Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Freezer paper vs Vacuum Sealer

I use freezer paper, on all my deer meat. It always worked good, but I've been seeing more and more ads for vacuum sealers in catalogs lately.
    Just wondering pros & cons, what's your thoughts?

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Freezer paper vs Vacuum Sealer

I too am in this dilemma right now. A guy on another hunting website recommended glad press and seal wrap before bagging. I think I'm going to try that this year before investing in a vac sealer.
    Male RN

(Beaver County)

Absolutely love my vacuum sealer. I buy in bulk then package everything up in meal sized portions for no leftovers. With the VS I spend about 4 bucks per meal on dinners for 2 people a night. And this is not eating cheap stuff either. It's farm raised chicken, or pork loins, ribs. Only thing that we eat here that is costly is a good pair of steaks for me and the wife. Then we are at 7 bucks for a complete meal.

Then because I reload I VS all my ammo. You can fit about 250 rounds of any pistol ammo into a quart bag. Best part is because its sealed you can store it under water if ya had to and no harm will come to it. No more worring about moisture or condensation making your ammo tarnished or corrode if storage conditions aren't perfect. It also stores nice and flat on the self for easy space saving storage.

Just remember cost when it comes to the bags. The brand name VS bags are about 50 cents each.

As for cons I haven't really found any yet besides the cost of the bags themselves.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; September 24th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lancaster County)

I've been using a vacuum sealer for several years now and would never go to using paper. The pros are is that you can a real barrier against air getting into the food versus paper which will eventually allow air in.

Paper is less expensive than the bags you need to buy, but the food last longer in the plastic bags. Plus sealing is faster than with paper, and you don't have to worry about tape coming loose.

With my sealer I can also use it to vacuum seal mason jars with dry goods inside. Things like brown sugar, powdered sugar, salt, pepper, rice, just about anything really. There's an adapter piece you can get to use the regular canning lids to seal them. I've had salt sealed in them for several years now and when I open a jar of salt, it's still in grains and not one big clump.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lawrence County)

I'm big on the vacuum sealer too, looking at getting a better one right now. I do a lot of walleye fishing in Erie and fish doesn't last long in the freezer, maybe 6 months max before it gets freezer burned. With the vacuum sealer I am still eating walleye from last summer and tuna from last June.

I use mine for stuff other than food also, I bought a set of frog toggs to leave on the boat and vacuum sealed them. They now take up about half the space and are protected. I left the bag a bit long (I buy rolls instead of individual bags) so that if I cut it open I can seal it back up in the same bag when I get home.

Vacuum seal all the way. I've pulled steaks and chops out of the freezer that were a year old and no burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post

Then because I reload I VS all my ammo. You can fit about 250 rounds of any pistol ammo into a quart bag. Best part is because its sealed you can store it under water if ya had to and no harm will come to it. No more worring about moisture or condensation making your ammo tarnished or corrode if storage conditions aren't perfect. It also stores nice and flat on the self for easy space saving storage.

Just remember cost when it comes to the bags. The brand name VS bags are about 50 cents each.

As for cons I haven't really found any yet besides the cost of the bags themselves.
    I read this was no good for ammo. It had something to do with the primers or how the bullets seated. To be honest I forget, and I'm not sure as to the validity of it but remember deciding against doing it myself.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Lancaster County)

Don't forget guys, I still have 997 Tactical 10 Packs for sale, only $5.99 each.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Vacuum seal all the way. I've pulled steaks and chops out of the freezer that were a year old and no burn.

I read this was no good for ammo. It had something to do with the primers or how the bullets seated. To be honest I forget, and I'm not sure as to the validity of it but remember deciding against doing it myself.

Well after a half hr of google I only found 1 complaint and that was a box of Win White box that had a bunch of misfires. It was determined it was a bad box of ammo.

I use the VS as more of a storage option than the vacuum sealed benifits. The bagged ammo I have just stores easier than boxes for me. I have over 5k 38 special bagged up. It's a plus that its sealed because I store my ammo in the basement which isn't always the best of conditions.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

WOW, I never really considered the other possibilities. I butcher my own deer, and every year I try to buy something for processing, last year was a grinder, maybe this year a vacuum sealer.

I always wrapped in plastic wrap, freezer paper, then zip locks bags.
    I went to a vacuum sealer probably 6 or 7 years ago. If you buy your bag material in bulk it's cheaper than the afore mentioned materials, faster, and saves room in the freezer.

Not to mention the repeated times you can threaten to vacuum seal your old lady in the freezer if she doesn't climb off your ass.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast