Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Anyone working on legislation to allow all forms of muzzleloader for hunting?

Just curious if there is any legislation floating around out there to allow all types of muzzleloader rather than flintlock only. I'm all for the traditional, but I also see it as a debate much like the compound bow versus long or recurve.

I'm looking at hunting muzzleloader in Maryland this year and before buying a muzzleloader, I'm looking to see if there will be any opportunity to use it in Pa outside of the early doe only or regular rifle season.

Not looking for a debate on the merits or pros/cons of either type, just want to know what's going on out there.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone working on legislation to allow all forms of muzzleloader for hunting?

You can hunt with them in regular seasons just not muzzle loader and that was the design of the guys who pushed the season to be created. Now the percussion cap turned into modern toys to try to get around specail seasons. If your only desire is to hunt with those tools they can be used but not when the hunters who want the experience of old time flintlock hunting are in their season. I used to wonder why no percussion caps back then, today I see the plastic and scoped modern guns and think they could see into the future. The new guns present no more challenge then any other single shot rifle and don't need a specail season. Now if we can just get auto loaders in the regular season that wouldbe progress.

Default Re: Anyone working on legislation to allow all forms of muzzleloader for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You can hunt with them in regular seasons just not muzzle loader and that was the design of the guys who pushed the season to be created. Now the percussion cap turned into modern toys to try to get around specail seasons. If your only desire is to hunt with those tools they can be used but not when the hunters who want the experience of old time flintlock hunting are in their season. I used to wonder why no percussion caps back then, today I see the plastic and scoped modern guns and think they could see into the future. The new guns present no more challenge then any other single shot rifle and don't need a specail season. Now if we can just get auto loaders in the regular season that wouldbe progress.
    Why, so the orange requirement is upped to body armor rated for 7.62? There are enough jackasses in the woods firing as fast as they can at running deer on public land as it is, the last thing I'd want if I was out there was semi-autos. Wouldn't be excited at all about guys hunting with AR-10s.

I asked because the inlines are legal during Maryland's muzzleloader season and with limited time and other priorities than buying multiple firearms, I'd like to get one that I can, or in the future, can use in both states.

I don't see many deer in the woods in the places I have access to hunt and usually avoid the game lands because of how crowded they get and how people are willing to fight over a deer.

I'd like to try the late muzzleloader season as it's after the busiest time of the year for me for work, when a lot of archery and regular rifle seasons are open. But I'd like to use the most capable firearm for the primary season to put meat in the freezer and this year, that's a trip to Maryland, likely after work slows down.

But now we're talking about buying two rifles...

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    Since moving here some 19 years ago, I was under the impression that such was normal for Pennsylvanians.

(Delaware County)

Why, so the orange requirement is upped to body armor rated for 7.62? There are enough jackasses in the woods firing as fast as they can at running deer on public land as it is, the last thing I'd want if I was out there was semi-autos. Wouldn't be excited at all about guys hunting with AR-10s.

I asked because the inlines are legal during Maryland's muzzleloader season and with limited time and other priorities than buying multiple firearms, I'd like to get one that I can, or in the future, can use in both states.

I don't see many deer in the woods in the places I have access to hunt and usually avoid the game lands because of how crowded they get and how people are willing to fight over a deer.

I'd like to try the late muzzleloader season as it's after the busiest time of the year for me for work, when a lot of archery and regular rifle seasons are open. But I'd like to use the most capable firearm for the primary season to put meat in the freezer and this year, that's a trip to Maryland, likely after work slows down.

So you want to hunt with the guns you like but others should not be allowed to. Sounds like hypocrisy to me.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Because the FORTY-EIGHT STATES that allow semi-automatics for hunting have so many more hunting accidents than Pennsylvania and Delaware - the last two hold-outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Since moving here some 19 years ago, I was under the impression that such was normal for Pennsylvanians.
    I specifically meant two different types of muzzleloader, where one primarily used for hunting in Maryland is limited to a few days of antlerless in Pa, for its intended season, although it's legal during regular firearms season. I have one 260 I like for regular firearms and another for hunting open fields/farms.

I'm just starting to dig into info on muzzleloaders, but I'm guessing the flintlocks are less costly than decent centerfire rifles. I'm checking things out from a company in Canada that makes muzzleloader conversions for Remington Model 7/700 actions. Seems interesting, saves the cost of another scope, bases, rings, etc and the trigger remains the same for both hunting seasons.

http://www.prbullet.com/700.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    Because the FORTY-EIGHT STATES that allow semi-automatics for hunting have so many more hunting accidents than Pennsylvania and Delaware - the last two hold-outs.
    I don't know the numbers, but enough of those 48 are shotgun only and that plays a role in the stats.

What's the difference between arguing that flintlock gets its own season based on a vintage or historical context/challenge versus the ease of use with inline muzzleloaders and the argument between semi-autos vs pump/bolt/lever?

Back on topic...I'm guessing the lack of response to the original post about anyone trying to get legislation through to include inlines in the late muzzleloader season is my cue.

(Delaware County)

I don't know the numbers, but enough of those 48 are shotgun only and that plays a role in the stats.

What's the difference between arguing that flintlock gets its own season based on a vintage or historical context/challenge versus the ease of use with inline muzzleloaders and the argument between semi-autos vs pump/bolt/lever?

Back on topic...I'm guessing the lack of response to the original post about anyone trying to get legislation through to include inlines in the late muzzleloader season is my cue.
    To "get back on track" I have never heard anything about any sponcered legislation. Maybe it is time for someone to get the ball rolling. Maybe we can try for semi and inline at the same time.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

I use then in line for pa doe and NJ muzzle loader.

I don't know of anything before the game commission to change regs.

I don't go flint lock because I am not interested in that type of hunting.

The I line does add a nice challenge to things. Also is what brought me into the beginnings of ballistics.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast