Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone willing to teach someone interested in flintlock?

I've never been into the black powder scene before. I might be giving up Pa hunting altogether other than archery. Easiest for me to get in the woods after the first week of December and that limits me to flintlock. I'm a member at Penn Dutch if someone would be willing to show me the ropes on flintlocks there or at a club that allows guests. Maybe "curious" is the more appropriate term for where I'm on flintlock.

As a beer homebrewer and handloader for my rifles, seems up my alley as someone who likes to tinker.

I have an opportunity to hunt muzzleloader in Maryland and I'm trying to decide if I want to get an inline and a flintlock or one of the flintlocks that is drilled and tapped for a scope to use in Maryland and then take if off for Pa hunting.
    Last edited by jtkratzer; September 28th, 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Default Re: Anyone willing to teach someone interested in flintlock?

Bueller? Anyone?

If I wasn't 5 hours away, I would be more than willing to help you out. Deer season doesn't start in PA for me until after Christmas! The flintlock season is by far my favorite deer hunting season. If you still have a buck tag, it becomes a statewide doe tag. Deer are back to there natural patterns, it is snowy and you usually have the woods to your self. A good quality flint lock is a great tool for taking a deer. Keeping your powder dry and having a good ignition is key. It is all part of the challenge. I killed a large doe last season at about 65 yards with a patched round ball. One of my better deer kills given the circumstances. I say go for it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't buy a budget flinter then complain that it won't go off. Enjoy your new addiction....
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    If I wasn't 5 hours away, I would be more than willing to help you out. Deer season doesn't start in PA for me until after Christmas! The flintlock season is by far my favorite deer hunting season. If you still have a buck tag, it becomes a statewide doe tag. Deer are back to there natural patterns, it is snowy and you usually have the woods to your self. A good quality flint lock is a great tool for taking a deer. Keeping your powder dry and having a good ignition is key. It is all part of the challenge. I killed a large doe last season at about 65 yards with a patched round ball. One of my better deer kills given the circumstances. I say go for it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't buy a budget flinter then complain that it won't go off. Enjoy your new addiction....
    Jules
    I'm looking for a like new T/C or a Lyman as I've read those are good brands. Seems like most of the shops are carrying only the Traditions and I've read those are more on the entry/budget models to avoid. I'm looking forward to giving flintlock a shot. Trying to figure out whether the wood or synthetic stock feels better, single or double set triggers, fiber optic vs notch and blade sights, etc.

(Berks County)

I see you're not exactly close, but if you can get to Dixon's near Kempton, it's well worth the drive. They can talk you through any purchase, maintenance, loading etc questions you might have. Also, my main gun club, Topton Fish & Game Assn has muzzleloader shoots - first one of the year is Sunday, November 16. If you have a gun, there will surely be plenty of people there to help you learn. You might find a club closer by that has the same sort of organized shoot where there will be a group of people there who are happy to share knowledge.

My tip(s) would be to make sure your flash hole is nice & clear with a pick & don't put too much powder in the frizzen pan.

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    I see you're not exactly close, but if you can get to Dixon's near Kempton, it's well worth the drive. They can talk you through any purchase, maintenance, loading etc questions you might have. Also, my main gun club, Topton Fish & Game Assn has muzzleloader shoots - first one of the year is Sunday, November 16. If you have a gun, there will surely be plenty of people there to help you learn. You might find a club closer by that has the same sort of organized shoot where there will be a group of people there who are happy to share knowledge.

My tip(s) would be to make sure your flash hole is nice & clear with a pick & don't put too much powder in the frizzen pan.
    I read what I thought were some decent tips and tricks at Chuck Hawk's site. I get to Allentown and pass through the area regularly to get to the reserve unit. I'll check the place out. I take 737 to cut over from 222 to 78.
    Last edited by jtkratzer; September 30th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Spoke to the older gentleman at Dixon's tonight and they just seem like good people with a great shop. I can get a Lyman Deerstalker from another Pa seller shipped for about $120 cheaper, but I'm leaning toward Dixon's just because of the conversation we had tonight.

(Lehigh County)

Wink Re: Anyone willing to teach someone interested in flintlock?

Dixons is only 2 miles up 737 N of 78 and I can second the recommendation to stop by and look around. Plan on allowing plenty of time.

Take your time and do it carefully, it is a lot of fun.

(Berks County)

Oh yeah, hands down the place is absolutely worth stopping in & giving a few extra bucks to. Greg was raised on muzzleloading in that shop with his dad. They're A+ good.

I got my Lyman Deerstalker from him used and he's helped me out with expert advise on loading for cowboy action, shot shell loading & casting. If you do any craft work like wood working, leather working, boolit casting etc, they have a good selection of relatively hard to find tools & supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    Oh yeah, hands down the place is absolutely worth stopping in & giving a few extra bucks to. Greg was raised on muzzleloading in that shop with his dad. They're A+ good.

I got my Lyman Deerstalker from him used and he's helped me out with expert advise on loading for cowboy action, shot shell loading & casting. If you do any craft work like wood working, leather working, boolit casting etc, they have a good selection of relatively hard to find tools & supplies.
    I'm looking at the Deerstalker. I think the shorter rifle will best suit the walking around I do. I love the look of the stainless on the percussion, but obviously I'm looking for a flintlock.

None of those hobbies, but I appreciate the tinkering of homebrewing beer, handloading, etc.
    Last edited by jtkratzer; October 1st, 2014 at 10:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast