Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default ati mosin scope mount advice

I recently acquired an ati mosin scope mount so I figured I'd put it on my beater mosin does anyone have any tips or tricks to do this at home without a drill press? Or any advice on how to mount it otherwise
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: ati mosin scope mount advice

What I did do mount a scope on my Mosin without drilling holes was remove the rear site. Punch the pins out and with the stocks removed you can slide the rear site off. Underneath is a dove tail cut out where I attached the new(but older style) scope using dove tail mount. Easy as pie.
    I believe they do make dove tail to picatinny rail adapter. Hope that helps.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

FYI you may not be able to just punch these pins out. They are usually silver soldered in and are a real PITA for most owners. Doable yes, but you may need to hear them up.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by elweasel View Post
    What I did do mount a scope on my Mosin without drilling holes was remove the rear site. Punch the pins out and with the stocks removed you can slide the rear site off. Underneath is a dove tail cut out where I attached the new(but older style) scope using dove tail mount. Easy as pie.
    I believe they do make dove tail to picatinny rail adapter. Hope that helps.
    Does the scope hold zero well with this mount? Could you estimate how many rounds you fired using this setup?

(Bucks County)

Yes it held zero. I fired until my shoulder felt like it was about to fall off. About 100 rounds. The sight is an older Ncstar red dot sight with dove tail mount that I found at a gun show. Probably heating it up would make for an easier time in removing the pins, but I don't remember them being that difficult to hammer out. Here is the video I found describing the process.

(Lehigh County)

I already have the ati mount and want to install that it is also going on what was an m44 (someone removed bayonet mount) so I can't mount to sight base like you can on 91/30
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 93-2.3 View Post
    I already have the ati mount and want to install that it is also going on what was an m44 (someone removed bayonet mount) so I can't mount to sight base like you can on 91/30
    Ah, that makes sense. On one of my Mosins I removed the rear sight base to mount some rings on the 3/8th dove tail under the sight base. Like other's said it's a real PITA. The mosin was a 1941 year of manufacture and I had to drill out some pins on the top, the big pins on the side came out easy enough, but I was melting solder for half an hour atleast before I tapped it out [it taps out towards the back is memory serves]. If you go this route you could look into something like this: http://www.amazon.com/DOVETAIL-WEAVE.../dp/B0068YV38K

Some of the reviews on the rail adapter I posted said the mounted it on their Mosin rifles.

That said I would try this for $5 +shipping. drill and tap some holes thre the mount to make sure it's stays put and you should be fine.

That said it you still want to go the ATI route, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it with just a drill. There's a chance you could drill crooked and not be able to mount your base right. Harbor frright usually has Drill Presses starting at around $70 and Home Depot has them at $99. I would invest in one of these because they always seem to come in handy.

Oh!, Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out and feel free to post some pics when you finish.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    Ah, that makes sense. On one of my Mosins I removed the rear sight base to mount some rings on the 3/8th dove tail under the sight base. Like other's said it's a real PITA. The mosin was a 1941 year of manufacture and I had to drill out some pins on the top, the big pins on the side came out easy enough, but I was melting solder for half an hour atleast before I tapped it out [it taps out towards the back is memory serves]. If you go this route you could look into something like this: http://www.amazon.com/DOVETAIL-WEAVE.../dp/B0068YV38K

Some of the reviews on the rail adapter I posted said the mounted it on their Mosin rifles.

That said I would try this for $5 +shipping. drill and tap some holes thre the mount to make sure it's stays put and you should be fine.

That said it you still want to go the ATI route, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it with just a drill. There's a chance you could drill crooked and not be able to mount your base right. Harbor frright usually has Drill Presses starting at around $70 and Home Depot has them at $99. I would invest in one of these because they always seem to come in handy.

Oh!, Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out and feel free to post some pics when you finish.
    Good luck getting a harbor freight drill press to drill straight.
    Mine was loose and wobbly as... as... as something loose and wobbly.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Good luck getting a harbor freight drill press to drill straight.
    Mine was loose and wobbly as... as... as something loose and wobbly.
    ...As a harbor freight drill?