Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default S&W 500 or MRI desert eagle .50

So I've always wanted either a S&W 500 magnum or a .50 cal MRI desert eagle. I know Kahr just bought MRI so I'm not sure if they have any reliability issues because it's a new company. I have the magnum or reliable but I'd rather have a semi. I'm leaning towards the desert eagle because there is a interchangeable barrel option to .44 magnum. Does anyone have experience with either? How difficult is it to find .50 cal ammo?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: S&W 500 or MRI desert eagle .50

i've owned both and sold both. the DE was a neat toy but not practicle for any other use besides a range toy. to heavy, to cumbersome and slow to bring on target to be considered for HD and concealed carry/OC is out of the question due to exceessive weight. fairly accurate, plenty of recoil with hotter ammo and be prepared to go bankrupt feeding the thing. if you've got 1300+ to burn for the entry level model plus money to feed it then its a good choice and always draws a lot of attention at the range.

the SW 500 magnum is a great gun and absorbs recoil much better than the DE due to the muzzle brake and weight of the gun. i found the 500 very easy to shoot and would compare recoil to hot 44 magnum loads or 454 casull. better accuracy than the DE but ammo is just as if not more expensive than 50AE. very useful firearm if you plan to hunt with a hand gun but to expensive to feed just to have as a range toy which is why i sold my 500 and DE.

nothing wrong with owning either firearm but the DE is a novelty gun and the 500 is more useful if you plan to hunt. my 2 cents

(Luzerne County)

Had a S&W500. Shot a friends Eagle 50. If you want to impress, get the Eagle, maybe a nickel or even a gold plated one. If you want hand ripping power get the Smith. Both are impressive and powerful handguns. Had a 500. Traded it in for a 460. You ask why? All you can shoot in the 500 is 500's. I hand load. With the 460 you can use 45 Colts. Also, you can do things you should not do, but, you can. Like, Three 45 cal. round balls in a 460 case. Two in a 45 Colt case. Two 45 tips in a 460 case. 410 shotgun shells with a little trimming on the crimp. And, 45ACP's. Just drop them in and hold the gun vertically the set the primer against the back and bang. Still coming up with ideas. As for power, load up some 400 grain casts......
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i've owned both and sold both. the DE was a neat toy but not practicle for any other use besides a range toy. to heavy, to cumbersome and slow to bring on target to be considered for HD and concealed carry/OC is out of the question due to exceessive weight. fairly accurate, plenty of recoil with hotter ammo and be prepared to go bankrupt feeding the thing. if you've got 1300+ to burn for the entry level model plus money to feed it then its a good choice and always draws a lot of attention at the range.

the SW 500 magnum is a great gun and absorbs recoil much better than the DE due to the muzzle brake and weight of the gun. i found the 500 very easy to shoot and would compare recoil to hot 44 magnum loads or 454 casull. better accuracy than the DE but ammo is just as if not more expensive than 50AE. very useful firearm if you plan to hunt with a hand gun but to expensive to feed just to have as a range toy which is why i sold my 500 and DE.

nothing wrong with owning either firearm but the DE is a novelty gun and the 500 is more useful if you plan to hunt. my 2 cents

Thank you that's a super helpful review! How much is ammo usually though? And can you hunt with a revolver in PA?

(Centre County)

Check out the 460 XVR, if you wish. You can "plink" with 45LC or 454 Casull......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Check out the 460 XVR, if you wish. You can "plink" with 45LC or 454 Casull......
    My father in law shoots a 454. He one ups me in literally everything. I buy a bow, he buys a cooler bow, I buy a pocket pistol, he buys one wit glazer guard. Super competitive guy. I once beat him in mini golf. He bought an actual golf putter and practiced so he'd beat me next time. I'm gonna need to a .50 cal on this one.

(Luzerne County)

When you really think about it what does a semi auto pistol do that a revolver does not? When you pull the trigger on either it goes bang. Pull the trigger again they both go bang. Do this until all rounds are expended. Then reload.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

The DE .50AE and the .44 for that matter scream Hollywood BS. This firearm has 0 practical use and has just about every bad characteristic of firearms all wrapped up into one. Recoil, weight, initial cost and cost to shoot. There is a reason there is 1 in just about every LGS sitting there in the used case for years covered in dust. It's a rich hipsters vision of what a handgun should be and that's it. Got a need to shoot one rent one at a range pay $15.00 per round and put 3 though it and you will be done with it like everyone else who ever bought one.

The .500 while fitting a lot of the negative characteristics of the DE is actually produced for a specific purpose. Unless you plan to use it for that purpose and can find and afford to buy new production ammunition at $10.00 a round or get set up for reloading you might as well take that $1200-$1500.00 and burn it.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The DE .50AE and the .44 for that matter scream Hollywood BS. This firearm has 0 practical use and has just about every bad characteristic of firearms all wrapped up into one. Recoil, weight, initial cost and cost to shoot. There is a reason there is 1 in just about every LGS sitting there in the used case for years covered in dust. It's a rich hipsters vision of what a handgun should be and that's it. Got a need to shoot one rent one at a range pay $15.00 per round and put 3 though it and you will be done with it like everyone else who ever bought one.

The .500 while fitting a lot of the negative characteristics of the DE is actually produced for a specific purpose. Unless you plan to use it for that purpose and can find and afford to buy new production ammunition at $10.00 a round or get set up for reloading you might as well take that $1200-$1500.00 and burn it.
    $10-$15 per shot!!!!! Holy cow!!!!!! I never realized that! If they did that with all guns crime would lower drastically. No thug is going to take out a loan just to fill his mag and perform a drive by. I can't believe it's that high of cost. One magazine is like a car insurance payment!

Well apparently my pricing is way off, but you can expect to pay more locally.
    Keep in mind these are 20 round boxes.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/hornad...nady-ammo-9249

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/50-ae

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast