Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Handgun transfer at sheriff's office?

According to the NRA website....

“Any individual or dealer selling a handgun is required to sell or transfer it at the place of business of a licensed dealer or county sheriff’s office.”

Has anyone transferred a handgun to another person at a sheriff’s office? Do any sheriff’s offer this service?

Thumbs up Re: Handgun transfer at sheriff's office?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeg52 View Post
    According to the NRA website....

“Any individual or dealer selling a handgun is required to sell or transfer it at the place of business of a licensed dealer or county sheriff’s office.”

Has anyone transferred a handgun to another person at a sheriff’s office? Do any sheriff’s offer this service?
    Excellent post! I have never heard that before. Could you post a link to that NRA statement?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Handgun transfer at sheriff's office?

(Chester County)

The same document says...

It is unlawful to lend, give, or otherwise transfer a handgun unless exempted by law or by following the procedure previously described. Exempted is a person who receives the handgun and has a license to carry; or who is engaged in a Pennsylvania Game Commission or NRA hunter safety, firearm training, or competition program; or who is engaged in hunting or trapping.

Does this mean that you don't have to pay an FFL for a transfer if you have a PA CCW license?

(Luzerne County)

The info is wrong, you cannot transfer the ownership unless its through a FFL. You can lend a handgun to someone who has a LTC, is hunting, target shooting, etc.

(Berks County)

+1 for steve

Pennsylvania law generally requires private transfers of certain firearms, such as handguns, to be
    run through an FFL or a sheriff to allow PICS checks to be conducted, and State records of sale
    to be prepared, prior to the transfers.
    NICS regulations prohibit FFLs from using NICS to conduct a background check on a person
    who is not attempting to acquire a firearm from the FFL. Therefore, in a “private transfer,” an
    FFL who conducts a PICS check without taking a firearm into inventory would violate NICS
    regulations. The FFL would be doing a PICS check on someone who was not attempting to
    acquire a firearm from the FFL.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/122905pe...openletter.pdf By law, the Sheriff can facilitate a transfer. Mind you I would think most people would prefer to go through a FFL.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Centre County)

Here in Centre County the sheriffs office WILL NOT do a firearms transfer. They will refer you to a local FFL. I don't know about other counties.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Here in Centre County the sheriffs office WILL NOT do a firearms transfer. They will refer you to a local FFL. I don't know about other counties.
    Next time you go to a Sheriff sale if you see a gun there you like, ask him to go to your favorite FFL with you see how fast the paperwork comes out. They have all the paperwork, wether or not they decide to actually do it is an other thing. Same goes for automotive sales, home sales, Thats why they are the ones conduction these sales.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Centre County)

OK, I should have said that they advised me that although they CAN, they choose not to do personal firearms transactions, they would prefer you go to a local FFL. I suppose you could press the issue, but why take a chance of getting on the wrong side of your sheriff (and the deputies that run the office). They said that during a sheriffs or other sale that THEY are conducting they are obligated to do the paperwork and PICS and have all the paperwork right there.

By the way, I do have an FFL (I run a small gunsmithing business) and had asked this question to the Sheriff's Office because someone asked me the question and I wanted to get a direct clarification from his office. I have no problem doing personal firearms sales transactions for people. Most people actually perfer going through the FFL for the paper trail that is generated.

Ron
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member