Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Limit number of bumps for ads?

This isn't the biggest issue in the world, but seriously, the free ads are cluttered with items for sale that have been bumped dozens of times.

The difference between eBay and Gunbroker is that eBay charges a fee every time you repost an auction. GB doesn't. Which one is a better source for reasonably-priced merchandise, which one has fresher ads without a lot of repeating? EBay, no question. Because every ad costs something, nobody dumps ads there to troll for a year or two until they find that one sucker willing to pay their price.

After you've bumped your ad the 10th time, did it ever occur to you that the price is too high?

Maybe there should be a small fee per ad. A buck, maybe. Fifty cents for every bump. That would encourage sellers to price their wares at an attractive price that someone might jump on before the seasons change. And you could browse the ads without the old, old ads wearing ruts in your brain.

Anytime you give away something of value for free, there will be people who abuse it. Free ads are no different.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Limit number of bumps for ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    This isn't the biggest issue in the world, but seriously, the free ads are cluttered with items for sale that have been bumped dozens of times.

The difference between eBay and Gunbroker is that eBay charges a fee every time you repost an auction. GB doesn't. Which one is a better source for reasonably-priced merchandise, which one has fresher ads without a lot of repeating? EBay, no question. Because every ad costs something, nobody dumps ads there to troll for a year or two until they find that one sucker willing to pay their price.

After you've bumped your ad the 10th time, did it ever occur to you that the price is too high?

Maybe there should be a small fee per ad. A buck, maybe. Fifty cents for every bump. That would encourage sellers to price their wares at an attractive price that someone might jump on before the seasons change. And you could browse the ads without the old, old ads wearing ruts in your brain.

Anytime you give away something of value for free, there will be people who abuse it. Free ads are no different.
    Thanks for the reminder....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Bucks County)

What, you're not interested in Tupperware lids, gantry cranes or '56 Fairlane shop manuals?

Sorry, I guess I'm still pissed about that Gunbroker auction 2 1/2 years ago.

I'm like an elephant. If you fuck me over, I just want to stomp the shit out of you.

(Tioga County)

I think the ads should be paid for, $1 contribution to the forum. No bumps. Ad stays in the forum for two weeks and then is erased. If you want to repost an ad, $1 again.

(Montgomery County)

Folks realizing that their prices are too high after they're on page two of their FS thread - you have a better chance of getting married to Taylor Swift.

Thank you for this!! i have been thinking it for the longest time but i don't have the reputation around here yet to start a thread like this.

If you haven't sold your item after the 10th, 25th, 50th, 85th, time, you are probably doing something wrong!

I get just as frustrated over the same over priced ads that are run month after month. If I get not interest after just a week or two I know I need to lower the price or take it down for a few months and try again later. Some folks don't understand this concept and/or self inflate the value. Other have stuff that this just doesn't appeal to the demographics of the forum like a truck load of 5 hour energy shots

However, in keeping with the intent of the forum I think the ads should remain free. Maybe a limit to the number of reposts would be acceptable. Another possibility is to cap the number of sale ads per year. If I was limited to 2 a month I probably wouldn't notice the impact. Some members seem to use the forum as a virtual store and would likely feel it financially.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I think the ads should be paid for, $1 contribution to the forum. No bumps. Ad stays in the forum for two weeks and then is erased. If you want to repost an ad, $1 again.
    Charging even a $1 will make the majority of ads disappear. You can say goodbye to free, pay-it-forward, trade, and low value sales if there is any charge.

To make even the lowest fee realistic one would have to factor in the cut Paypal or a credit card company would take. Processing the $1 fee would cost more in time and effort than the forum would bring in. Bottom line is a low fee could potentially be a cost in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Folks realizing that their prices are too high after they're on page two of their FS thread - you have a better chance of getting married to Taylor Swift.
    She's available?

(Philadelphia County)

+1 for this idea.

I haven't been on this board for a loooong time, but the classified section is borderline useless. Its more Craigslist than anything else.

If your trash doesn't sell in a few weeks, its more than likely because it belongs in the garbage and not in a for-sale section in a gun forum.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    She's available?
    She's back on the market after I broke up with her. Wait for the new hit singles to make the airwaves...

"I can't believe he put it in there"

"I still can't walk right"

"My eyes, they burn"

Not sure the fee is appropriate. However, you can see the worst offenders have fewer than 10 legitimate posts. How about you can't post in that section without X posts? How about a thread in that section is limited to X posts (bumps)? There has to be a better way. Some days I have to wade through 10 pages of new posts only to find that there are really only ten topics, the rest are bumped ads from 1985. How about (this is something I've been thinking about a long time) when you click on New Posts you can have a setting to see topics in the for sale sections or not? If I could ignore every post in that section, I could care less how many bumps they make for SOF magazines from the 80's.

I do love that gantry crane one. One day, someone will need a gantry crane, I can smell it.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast