRA 2 stage trigger.

Standard SR target with a 3" X ring, 7" 10 ring, 13" 9 ring.

IMG_0324.JPG
    That's some good shooting. I never got into CMP style shooting and now I'm just to busy to take on something that requires that kind of practice, I need every advantage I can get.

(Butler County)

Bench, bag, scope the best I've done is 1 1/4" @ 100 yards. That is factory ammo. That was the best. Most were a little bigger. Ammo is a big factor for me. Cases of bulk ain't target ammo.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast