Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Sub $150 rifle scope

I just picked up a used 710 at tanners, not the best gun out there but it was cheap enough. It's a .243 and I'll be shooting out to 250-300 yards (possibly more in the future) I don't want the scope to out value the gun. I have a Nikon 3-9x40 bdc that came on my savage that I like. Not sure if it's powerful enough for 300+ yards but I have to be realistic in my budget. Anybody have any info that could help me out?

Default Re: Sub $150 rifle scope

With your price range you are in the Bushnell and Primary arms arena. What power are you looking for?

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...e_p/pa416x.htm

Here is a decent Bushnell I have used the 4x9 version in the past and they hold up well under heavy recoil.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...iflescope.html
    Last edited by Hodgie; September 26th, 2014 at 01:17 PM.

(Dauphin County)

I've been following some threads on a Swiss military rifle forum where there's some guy regularly shooting 300 to 600 yards and even on one occasion 1000 yards. And he's using a Burris 2-7x30 scope. He's army trained and currently in the service, so I'm sure that factors onto it. So 9x might be enough for your purposes. Now I use 9X on a 100-yard range, but then I'm old and half blind, and don't have access to any longer ranges anyway. Let us know what you end up with and how it works for you.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Berks County)

If you can spend 25-50 more, go with Vortex optics. My Diamondback in 4-12x40 is pretty awesome for the price.

Too often people always think they need 20x power to shoot beyond 100 yards.

If this is for a hunting rifle, you probably won't even get a 100 yard shot on whitetail, so 3-9x would be fine. I know you have another rifle, so you may just want another optic all together.

If you want to dial in your rifle, you already know you choose the wrong rifle for the job.

Get past the high magnification of the Simmons Whitetail and know that you are getting a decent scope. Many of the guys on RFC use the Simmons or Mueller's on their 10/22s and other rifles.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115...ProductFinding

Being able to shoot long distances has nothing to do with being in the military or not...there are more MOS in the military that aren't related to shooting precision rifles.

In the end anyone can make long range shots with enough practice, equipment.

I was in the military and that gets me nothing in the shooting world. My MOS was not combat arms, but I can say I can outshoot most people in the military. And I can honestly say it wasn't because of being in the military that made me a good shot. It was practice and learning the equipment that I use to be able to make those type of shots.

(Cumberland County)

From my understanding of optics you want to use the lowest power you can get away with. A 3x9 will likely work. Anything stronger at that price point may just suck for all you know not helping regardless of the amount of power you might be using. I've turned to being more interested in fixed power scopes. In that realm I hear anything beyond 10x is too much for just about any application at any range unless you are interested in spending top dollar for high end glass.
    Last edited by Kabloosh; September 26th, 2014 at 07:48 PM.

(Montgomery County)

The only thing I'll be hunting is paper, cans, and coins. I definitely don't need anything above 9x for 250 yards. Which is what I will be shooting the most. I just thought I'd pick up something like a 4-12 so if I do have the opportunity to shoot longer distances I'd have the scope for it.

(Cumberland County)

I bought a 10x fixed power to do that myself for anything from 25 yards to 1000 yards if I ever can get that good in the first place.

(Montgomery County)

burris is doing a special right now till december on their fullfield line. the 3-9x is like 170-200 bucks and they are offering a 50 dollar mail in rebate. i just bought the 4.5-14x and its great. havent shot with it yet but i like it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by hammtheman View Post
    burris is doing a special right now till december on their fullfield line. the 3-9x is like 170-200 bucks and they are offering a 50 dollar mail in rebate. i just bought the 4.5-14x and its great. havent shot with it yet but i like it.
    Where did you see the rebate info? Can't seem to find anything on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast