Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Freezer paper vs Vacuum Sealer

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    You'll end up using it for so many things. Giant just had bread flour on sale for half off. I bought 5 bags and vacuum sealed each bag, put it in the freezer for 72 hours and stored it away. Shop Rite had Ronzoni pasta for $.69c a box, vacuum sealed. Pork tenderloin #$1.99/lb Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I bought my Foodsaver over 3 years ago and use it almost weekly and recently I noticed I have to let it rest for a couple of minutes after about 5 or 6 vacseals.
    I tried to describe this lastnight but didn't think it was coming out right so I didn't post it. I do the same thing with long pasta, but not things like shells, rotini or elbows. I keep them in 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids and O2 absorbers and desiccant.

But this is what I do with long pasta after it's been frozen for 3 days.

I can store a bunch of pasta in a small space this way.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

So, yeah. It's pretty much one of the most convenient damned things ever invented. Anything you want to put in a ziplock bag or other container that's not a liquid can be thrown in there.
    Junior

(Allegheny County)

You guys got me interested now. I'm definitely going to get one. Now just have to figure out which one. I will get the bulk roll opposed to the bags.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Had one years back. It constantly shut down due to overheating. I see this problem used as advertising to sell more expensive models. Never again. I double wrap in saran wrap and then put a couple packs in a 2 gallon zip bag. I have no problem with freezer burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    You'll end up using it for so many things. Giant just had bread flour on sale for half off. I bought 5 bags and vacuum sealed each bag, put it in the freezer for 72 hours and stored it away. Shop Rite had Ronzoni pasta for $.69c a box, vacuum sealed. Pork tenderloin #$1.99/lb Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I bought my Foodsaver over 3 years ago and use it almost weekly and recently I noticed I have to let it rest for a couple of minutes after about 5 or 6 vacseals.
    I'm on my second Food Saver brand sealer and both have the shut down over heat problem. What brand are you other folks using and do they have the same problem?

That said, I buy my meats in bulk from the wholesale club, and sealer does do a great job in keeping my meats fresh.

Despite the overheating? problem I still love the sealer and just wait it out.

My food saver does the overheat thing too, but only after 10 or 15 seals, maybe more. They're not meant for heavy use. I would like to upgrade to a more industrial version, but TBH I don't know if it's worth the extra 2-300 bucks for a little inconvenience. Mine was about $100 when I bought it years ago and is still chugging along.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    My food saver does the overheat thing too, but only after 10 or 15 seals, maybe more. They're not meant for heavy use. I would like to upgrade to a more industrial version, but TBH I don't know if it's worth the extra 2-300 bucks for a little inconvenience. Mine was about $100 when I bought it years ago and is still chugging along.
    Keep a little table top fan near by, in between sealings open it up and let the fan blow into it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

A friend gave me this (brand new for free) . http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151287223359 Its a pretty good machine, big pc type power unit. The only thing i dont like is the heat bar doesnt stay on long enough, have to double seal a lot. I'm going to look into seeing if there is a screw i can turn to adjust the time or heat like the last one i had (not weston).

Next one will a vac chamber. You can do liquids without getting it all over the place.

(Montgomery County)

I was going through a food saver every two years. I butcher and package all of my own deer. We also buy meats in bulk.

I broke down and bought a $300 (on sale $449msrp) vacuum sealer

The older version of this one http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-...3Bcat104668380

Since I bought it I've done 30 geese, 4 deer, 2 200+lb pigs and one Russian boar plus 4 30"+ striper and a half dozen 30"+ blue fish, countless trout and panfish any other meats we've bought.

I love it! Worth every penny. And unlike the standard $99 food savers you can replace parts when they go bad instead of buying a new unit.

The unit I have has a fuse, nice fans and a double sealing heat bar. I can seal all night w/o any shut downs from overheating.
    Last edited by soup; September 25th, 2014 at 10:19 PM.

(Berks County)

I have a vacuum sealer as well, and it gets used a lot during hunting season. I also buy the bulk rolls. There are some generic name bags available that are not worth bringing home. I try to get the food saver brand bags when they are on sale. I have also used some other bags that were equally as good as food saver brand bags at about half the cost.

I'm glad I read this post because I need to get more bags before hunting season.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleS View Post

I'm glad I read this post because I need to get more bags before hunting season.
    I use the cabelas brand bags at the moment. They are 4mil which is twice as thick as the standard food saver bags. They hold up really well. I'm sure you can find a similar product online w/o the cabelas name on it

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast