Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: No Carry on Millers Ferry Put-In-Bay OH

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyUrbs View Post
    No Concealed Carry.

Open it is.
    You don't want to play the semantics game in Ohio. If they have a sign prohibiting guns, you better either not carry or carry concealed. The latter of course is illegal, and I would never condone such behavior.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Be careful when on board a vessel on waters bordered by two states. The laws of each state are bulkhead-to-bulkhead, when on the water, not divided by that broken line on the chart or map.
    Put-in-bay and Port Clinton and the waters between are entirely within the state of Ohio.

The OP commits an M4 by carrying (concealed or open) into/onto a signed premises in Ohio.

I would not take it in carry-on baggage you can reach because I'm almost certain if caught you'd be charged with "carrying." And I'm not aware that they check luggage on Miller's Ferry, so I'm not even sure there is a reasonable way to get your firearm over to Put-in-Bay this way.

But let's say that you did: you almost have to be carrying on an Ohio license. If you are on anything with Ohio reciprocity, you might be able to fly into the airport but once you get anywhere near/around Put-in-Bay proper, you are most certainly in violation of the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act because essentially everything in the town is within 1000 feet of a/the school. Ohio law protects those with reciprocity in school zones--the feds (as they do universally) do not.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    Put-in-bay and Port Clinton and the waters between are entirely within the state of Ohio.

The OP commits an M4 by carrying (concealed or open) into/onto a signed premises in Ohio.

I would not take it in carry-on baggage you can reach because I'm almost certain if caught you'd be charged with "carrying." And I'm not aware that they check luggage on Miller's Ferry, so I'm not even sure there is a reasonable way to get your firearm over to Put-in-Bay this way.

But let's say that you did: you almost have to be carrying on an Ohio license. If you are on anything with Ohio reciprocity, you might be able to fly into the airport but once you get anywhere near/around Put-in-Bay proper, you are most certainly in violation of the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act because essentially everything in the town is within 1000 feet of a/the school. Ohio law protects those with reciprocity in school zones--the feds (as they do universally) do not.
    I suppose it's time to buy a boat...

You raise some questions I did not think about while on the island. I have a PA & FL license. The FL license gives me reciprocity when carrying in OH. Most of the restaurants, bars/shops/etc. are within 1000 feet of a school. In Ohio, can you be within 1000' if you have a carry license? Is the same true in PA?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post

You raise some questions I did not think about while on the island. I have a PA & FL license. The FL license gives me reciprocity when carrying in OH. Most of the restaurants, bars/shops/etc. are within 1000 feet of a school. In Ohio, can you be within 1000' if you have a carry license? Is the same true in PA?
    I will preface this by stating I'm not a lawyer.

The federal gun free school zones law prohibits one from carrying within 1000 feet of a school. One of the exceptions to that prohibition says thus:"(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

The ATF has said that they interpret that to mean a license issued by the state in which the school is: so, if you are in Ohio you must be on an Ohio permit--having a permit with reciprocity recognized by Ohio is not good enough, per the ATF. This is true of all states, not just Ohio.

Ohio law tends to treat "concealed handgun licenses" the same whether they are Ohio issued or from a reciprocal state.

As a practical matter, you'd have to be federal charged. I know lots of folks who regularly carry in Ohio on reciprocal state permits within the federal definition of a school zone as it would be nigh on impossible to avoid them all.

Proceed as you see fit.

There is no metal detector and I believe that as long as you declare guns you are fine. Several thousand people live at Put-in-Bay Ohio and for sure many residents own firearms and they had to get them there by ferry.

Not to be confused with the Millersburg Ferry in Central PA - operating for more than 200 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millersburg_Ferry
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post

Ohio honors PA LTCF. I have family in Ohio. I was just there. Went to a mall in Cleveland. The door I went in had not signs what so ever. The door I exited other end on building did. Confusing at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12