Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Freezer paper vs Vacuum Sealer

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I had to make wall space in planing for it. Moved the family calendar from one spot to another, so the dispenser would be near the sealer.
    Kitchen wallspace for a calender...you're living in luxury. I barely have wall space for kitchen cabinets (:

(Delaware County)

I have a foodsaver and use "other" rolls to seal the foods. My only complaint is the foodsaver tends to over heat when bagging more than a few items. I buy bulk meats at my local wholesaler and have to turn it off and let it cool for a few minutes when doing my monthly freezing.

FWIW I've had three different foodsaver models and they all act this way.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I have a foodsaver and use "other" rolls to seal the foods. My only complaint is the foodsaver tends to over heat when bagging more than a few items. I buy bulk meats at my local wholesaler and have to turn it off and let it cool for a few minutes when doing my monthly freezing.

I agree, that is a problem with them.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

So....bought a second one, thinking maybe that was just a fluke - OK, I can see that. But then to buy a third one, thinking it would be any different from the first two?

One of the reasons I got a more expensive non-foodsaver model is that it is supposed to hold up better to large sessions WRT the overheating issue. We'll see how it goes.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I WOULD do that, but we don't really have the wall space for it. Our kitchen is VERY small. Otherwise, that's how it would do it.
    I am re-evaluating my position. I may be able to hang a roller device under the cabinets after all. Further study is required.

(Delaware County)

So....bought a second one, thinking maybe that was just a fluke - OK, I can see that. But then to buy a third one, thinking it would be any different from the first two?

One of the reasons I got a more expensive non-foodsaver model is that it is supposed to hold up better to large sessions WRT the overheating issue. We'll see how it goes.
    Different models, different features. First one stopped working altogether after a few years. I use them a lot. All 3 cost less than the one you bought.

(Lancaster County)

I am re-evaluating my position. I may be able to hang a roller device under the cabinets after all. Further study is required.
    I ordered new rolls today just so that I can properly size it. I'll start construction when they arrive and post pictures. I could probably build you one and ship it if you cover expenses.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I ordered new rolls today just so that I can properly size it. I'll start construction when they arrive and post pictures. I could probably build you one and ship it if you cover expenses.
    thanks for your offer.

I am interested in your project. If I like your design, I might take you up on it and save myself some time. When the time comes, start a thread and I will follow along. I've currently got 8 and 11" rolls. My machine takes rolls up to 15". I'd LIKE to end up with something that handles any of those...and has a cutter of some kind.

If nothing else, I can learn from your experience (and mistakes), or design elements/parts rather than starting from scratch (;

I think I have negotiated successfully for some space on the counter.....barely. I can make wife less annoyed if I can find a way to use less space. I am thinking of making some kind of stand or base that I can put the machine on, with the rolls being inside the stand and exiting from its side. But we will see how it goes (;
    Last edited by free; September 15th, 2017 at 09:58 PM.

(Lancaster County)

thanks for your offer.

I am interested in your project. If I like your design, I might take you up on it and save myself some time. When the time comes, start a thread and I will follow along. I've currently got 8 and 11" rolls. My machine takes rolls up to 15". I'd LIKE to end up with something that handles any of those...and has a cutter of some kind.

If nothing else, I can learn from your experience (and mistakes), rather than starting from scratch (;
    No problem, I've had this cutter here for a couple years now, I just never got around to building it. I only use 8 and 11" rolls, but the idea I have would work with 3 rolls too.

(Allegheny County)

Different models, different features. First one stopped working altogether after a few years. I use them a lot. All 3 cost less than the one you bought.
    ive read the foodsaver ones are essentially disposable. They break, they break. Buy new one. Mine has replaceable components...if the commonly broken parts break or wear out, they are easily replaced. In theory anyway. We will see how it goes. But that was a major element of my purchasing decision anyway (;

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast