Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default First time at Archbald range

I got to the Archbald range today to fire my pistol, first time there. I met a couple nice gentlemen that helped me get started correctly (newbie).There were a few guys on the rifle range, but no obvious rowdies. All in all, a fine day, except for an intermittent issue with FTF.

I was unsure what to expect because I'd read a few less-than-glowing reviews, but I found nothing to complain about.

I can consistently hit a berm at 50 ft.

Still no trash cans. No biggie, I guess.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: First time at Archbald range

Quote Originally Posted by harp28 View Post
    I got to the Archbald range today to fire my pistol, first time there. I met a couple nice gentlemen that helped me get started correctly (newbie).There were a few guys on the rifle range, but no obvious rowdies. All in all, a fine day, except for an intermittent issue with FTF.

I was unsure what to expect because I'd read a few less-than-glowing reviews, but I found nothing to complain about.

I can consistently hit a berm at 50 ft.

Still no trash cans. No biggie, I guess.
    Be very careful up there. It seems like a magnet for deush nozzles and people who aren't very concerned about firearms safety. Each time I go there and there are other people on the firing line, I get swept. Maybe not a big deal for others but I get very upset. I don't reload, but I pick up all of my brass just to keep it out of the hands of the people who go to the Archbald range, sit in their car and watch me shoot, and then come out to collect it when I leave.
    neckbeard extrordinaire

(Lackawanna County)

Don't know what prompted this, but thanks for the heads-up.

I was there three times and never had any issues, or saw anything that made me nervous, but that's a small sample size. I prefer the range at Tobyhanna, although I have seen some questionable behavior there, along with some out-of-state plates.

I have never seen a Game Warden at either range, or anyone with any semblance of uniform. Luckily, there have always been experienced, level-headed shooters around when I've shot.

Now if only I could find an indoor range nearby, instead of freezing my wrinkled old ass off.

(Lackawanna County)

Look up Heberlings sports shop about 20 minutes north of the Archbald range on rt 6 between Waymart and Honesdale. For a small fee they have a low-key but decent indoor range for pistol and also .22LR rifles. Nice people,And it's a drive, but it's nice to go when there's snow on the ground
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for that. I think I spoke to them a while ago about that range, was kinda hoping there might be something closer but haven't found anything else yet. I will have to get up there one day soon.

I know Advanced Arms has one planned, but it's still a ways off.

Scranton seems like a bit of a dead zone for shooting-related activities, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised - it's a dead zone for most things that are enjoyable.