Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Fined for no Obamacare? wtf?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090908/D9AJCL500.html

Fines proposed for going without health insurance
    Email this Story

Sep 8, 5:20 PM (ET)

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR

(AP) Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nev., and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of Calif., speak to...
    Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - Americans would be fined up to $3,800 for failing to buy health insurance under a plan that circulated in Congress on Tuesday as President Barack Obama met Democratic leaders to search for ways to salvage his health care overhaul.

In advance of what Obama hopes will be a game-changing speech to lawmakers, the one idea that most appeals to the Democrats' liberal base lost ground in Congress. Prospects for a government-run plan to compete with private insurers sank as a leading moderate said he could no longer support the idea.

The fast-moving developments put Obama in a box. As a candidate, he opposed fines to force individuals to buy health insurance, and he supported setting up a government insurance plan.

Democratic leaders put on a bold front as they left the White House after their meeting with the president.

(AP) Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa arrives for a meeting on health care at the Capitol Hill office of...
    Full Image
    "We're re

Default Re: Fined for no Obamacare? wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    WASHINGTON (AP) - Americans would be fined up to $3,800 for failing to buy health insurance under a plan that circulated in Congress on Tuesday as President Barack Obama met Democratic leaders to search for ways to salvage his health care overhaul.
    "We have ways of making you get health insurance..."

(Chester County)

Well, you can't get rid of the pre-existing exemption without requiring insurance. But I think at minimum they want you to have catastrophic insurance... otherwise I think they fine you the cost of the public option.

(Lehigh County)

This, boys & girls, is called extortion.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

Insurance of any kind relies on a large base of customers who aren't making claims, to subsidize those who do make claims.

Your homeowners insurance premiums, combined with thousands of others, pay for it when your neighbors house burns down. The people who don't have auto accidents pay for those who do. And in health insurance, the healthy pay for the sick.

Part of the problem with health insurance is that those who typically need health insurance the least, the young and healthy, are the most likely to be uninsured. While those most likely to be insured, the elderly, are the most expensive. Therefore it makes sense from an economic perspective to get as many people participating in the system as possible.

I'll leave it to others to decide whether such a step is warranted, but I just wanted to at least put the reasoning for the concept out there.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    This, boys & girls, is called extortion.
    Extortion, Ponzi schemes, lotteries etc, Madoff & co. go to jail, the Government??

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    Insurance of any kind relies on a large base of customers who aren't making claims, to subsidize those who do make claims.

Your homeowners insurance premiums, combined with thousands of others, pay for it when your neighbors house burns down. The people who don't have auto accidents pay for those who do. And in health insurance, the healthy pay for the sick.

Part of the problem with health insurance is that those who typically need health insurance the least, the young and healthy, are the most likely to be uninsured. While those most likely to be insured, the elderly, are the most expensive. Therefore it makes sense from an economic perspective to get as many people participating in the system as possible.

I'll leave it to others to decide whether such a step is warranted, but I just wanted to at least put the reasoning for the concept out there.

And if those young people do not want health insurance then that is their choice. Why is it necessary for the government to tell me what I need to buy and what I don't need to buy. Next it will be a fine for not buying new energy efficient appliances. Or how about your not allowed to eat meats only fruits and vegitables.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    And if those young people do not want health insurance then that is their choice. Why is it necessary for the government to tell me what I need to buy and what I don't need to buy. Next it will be a fine for not buying new energy efficient appliances. Or how about your not allowed to eat meats only fruits and vegitables.
    Pretty soon you'll have to buy an Oudini t-shirt too !!

(Monroe County)

Totalitarianism at it's finest...
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Somerset County)

I thought the Mafia were the ones who made people pay for protection .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast