Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Pre-emption questions?

I have been reading up on some of the information regarding Pre-emption and the counties or towns that seem to not be honoring it. I have seen the e-mails from the NRA regarding the HB2011 saying that some cities have their own firearm regs like Harrisburg or Philly. I have not been able to find a list by city of the difference in ordinance or law as compared to the rest of PA. My concern is that there maybe different restrictions on CC, open carry or transport or car storage. I want to be sure that I do not cause myself any unnecessary headaches or fines.

Thanks in advance.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Pre-emption questions?

There are no differences except that Philadelphia requires a LTCF for open carry as well as concealed.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by early1900s View Post
    There are no differences except that Philadelphia requires a LTCF for open carry as well as concealed.
    Just to clarify - Philadelphia doesn't require a LTCF to open carry (they don't have the authority to require that), but instead state law requires a LTCF to carry (open or concealed) in a city of the 1st class (which Philadelphia is the only one)..

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I have been reading up on some of the information regarding Pre-emption and the counties or towns that seem to not be honoring it. I have seen the e-mails from the NRA regarding the HB2011 saying that some cities have their own firearm regs like Harrisburg or Philly. I have not been able to find a list by city of the difference in ordinance or law as compared to the rest of PA. My concern is that there maybe different restrictions on CC, open carry or transport or car storage. I want to be sure that I do not cause myself any unnecessary headaches or fines.

Thanks in advance.
    There are cities and municipalities that have banned the carry of firearms in parks and municipal buildings. This is also pre-empted by state law. I'm not aware of any master list so check signs when entering such places and proceed with due caution. Please contact your state senator and ask that he/she support HB1243 and help move it through the senate this session. This bill will help correct this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    There are cities and municipalities that have banned the carry of firearms in parks and municipal buildings. This is also pre-empted by state law. I'm not aware of any master list so check signs when entering such places and proceed with due caution. Please contact your state senator and ask that he/she support HB1243 and help move it through the senate this session. This bill will help correct this issue.
    Thank you for the info and both my wife and I have signed the petition and called.

(Bucks County)

A city of the first class is a city of 1 million or more. Philadelphia is losing its population at a fair clip. When it hits below 1 million, there should be fireworks and celebration! (of course, the wonderfully honest politicos of Philly will never let it be known, and the national census will "adjust for unavoidable inaccuracies" for as long as it can).