Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Freezer paper vs Vacuum Sealer

I would never go back to paper after having a vacuum sealer, I have eaten meat that had been frozen for three years and it didn't have any freezer burn and tasted fine. I use the rolls that you cut and make your own bags instead of the premade bags, with that I can package single steaks or a whole rabbit. I have had the seal leak before so I always double seal the ends.

(Lancaster County)

Amen for the Vaccum sealer I'm due to buy a commercial one as much as I use it. Meat cheese vegetables, marinate meat for BBQ or just cooking, you can boil veggies in the bag for food seems to last forever. Protects other items from moisture you saw the bullets but use your imagination. I make my chipoltle slaw save that and can shred the rest of my cabbage and it survives for months. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a good sealer and the one thing at Cabelas that is worth the price is their 50' roll of sealer bag for 20 bucks. You make the size you need.

I probably use mine about 2-3 times a week and if you buy organic food like I generally do it lets me buy in bulk and not spoil my food and have it wasted.

(Bucks County)

Ok...I need to get a vacuum sealer

(Carbon County)

Had one years back. It constantly shut down due to overheating. I see this problem used as advertising to sell more expensive models. Never again. I double wrap in saran wrap and then put a couple packs in a 2 gallon zip bag. I have no problem with freezer burn.

(Somerset County)

We used to put at least a half of beef in the freezer each year. Wrapped in plastic (stretch tite? yellow and blue box) and then white paper, we never had a problem with freezer burn.

For years, we did it ourselves, then switched to a butcher. At first he wrapped too, then he bought a sealer. Once in a while, I've had bags get holes and but all in all, I can't see a difference in the end product. There may be a difference in the workload, I was always a cutter, not wrapper.

Dale

(Tioga County)

I thought about vacuum sealing some of my reloads since it may be some time before I shoot them.

(Delaware County)

Used to wrap my deer in Glad Wrap and then freezer paper and never had a problem with freezer burn. Got a sealer and it's a lot quicker and still no freezer burn. There is the cost of the bags but as said but the bulk rolls. Cabela's puts their rolls and bags on sale fairly regularly. I also seal non-food products such as survival gear, clothing and things that I don't want to get wet in a pack. Keeps things compact, dry and organized.

Here's a good company to buy from.... http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/1617042.htm

If you know where to get it cheaper, post it.

(Delaware County)

There is no comparison.

Freezer paper can be difficult to handle and line up correctly, to seal and make hold firm. Vaccuum bags make a perfect seal nearly every time, and all you have to do is put the bag into the sealer and press a button. Freezer paper allows air in, causing freezer burn; I have had vacuum-sealed steaks come out after 8 months, just as tasty as if they were fresh and new. The lack of bulk from vacuum bags allows you to stack them as if you were a Tetris master like me, even if you've never played the game.
    Junior

You'll end up using it for so many things. Giant just had bread flour on sale for half off. I bought 5 bags and vacuum sealed each bag, put it in the freezer for 72 hours and stored it away. Shop Rite had Ronzoni pasta for $.69c a box, vacuum sealed. Pork tenderloin #$1.99/lb Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I bought my Foodsaver over 3 years ago and use it almost weekly and recently I noticed I have to let it rest for a couple of minutes after about 5 or 6 vacseals.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast