Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default PGC and Open Carry

I have read about various restrictions the Game Commission has on handguns, rifles, and shotguns. What regulations does the agency have involving open carry on state game lands, while involved in activities such as target shooting?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: PGC and Open Carry

Mosinshooter762

It would appear the the following would apply. You would need the LTCF for the ride there as well as when on the property. No distinction between OC or CC. At the range you would have to follow the rules posted at that location. Hopefully some other members have a better insight on this through actual experience.

From the PGC website - laws and regulations:
    Sec. 2503. Amended March 29, 1996, Act No. 1996-13, and December 19, 1996, Act No. 184.

Sec. 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.

(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply to:

(1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.

(2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.

(3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).

(4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.

(5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased.

(6) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits).

The exceptions in paragraphs (1) through (5) of this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.

(c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree if the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise the violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(Luzerne County)

You do not need a LTC to open carry on game lands.

(Indiana County)

Also from the PGC website (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...&q=151119#2525),

Sec. 2525. Amended November 29, 2006, Act No. 162, Effective January 28, 2007.
    Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.
    (a) General rule.- It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.
    (b) Construction.
    • (1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title. (2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

(c) Definitions. - As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    • "Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions). "Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I work for the PGC. Virtually everyone I meet on SGLs is carrying some sort of firearm. OC will not raise any eyebrows.

(Delaware County)

Ok, now I'm getting really confused. Mosinshooter's question is, what are the regs?

2503(a) - loaded ok in or against vehicle with LTCF or LEO.

2525 - need LTCF or a LEO to engage in activities regulated on SGL with firearm (loaded or not). Ranges are on SGL.

Neither one refers to OC or CC. Wouldn't both fall under the regs? I feel I am missing something here. I'm sure lots of people OC at the range, but is it legal under the above regs.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, just want to understand how everything fits together.

(Luzerne County)

2525 deals with being allowed to carry a firearm concealed while hunting.

If I decide to stroll the local SGL scouting for deer, blueberries or butterflies, I can OC and do not need a LTC to do so.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PropCop View Post
    Ok, now I'm getting really confused. Mosinshooter's question is, what are the regs?

2503(a) - loaded ok in or against vehicle with LTCF or LEO.

2525 - need LTCF or a LEO to engage in activities regulated on SGL with firearm (loaded or not). Ranges are on SGL.

Neither one refers to OC or CC. Wouldn't both fall under the regs? I feel I am missing something here. I'm sure lots of people OC at the range, but is it legal under the above regs.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, just want to understand how everything fits together.
    Some activities regulated by the PGC (under PA Title 34) prohibit the possession of a firearm. For example: spotlighting wildlife while possessing a firearm, possessing a firearm while archery hunting. Title 34, Section 2525 permits you to possess any firearm that is authorized by your PA LtC permit while engaging in ANY activity regulated by the PGC/Title 34. Therefore, as an example, you ARE allowed to spotlight wildlife while in possession of a LtC firearm if you have a PA LtC.

However, you are only permitted to use that firearm for your personal protection, unless your firearm is a handgun authorized by Title 34 for the activity that you are engaged in (example: hunting deer with a .357 magnum revolver). Semi-auto pistols are NOT permitted for hunting any wildife in PA.

(Delaware County)

2525 says nothing about concealed carry. Absent that qualifier, CC or OC would appear to be ok.

2303 and 2525 are sections of title 34 which relates to Hunting and Trapping.

But Title 58 regulates the SGL's for all other activities. Since there are NO restrictions, then OC applies whether or not you are on SGL's, and no LTCF required

Am I getting it Steve?

(Luzerne County)

2503 is the PGC version of 6106 (carrying in a vehicle). It can be either OC or CC, but you need to fall into one of the exceptions, which for this discussion means needing a LTC.

However, there are a few things wrong with 2503. One being it does not make an exception for having a Sportman's Permit, whereas 6106 includes the SP. I have had this arguement with a supposed "retired" WCO over on a PA Hunting forum.

The UFA (6106) clearly states that a hunter, in possession of a valid hunting license and a SP can carry concealed while hunting OR going to OR coming from such places. But this WCO tries to bring up 2503 which says no. I have tried several times to show this PGC law is in violation of the UFA, but its like talking to a wall.

Secondly, 2503 only allows the exception for a police officer "on-duty", with no exception for an off-duty police officer to carry his loaded firearm in a vehicle. Of course he has no answer for this. Once again, this PGC law is in violation of the PA gun laws.

2525 allows for a person having a LTC (or falling into an exception like a police officer) to carry a firearm while hunting. This can be any firearm (revolver or semi-auto), however the person can only take an animal with the firearm provided the season permits the use of the firearm. Like deer or bear hunting with a rifle, but I decide to use my revolver to take or put down the animal. The hunter cannot use a semi-auto, since this is not an authorized weapon for hunting.

Another issue that came up was let's say I'm archery hunting and carrying a revolver, now legal in PA. Suppose a coyote walks by, can I use my revolver to take the coyote?? Using a revolver to take the coyote is legal, but this retired WCO says I'm archery hunting. Well, I'm not taking a deer, I'm taking another animal with a legal weapon for taking this animal. There is nothing that says I can't do this, but the WCO says it would be illegal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast