Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: advice on buying an AR

If there is one take away from all of this, this is it;

Listen to no advice given by anyone who hails from any organization that's sole purpose is to eliminate zombies.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Both of my ARs are shot at ranges. Ergo, I removed the wobbly collapsible stocks and installed A2s. Much better.

On one hybrid built over several months at the height of the "Oh Shit...he won" scramble, I recently installed a free-floating hand guard. No difference at all on the target. Perhaps I'll find the magic reload combo, but suspect the barrel is only able to give me what it delivers. What I am suggesting is, buy a basic AR and eventually the tools needed to change a barrel to a good barrel.

I would not buy one with an integral carry handle, unless interested in that period. Getting one with a rail on the top of the receiver, you can do anything.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Both of my ARs are shot at ranges. Ergo, I removed the wobbly collapsible stocks and installed A2s. Much better.

On one hybrid built over several months at the height of the "Oh Shit...he won" scramble, I recently installed a free-floating hand guard. No difference at all on the target. Perhaps I'll find the magic reload combo, but suspect the barrel is only able to give me what it delivers. What I am suggesting is, buy a basic AR and eventually the tools needed to change a barrel to a good barrel.

I would not buy one with an integral carry handle, unless interested in that period. Getting one with a rail on the top of the receiver, you can do anything.
    Free float handguards shine when you put a load at the end (e.g., loading the bipod). Other than that, you won't see much of a difference in accuracy performance of a free-float and a non-free float system. Need to take an accurate shot and don't have money for a free float, move the rest to the barrel nut/magwell area and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Free float handguards shine when you put a load at the end (e.g., loading the bipod). Other than that, you won't see much of a difference in accuracy performance of a free-float and a non-free float system. Need to take an accurate shot and don't have money for a free float, move the rest to the barrel nut/magwell area and you're good to go.
    Well, unless it's a Windham and only if you know of their success story and the 30+ years of barrel manufacturing experience. Their barrels are exempt from most laws of physics due to their excellent customer service and warranty.

OP, don't fall into the carbine trap. Ergonomically, they leave a lot to be desired with where you put your week side hand.

Something like this wouldn't cost you a ton and it'll feel way better;

(Montgomery County)

Pink triggers give you a 0.08 split time

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Well, unless it's a Windham and only if you know of their success story and the 30+ years of barrel manufacturing experience. Their barrels are exempt from most laws of physics due to their excellent customer service and warranty.

OP, don't fall into the carbine trap. Ergonomically, they leave a lot to be desired with where you put your week side hand.

Something like this wouldn't cost you a ton and it'll feel way better;

Can you elaborate?

Is that because the forearm is too short to hold with that "arm thrust out, hand all the way forward, and gripping it with that odd-looking chokehold" that all the guys training these days do?

I don't know what that grip is called, so forgive the description, it's the best I can do without googling "operator" for a photo.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

you get what you pay for.

You're gonna meet/find a lot of fanboys/douchebags of this or that product who have no issue paying $$$$ for every little part then tell the world about it.
    I've built all of mine from kits or pieces gathered from horse trading.

I've had uppers from 4" up to 22" in various calibers and I always come back to the 11" or pencil barrel 16" guns. thats just what I prefer.

IMHO, the only way to go wrong is if you found an older ban-era Olympic or a horrific creature known as Hesse.
    Last edited by Stooperzero; October 4th, 2014 at 12:58 PM.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Can you elaborate?

Is that because the forearm is too short to hold with that "arm thrust out, hand all the way forward, and gripping it with that odd-looking chokehold" that all the guys training these days do?

I don't know what that grip is called, so forgive the description, it's the best I can do without googling "operator" for a photo.
    You mean the 'c-clamp'? There's some article on it some where but this is what I can tell you;
    Most techniques get run through SFARTEC (Special Forces Advanced Reconnaissance and Target Exploitation Course) and the ones that are worth a shit stick around for a while or until something better comes out. The 'C-Clamp' has it's pros and it's cons.
    Pros: adds better stability to the rifle
    Cons: you don't have your forearm and bicep plus their respective bones to help slow a bullet that could potentially jam it's way into your chest cavity where you don't have a plate covering.

The grip on the mag well gives you a bit more cover, but sucks for stability and screams '82nd Airborne Division'.

Now, with all these fancy grips and stances, they tend to reciprocate. They'll be the 'in' thing now, go away in a year or two, then come back and be trendy again, all while never really losing or gaining any practically over their initial inception.

The grip in use depends on the rifle. I like being able to elongate my arm yet not wrap myself around the rifle. It allows me to bring the rifle in and not feel like I'm doing some isometric workout to keep it pointed where I have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post

IMHO, the only way to go wrong is if you found an older ban-era Olympic or a horrific creature known as Hesse.
    ...those of which we do not speak.

I agree. Put your own together.

(Bucks County)

Need to take an accurate shot and don't have money for a free float, move the rest to the barrel nut/magwell area and you're good to go.

Hmmm...gonna try that. :-) In a conversation with a long-time dealer he opined that free-floats are unnecessary when the old rule is applied to what you have: do the same thing the same way every time.

I did "load" the free-float on a tripod (I have installed a rail at 6 o'clock forward). The hand guard was a 9 inch knurled tubular that I cut down to 7 to accommodate a flip front sight/gas block.

Now, with all these fancy grips and stances, they tend to reciprocate. They'll be the 'in' thing now, go away in a year or two, then come back and be trendy again, all while never really losing or gaining any practically over their initial inception.
    +1

look at the ball of fire companies have got rolling by producing M16/A1 Style of uppers/lowers. The demand for vintage/vietnam era furniture has never been higher.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast